Winter Tilesets

• 4 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Winter Tilesets
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:18:54 »
What ho chums!

As some of you may know, I'm currently working on a small level called 'Do not Pick up the Key', and in it I plan to include a brief wintry area, with snow. Snow is the main thing.

While I wouldn't be disappointed to settle with using 'Sofia's Winter landscape' (default tileset 26) I would prefer to use a good, non-default one. However, snow is really hard to draw and it was my experience while making 'Eurydice' that there was/is something of a shortage of really good wintry tilesets.

If anyone could advise a good snowy tileset I'd be grateful.
I don't really have a plan for the area, and will base it around whatever tileset I end up using. Countryside is a main feature, but if I could get a bit of a village in there, that'd be great.

If anyone would like to offer to make one, that'd be amazing. I do want this to be of a style and quality that suits me so I hope you wouldn't take it amiss if I asked to see the sort of thing you can do before agreeing to have you make me something. Also, while there's no major rush, I would like to press on with this level at a reasonable pace, so I wouldn't want to wait too long.

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.  C)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 19:44:40 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Winter Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:29:52 »
There's a great tileset by Smashy called tundra. I do believe it's for public use, but not positive.

I made 2 complimentary sets for the unfinished community level Tundra Trek. They say, "no edit," but that was just supposed to be temporary until I finished filling the tilesets. Feel free to edit and borrow from my sets.

Spoiler: Tileset usage examples (click to show/hide)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 13:44:42 »
Ah, that is pretty cool. I like the way you've used it, and could maybe make use of it. Shame there's a lack of trees but this could be good regardless.

EDIT: Hmm, actually that gives me a thought. Is there a good snowy, wintry pine forest tileset?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 13:55:09 by Talps »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 15:45:26 »
Take the Nifflas poisonous forest tileset and make a snow edition.
But there is some default ones with winter trees.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 17:29:33 »
Hmm, I actually quite like the spooky forest snow edition. I'd not noticed that, though I did decide a while ago that I'd never be able to use the spooky forest set well. Still, I'll have a look at how Nifflas used it in The Machine and give it a go. I might make myself a second set to go with it (some of the recolouring from the Spooky Forest really hasn't worked, Nifflas).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 19:48:00 by Talps »