About using copyrighted stuff...

• 9 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
About using copyrighted stuff...
« on: October 08, 2011, 00:33:39 »
What specifically can I not do if it contains copyrighted material? I know I can't post it here, but what about KnyttLevels? That's run by LPChip (right?) so I doubt I can put it there. And what about me distributing it? Can I PM a link to the level to people?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: About using copyrighted stuff...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:43:31 »
Well, firstly, I'd like to point out that it's not so much about the forum's rules..as it is about the real legal obligations of it. The forum simply has strict rules because it doesn't need to be at blame for content not properly owned by the user being linked/posted here. It's a fair rule. Similarly, Knytt Stories Level Archive is the same way about such things if you didn't make it. It's run by J, though, if I remember correctly. Point is, it's not really about what -we- tell you can do and can't do...it's more about the fact it's just downright illegal to distribute things you don't have the rights to distribute, modify or use.

Basically, you are taking a chance by posting it, hosting it, uploading it, or maybe even having used it to begin with, depending on what it is. The forum won't tolerate it, though, and it'll be removed from here. Doesn't matter if it's hosted here, or somewhere else, etc. There are lots of famous levels that have not been allowed to be reposted, take for instance; "Don't eat the mushroom". Tons of game graphics ripped from a game, the music, obviously, etc.

Depending what -exactly- is copyrighted, or not yours to use, you could try to ask for permission, or find something just as good, that you -can- use. (This is actually easier than people think). Please remember that also if something is not claimed- it doesn't mean it's free to use, though. And additionally, you should always have the courtesy to credit everyone's stuff properly. Think of it as a both a huge thank you, and payment for something you have been allowed to use. Even though a few artists might not require you to credit them, I think all of them will appreciate it if you do. But on a related note, crediting is -not- good enough for a copyrighted work. It's like telling your friend you are thanking him for the TV you stole. You still -stole- it. Saying you did doesn't make it better.

I'm not sure if this is at all helpful, but if I were you I'd either remove and replace content you don't have permission for, or ensure you do have permission. Personally, the first one is the safer and easier option. Your other option of releasing it anyway is not a very good idea, even if it seems easier than replacing and removing things. My word of advice is to make sure you have permission, or get permission before adding content you don't own. If you can't, don't add it and find something else workable instead. It's a much safer workflow than finishing something with the knowledge you might not be in the clear.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:22:52 »
Hmm...What if I were to make the level, send it in to the guy who owns it, then say "Hey, this is what I made, can I upload it freely, or do you want me to edit it so it no longer has anything to do with this?"

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 13:00:05 »
that would require them to install a game they might never have heard of, which I wouldn't expect everyone to have time/patience/interest for. ;)
But the idea itself is not bad; if I had stuff like that I'd prolly just tell what it is (a free selfmade level for a cute game which you don't make profit of) and what you used (for example add a screenshot) or tell the music bit and tell the context and that it'd just be nice to be allowed to use it and bla.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 14:17:04 »
BloxMaster nailed it quite well. I do have some additions to it, just for clarification.

Its not that we do not allow illegal stuff on the forums, its that it can get you or us in trouble legally.

If someone would contact us and say that a level has been posted which contains content made by the person who contacts us, we will of course ask for proof, but when given, we will immediately remove such content, to ensure that no further harm is done to us or the person who made the mistake in the first place.

The copyright law is quite simple: When you make something from scratch, you have the right to tell to others what and what not can be done with it. By default, this is "you can view/listen to it, but nothing more." Most people however think thats very strict, so they often add: you may share it with others as long as the content isn't modified in any way and everyone can easily find out that I made it. In these cases, it is always written somewhere. This is called the license agreement.

If you got it from a place where there was no license agreement, the default rule applies. That means, no spreading/editing of any kind. Only to "consume" it. Which is viewing/listening or if its a game/program, interact with it.

Since most of the time, the owner doesn't mind allowing more with the content, you'll have to ask for permission.

Which brings us to the next point...

If you ask for permission, but you do not get an answer, or you simply can't find a way to contact the author, then you can use the content, give credits, and mention (in a readme or something) that you were unable to contact the author, and that the author can contact you if they wish their content to be removed. You obviously will do so when the author contacts you. Feel obligated to ask for proof from him that he indeed is the author. If the proof is looking to be genuine, you will of course then remove that content from your product.

Also, I do agree with Miss Paula. You shouldn't complete the product and send it as a whole to the person you're asking permission from. Just explain in text what you want to use it for, and suggest the option to send them a link to the full product if they wish to see it in live action. Otherwise you'll risk that they don't have time to check out what you made and just decline.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 14:18:42 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 23:35:57 »
Alright, so if I try to contact them, but never receive a reply, I can put it here, as long as I give proof that I tried? And, of course, I have to remove it if they do reply and say "no". :P

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 23:43:00 »
Alright, so if I try to contact them, but never receive a reply, I can put it here, as long as I give proof that I tried? And, of course, I have to remove it if they do reply and say "no". :P
Indeed.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:07:50 »
Indeed.
Got it. :) I'll be back to post this level in...about two months. xD

Yeah, it'll take a while to make this level, but it. Will. Be. Epic.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 14:06:04 »
Don't forget that if you haven't been able to contact the author, to include a notice of this in an accompany file.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 21:07:37 »
Don't forget that if you haven't been able to contact the author, to include a notice of this in an accompany file.
Of course. Wouldn't want some big company smashing down on us. :P Besides, if I forget, you can always remove the thread until I add that.