[Enviromental/Challange/Medium(ish)/Easy-normal] The Cursed City

• 8 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
Well, this is my very first attempt at making my own KS level. I've played this game for a long time now and finally tried my hand at the level editor.

After about a week or so, I made The Cursed City.

Please forgive me ahead of time for the cut-scenes "jumping" around or white areas in them. I have yet to fully master cropping.

This level is mostly environmental, but has a few challenging areas with baddies.
Hope you enjoy!  
http://knyttlevels.com Be sure to download v1.1!
Just sort by Author and look for LordMarzog or find it however you like :p
(Thanks to Raicuparta for pointing out a shift error. I also fixed a void screen)

Note: there are not any custom items in this map, but I hope you will try it anyways.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 17:37:47 by LordMarzog »
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Enviromental/Challange/Medium(ish)/Easy-normal] The Cursed City
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:43 »
Just finished it, thought it was fine.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

About the cutscenes, if you want to take care of that "jumping" business and the white areas, here is my suggestion, if you use Photoshop (but may apply to other editors):
Open a gradient file, so you have the correct dimensions. Then take a screenshot of the game (that seems to be how you did it, and suggestion, ALT+prt sc gives you a screenshot of that window only) and zoom in to the corner, to fit the screenshot there perfectly. But don't crop it, leave the full screenshot there, only the area you want will be visible. Then, for the next screenshots, as long as you take them from the same window, it should be a lot easier to make the screenshot fit there, as photoshop as a "snap" option (View - Snap), so it should make it easier that way.

This obviously only applies if you want to make cutscenes out of screenshots, which is also what I do as I can't draw :P

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 16:39:53 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

And thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that. I knew there had to be a better way to do that. Plus, I know how you feel lol. I can't draw to save my life! Besides, I don't think anyone wants to play a KS level with stick figures in the intro  X-P
Thanks for playing  :)

P.S. I don't suppose you could explain that any more? I did my best to follow what you said but the screenshot still has the blue window border on the left and bottom. Not a big deal though really. It keeps the image in one spot at least :p
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 22:36:40 by LordMarzog »
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 00:32:27 »
I think the problem you're having with the blue edge is that neither the editor nor the game show the full 600 by 240 pixels unless you play in full screen. This is due to how Windows handles windows and it isn't consistent across windows versions. The easiest fix is to zoom in on the opposite corner from where you did your alignment. See how many pixels of border you have showing. Move your screenshot half the distance (one or 2 pixels) and draw a black border around the whole picture. Alternatively, you could install my Knytt Stories mod. It corrects the window size, so your screen shots will be the right size.

I'm downloading your level now...

Offline powderj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:42 »
Fun little level.  I'm impressed it's your first because it's relatively bug free, has nice challenges and a cool little story.  I also appreciate that you did the best you could and uploaded it...sadly the "KS Preview" forum sees a lot more action than the "KS Releases" forum.

Keep it coming!

P.S...Ego can't wait to see you in the "Releases" forum!!!

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:32:52 »
Thanks  :) I did a lot of play testing because I'm a perfectionist lol. Plus I've hung around here enough to know that testing is a good thing.  And yeah, I also released it because of the lack of levels  being released.

Oh, egomassive thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that one. I think that'll work, since I use an old version of PhotoShop elements.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 16:25:23 »
I've played it now. I think it's nice. You have a good sense of humor.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:32:04 »
Nice level.
There's a void screen above x1002y996.

Please forgive me ahead of time for the cut-scenes "jumping" around or white areas in them. I have yet to fully master cropping.
You can take screenshots in KS Ex with Print Screen key. They are saved together with the savegame.

Those shifts in that area have been such a pain. They seem to edit themselves when I edit a different shift elsewhere.
Are you using Looki's Level Editor Mod? It has a problem that shows itself in a similar way.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:14 »
Nice level.
There's a void screen above x1002y996.

You can take screenshots in KS Ex with Print Screen key. They are saved together with the savegame.

Those shifts in that area have been such a pain. They seem to edit themselves when I edit a different shift elsewhere.
Are you using Looki's Level Editor Mod? It has a problem that shows itself in a similar way.

Rats. I never thought of people trying to climb out the hole in the roof! *facepalm* Lol. I'll have to fix that if I update it again. Thanks for pointing that out.

KS Ex you say? Alright, I'll look into that. Thanks.

And I use the normal level editor to make levels. Maybe it's just my lack of remembering to click "save" every time I edit a shift.