Fonts are blurry/not rendering correctly [solved]

• 20 Replies
Fonts are blurry/not rendering correctly [solved]
« on: December 06, 2011, 16:02:43 »
So I bought Saira way back when it was first released, downloaded it, played it, all was well and good.

Then today I went back and decided to replay it. I reinstalled it, put in my key, etc, and the game worked fine except the text fonts (in the menu and in the pda) are horribly blurry, to the point where in the PDA they are nearly unreadable.

I'm on Win7 with an i3, 4gb RAM, and Intel HD Graphics; hardware shouldn't be an issue. I've tried the game in both windowed and full screen without any change.

Here's a screenshot of what my menu looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/bgCag.png
And the ingame PDA:
http://i.imgur.com/Wmfqn.png

Any ideas would be appreciated :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 15:31:29 by rdsqc22 »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Fonts are blurry/not rendering correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 16:44:16 »
Hmmm, that's something of a mystery, it must be related to the system, but it's definitely also a problem with the Multimedia Fusion 2 is designed to render text. It can happen if the system is missing the required fonts to render the text (though I'm only using default fonts so this shouldn't be happening normally). I've only heard about this problem one time before, I think LPChip was having it with FiNCK, but I'm honestly not sure.

The hardest problems to fix are ones that only happen on a very few systems. I'll ask the Clickteam staff to have a look at this topic.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 17:42:55 »
The oddest thing is, I /think/ that last time I played it rendered correctly, on the same system. Unfortunately, I don't remember for sure, it was a long time ago :/

I'm playing on a Acer 5820T laptop, let me know if I can help out with solving it in any way.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 20:42:26 »
You can try upgrading DirectX, or changing the Windows font rendering settings. I'm awaiting more information from Clickteam.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 22:54:52 »
DirectX is updated, I played around with the font settings but couldn't get it to work. I also updated my display driers, but still no luck :/

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 00:02:54 »
Let's hope LPChip gets here, since he had the same problem with FiNCK. I still have no updates from clickteam.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 13:19:54 »
Let's hope LPChip gets here, since he had the same problem with FiNCK. I still have no updates from clickteam.

I come here. I read the topic the first time you mentioned my name, but Im not sure I have/had that problem. The second time, this really drew my attention. X)

So I've checked how FiNCK runs on my pc. Currently it runs as desired. I might've fixed it by reïnstalling windows or videocard drivers. I honestly don't know. I do remember I had this issue, and I also remember that my system wasn't that stable anymore. Not sure if I fixed it by updating my videocard drivers, or reinstalled windows.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 18:09:17 »
In that case, I'm going to attempt to reinstall Windows and all my drivers, and see if that works. I'll post with the results when it finishes. Thanks for the help so far :D

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59:36 »
This is a long shot, but if you have any specifications in your graphics card settings enabled for all applications (e.g. anti-aliasing, filtering) set them to application-specific.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:59:55 »
I reinstalled Windows a few times and updated the drivers...no dice

This is a long shot, but if you have any specifications in your graphics card settings enabled for all applications (e.g. anti-aliasing, filtering) set them to application-specific.

I played around with this and it didn't work either. Darn :(

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:31:06 »
One thing I can think of is, that the game uses shaders 2.0 while your card only supports it basics. If you have an opportunity to test the game on a different pc of using a different graphicscard, you can rule that one out.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 23:56:55 »
I just bought the Humble Bundle and NightSky has the same problem :(
http://i.imgur.com/25gCX.png
I tested Knytt Stories and it works just fine.

My laptop is fairly new, I bought in August of 2010. I tested the game on a tower from 2001 with integrated graphics and it worked (well, the text worked, it was all laggy due to the age of the computer).

Imma try a new version of Win7 in VMware, and also try booting my computer to ubuntu and downloading the linux version of NightSky from the bundle. I'll see what works.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 00:56:50 »
Yeah, NightSky renders text the same way as Saira, so basically, you'll probably have this problem with every Multimedia Fusion 2 game that uses hardware acceleration. It seems to be very rare though, I wish I had any idea what causes it.

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 14:17:11 »
Hi. I came across this thread while searching for a solution for a similar problem with another   game made with Multimedia Fusion 2. I have been able to solve my problem, so I figured I'd share what I did with you in case it helps.

Now, this may work differently or not at all depending on your graphics card. Check your graphics card configuration for a setting called "Texture Quality" or something similar. This may or may not be under the 3D settings. Once you find it, you will probably be able to switch it between high performance and high quality. Set it to high quality and the text should render correctly.

Hope this helps someone at least.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 15:31:02 »
Hi. I came across this thread while searching for a solution for a similar problem with another   game made with Multimedia Fusion 2. I have been able to solve my problem, so I figured I'd share what I did with you in case it helps.

Now, this may work differently or not at all depending on your graphics card. Check your graphics card configuration for a setting called "Texture Quality" or something similar. This may or may not be under the 3D settings. Once you find it, you will probably be able to switch it between high performance and high quality. Set it to high quality and the text should render correctly.

Hope this helps someone at least.

This worked perfectly! Thanks much :D