Re: [Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 10:20:08 »
The first screenshot looks amazing...
I can't wait to play this.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 14:05:01 »
This does look amazingly epic. I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 21:02:19 »
This looks fantastic. I remember thinking your last level (I'm blanking on the name right now, but it had some similarity to Portal and Juni was subject to testing) was excellent but that with a stronger story it could easily become one of the best levels I've played. This has all the beauty and intricacy of that level, but it appears to have a great story to it as well.
Needless to say I'm excited :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 14:02:30 »
This does look amazingly epic. I'm looking forward to this.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 17:18:25 »
Whoa, I had completely missed this. Interesting graphical style, looks very good. I look forward to this one. :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:07 »
Like everyone has already said , you have a wonderful and quite and interesting art style and direction.
I'm loving all the complexities and small areas of details within the screenshots.
There is going to be quite an atmosphere with this level, good luck!  C)

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 14:51:49 »
I know I haven't really been updating anything about this lately but I have been working on it. I just wanted to say that this is going to be a KS+ only level now. There were some discrepancies with the speed at which wallswimming was occurring between KS+ and 1.2.1. Rather than try to figure out what was happening it really just made me decide to use KS+ alone so that I can avoid there being any discrepancies at all.  Add that to the increased rendering speed on layer 6/7 and 2x zoom making my screens look less cluttered and I feel that it'd be stupid of me not to make it the only option. I'm sure I will use other features as well but that's my main concern. I hope that decision doesn't deter anyone from playing it in the future, but I hope even more that this drives anyone who's reading this to use KS+ as it provides superior experience.

Anyway, for those of you to whom this doesn't matter for one reason or another, here's a couple pictures of me taking a second pass over a screen:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 17:52:35 »
These improvements really impress me. You achieved a mega-nice effect with that new ice. I'm also glad to hear about the KS+ switch... now you'll have finally eradicated any need to worry about 'the tick', right?

Glad to see you're still working on this, I appreciate these occasional updates.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 21:11:25 »
Ooohoohooo, very sweet looking.  And KS+ rocks too, so I'm quite happy with your update.  :D

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 15:54:30 »
Awesome level!
I totally love the previews.

I tried downloading the beta but this happened:
Invalid or Deleted File.
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 16:05:10 by juhj »
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 10:48:51 »
Hmm. I think you're referring to a beta to the level Orientation which is currently in the level release forum with freshly updated download links. Here's a link: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5446.0

I haven't released any beta of this level to the public yet. And that's yet another mediafire sniper shot to anything I've uploaded to it before I made an account.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 22:11:27 »
Just saw the latest screens update and this blows me away. Nicely done with the ice on the screens. Can't wait to see this finished.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Latmey

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:26 »
Wanted to let you know that I'm extremely excited for this to be released. 'Orientation' was fantastic, and this level looks even more beautiful. I'll be keeping an eye on this, crossing my fingers that it comes out soon!

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 19:15:35 »
is this ever coming out? it looks soooo good.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 23:46:38 »
The transfer to KS+ has actually started a lot more work for me. It's nothing wrong with ego's mod it's just that the new features compel me to use them.

While I haven't done a lot with it lately, I've mostly been cleaning bits up and drastically editing dialogue. A lot of the level was based upon only being able to use three pieces of dialogue per screen so things were often vague because of that limitation. I'm trying to stretch things out but it's not working as well as I'd hoped because for wallswim "cutscenes" I had been using shifts to transfer to new dialogue segments often even by the same characters, the ability to use as many different  new signs (limited to three) per screen means that all those "cutscenes" now scroll through themselves rather than let the user slowly parse through and press down to go to the next piece of the sign. So I wanted to fix this problem and let people go through it without the game going through itself but certain scenes are almost dependent (some entirely dependent) on there being no agency to stop the progression through the next screen.

So, I started ignoring that and hoping either it wouldn't matter or I'd think of a way to get by it later but now I wanted to have signs that are from different sources look different. It's a lot of work for very little payoff but I guess I've committed myself. Basically part of the font spritesheet has leftover characters you're never going to use. ego gave me the idea and it's definitely not too thought intensive but it's a lot of busy work. so as an example:

\\ YOU SHOULD BE AT THE BEACON \\
translates in the editor to:
ÜÜ ÙÏÕ ÓÈÏÕÌÄ ÂÅ ÁÔ ÔÈÅ ÂÅÁÃÏÎ ÜÜ

(it's all caps so that there's room for a whole other different looking font to represent a different "sounding" sign)

I wanted to release a beta by around now that at least had the first two side endings in there so that at least three of the five areas of the game would be complete but I'm only nearing completion of the third.

Also, I've been really disconcerted about flags and how I want to handle the ending area/replayability/true ending. I REALLY want to be able to shift based on parameters, like using a flag warp conditional entry onto a screen instead of a conditional entry based on a screen to screen walk rather than shift. It creates a situation I've been thinking about for a while that means I probably have to room duplicate two areas over five times each or more.

So yeah, still working on it, not as much as I should but it's not abandoned or anything. Although I was going to make a level for that competition but stopped when I realized I couldn't finish it in time and I also really need to stop doing other things instead of this. It was going to be connected to this though, so I've decided to incorporate what I made into the level.

Basically it was a title screen that fades in smash cuts to the next screen where the title fades out. I guess I'll use it as one of the side ending scenes in this level now.