Christmas Art compo 2011 (deadline 26th of dec, 23:59 GMT+1)

• 16 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Christmas Art compo 2011 (deadline 26th of dec, 23:59 GMT+1)
« on: December 11, 2011, 18:49:06 »
Hey everyone!

I present you with a Christmas oriented Art compo!

Basically, the objective is: Get yourself an image that is non-christmaslike, and turn it into a christmas image. Once done, I will rate every entry and give feedback that supports the rating and the person(s) with the highest rating wins. The only prize you win is recognition, and you made a cool image!

The deadline is Christmas eve (dec. 26th 2011).

Requirements: You must post the original image along with your altered christmas version.

Rules summed up:
* Deadline: dec. 26th 2011 23:59 GMT +1 (CET). If you miss the deadline, your submission will not count. You better submit your entry on time. Be early if you want to be sure.
* You use a default image that you post as the "before" picture. If you didn't make the photo, you must provide credits and a download link.
* For each additional image you use, you must provide credits and a download link.
* Dimensions: Any size is allowed, but I'd like to see 1080p images (1920x1080) or higher. I will reward more points if that criteria has been met.
* Filesize: no restrictions, as long as you can host it somewhere.
* Theme of final image: must be christmas like. How you interpret that, is up to you. If I however think you missed the point, it will cost you points.
* When I rate the submissions, my results are not debatable. Its a privilege to enter, and you're not required to do so.

To submit your entry, reply here and give the following:

* A link to the source image. Make sure you have it on your computer somewhere, so you can send it to me in case your link stops working.
Add credits for the original author if necessary.

* A link to your entry (and if possible, a thumbnail or the real image inside a spoiler).
* Optional: add some story/words that motivated you to use these images or techniques or whatever you want to tell about the image/compo. (please no comments about other entries. Use a seperate post for that, to keep things organised)
* Add link(s) to each additional image you used in your image along with credits. If you created the image or took it, then please add this as words. Example: the chopper you see, I photographed in 2005 when I was on a holiday in st. Mere Eglise (france)

Happy compoing!

Rules may be revised if there's a good reason for that. I may extend the deadline if too little entries are entered while a few additional entries are on the way. This is unlikely though, since there's plenty of time!

Edit by LPChip: Rules have been updated as per 15/12/2011
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:32:26 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: Christmas Art compo 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 20:51:11 »
Why does it have to be so big? Most people don't even have screens that big.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 20:54:56 »
Why does it have to be so big? Most people don't even have screens that big.

Scaling down is easier than scaling up. You would be surprised how many people have 1080p as windows resolution. This way, the cool backgrounds can be used as windows wallpaper. And if you have a smaller resolution, you can just scale down the image. Try scaling a low-res image up. That just won't look good.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 21:08:07 »
Scaling down is easier than scaling up. You would be surprised how many people have 1080p as windows resolution. This way, the cool backgrounds can be used as windows wallpaper. And if you have a smaller resolution, you can just scale down the image. Try scaling a low-res image up. That just won't look good.
Yes 1080p is becoming more common, but the most common resolutions are nowhere near that. Obviously this competition is aimed at people who know their way around image editing, who usually have larger screens, but it's obviously not true to everyone.
Maybe this should be a wallpaper competition, to make things a bit more clear.
I complain because my screen is much smaller than those dimensions, and I have worked with really large images before and it can get very, very annoying, and at least for me it's not worth the trouble for something as simple as this. If I could make something with a more acceptable size, I could maybe have fun while doing it, which seems to be the point.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 22:01:36 »
Yes 1080p is becoming more common, but the most common resolutions are nowhere near that. Obviously this competition is aimed at people who know their way around image editing, who usually have larger screens, but it's obviously not true to everyone.
Maybe this should be a wallpaper competition, to make things a bit more clear.
I complain because my screen is much smaller than those dimensions, and I have worked with really large images before and it can get very, very annoying, and at least for me it's not worth the trouble for something as simple as this. If I could make something with a more acceptable size, I could maybe have fun while doing it, which seems to be the point.

What size would be acceptable for you then? I don't want a size that is too small though, so if you can suggest something acceptable, then I will consider it.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:22 »
Interesting, a couple questions..
Photography only?
If the original file must be a photo, can you draw the addition?
Also, I don't think it will be too easy for me to obtain an original file-size that is so large, and blowing it up would sacrifice quality. I think 1000x1000 might be a little more reasonable.. (I know it's already been addressed, but I just wanted to show that more than one person has this problem)
:)
Thanks, Dj

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:21 »
I can see how this would be a problem.

I still think the resolution is really a fair one. I for once have no problems finding photos using google and select must be size or bigger, but lets do it like this:

Any size allowed, but I'll reward with extra points if the image is 1080p or higher.

As for drawing: If its additional, sure its allowed. Even if you only would color the image with more white that would be allowed. It will not get much points though, if thats the only thing you do.

I'll give an example of what I'd like to see. A normal setting: Eg. a house or a campspot, turned into a christmas environment or another thing that is turned into a christmas setting. Example: An apple hanging in a christmastree where the apple has been turned into a christmasball.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:57:31 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 14:30:30 »
Hello
Mostly done in blender, a good exercise in learning the composite nodes  :)

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

The images used were:
http://images.psxextreme.com/wallpapers/ps3/perfect_landscape_915.jpg -- the photo manipulated
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/5342727301_5d1765eccc.jpg -- a snow texture
http://www.flagsinformation.com/finnish-flag.png -- the Finnish flag

I am excited to see what other submissions are made, I know there are many talented people on this forum!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 16:35:40 »
Awesome Smeagle, exactly what I ment! :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 15:16:42 »
I hope to see more entries. :) Its no compo if there are no other competitors...

Deadline is tonight, 23:59 GMT+1

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 23:06:32 »
Less than one hour to go. If I get no entries in one hour, I'll extend the deadline with 2 more days.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:31:50 »
Deadline has been extended to Dec 26th, 23:59 GMT+1.

Note, I will not extend the deadline another time. If I receive no entries, its an easy victory for Smeagle.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Christmas Art compo 2011 (deadline 26th of dec, 23:59 GMT+1)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 17:55:54 »
Only 6 more hours to hand in your entry.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:38 »
Hello
Mostly done in blender, a good exercise in learning the composite nodes  :)

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

The images used were:
http://images.psxextreme.com/wallpapers/ps3/perfect_landscape_915.jpg -- the photo manipulated
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/5342727301_5d1765eccc.jpg -- a snow texture
http://www.flagsinformation.com/finnish-flag.png -- the Finnish flag

I am excited to see what other submissions are made, I know there are many talented people on this forum!

And we have a winner!

Smeagle's entry was so good, it trashed all other competitors very easily as if there were none!

Congratulations Smeagle!

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 13:03:24 »
Yay! I won.... I guess...   :P2

It would have been awesome if there had been some other entries, but I guess the entire competition was a bit short notice...