Permission requirements for major tileset edits?

• 18 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
Re: Permission requirements for major tileset edits?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 00:11:47 »
Well, I went ahead and just used the whole darn thing and included the attached screen in the credits.
I disagree with the last sentence. You're violating the spirit of copyleft. You could write something like 'If you want to use/edit custom "Nowhere" tileset, only Richard Dunn can grant you permission for that, I'm fine with it on my side'.

Copyleft?  O_o I apologize, but I have never heard that term before.  :oops:
Could you perhaps elaborate on that please?
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:03 »
Well, I went ahead and just used the whole darn thing and included the attached screen in the credits.
I disagree with the last sentence. You're violating the spirit of copyleft. You could write something like 'If you want to use/edit custom "Nowhere" tileset, only Richard Dunn can grant you permission for that, I'm fine with it on my side'.

Copyleft?  O_o I apologize, but I have never heard that term before.  :oops:

How about: Copyright, but right changed to left? :P

Its a wordplay. Some people use Copywrong too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:19 »
Copyleft?  O_o I apologize, but I have never heard that term before.  :oops:
Copyleft open-source licenses read something like "everyone can use and modify as they wish, but their modified versions must stay copyleft, usable and modifiable by anyone". I think this approach is the best fit for default policy for content whose authors are unreachable.

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 17:54:23 »
Ooohhhhh. Gotcha. But, the reason I asked that no one else use the modified "nowhere" us because of the off chance that Dunn would ask me to take it off. If, for examole, 5 people use that tileset and I get told that Dunn doesn't want his tileset used like that, then 5 more people would have to do the same.

You have a valid point though.
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)