Removing Power-Ups from Juni. Any tips to make it easier?

• 4 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
Removing Power-Ups from Juni. Any tips to make it easier?
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:34:42 »
In my new level "The Cursed City" There is a part where the I needed the player to lose 3 power ups. I know how to set the flag with the shift to take the power up, but the problem I ran into was that I had to set 3 different shifts in 3 different screens in order for it to work right.

For example: (Reveals some plot points of the level. Hence the spoiler tags)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Thing is, I can only set 3 shifts in a screen, and i needed one of those shifts for the door. Plus, if I had two shifts take away powers at the same time and place, only one gets removed.

Thus I had to take double jump as the player entered the room, take away high jump during cutscene, and then start the player on a shift to take the eye.

I suppose my real question is, does anyone know of any better/easier ways to do this? Because, I really didn't like having to take the double jump as the player entered the room.
Thanks.
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline Tablecat

• View Profile
Re: Removing Power-Ups from Juni. Any tips to make it easier?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:16:38 »
Take away the eye later and just make that screen not have ghost objects.
You can make 3 shifts on 1 screen, so you should be good as long as you
 take away the eye objects and maybe duplicate the screens with warps.

[mod]removed ascii art[/mod]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:58:08 by LPChip »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 14:31:34 »
[mod]removed ascii art[/mod]
:(

anyway, you could copy the screen (ctrl+c) and paste (ctrl+v) it in 4 screens. So for each shift you remove a power-up and shift to the next duplicated screen, wherein the fourth room there is the door.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:32:10 »
It's a bit hacky, but You could send the player to a white screen upon returning from the cutscene. It should shift on touch to the correct room. Since the cutscenes fade to white at the the end the trick should be unnoticeable. So, the sequence is remove 1 power up at the cutscene shift, 1 at the white screen auto shift, and 1 at the final room.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 13:54:30 »
You could have the first shift inside the room jump the player into a duplicate version of the room, immediately onto a 'shift-on-touch' shift that triggers the cutscene, and remove multiple things that way.

Alternatively, I think in an unfinished level I once removed several upgrades at once by, instead of launching a cutscene, making an 'in-game cutscene' using text boxes and the sticky and no-jump objects, and shifts, letting me take things one by one (C.F. B-Man's 'The Great Race' or my 'My Loving Hadron Collider' - which wasn't intentionally inspired by Portal by-the-way). But that takes a fair bit of effort and isn't necessarily suitable for the scene you have planned.