Status \o/

• 43 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: Status \o/
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 15:47:45 »
I like characters graphics, but don't quite like how Mi swings hands around when jumping. Also, I'm wondering if you got my PM with hors concours photos?

Is it open source, as in, editable through MMF, or something more like Saira or Knytt Stories, with an editor?
Both.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 04:40:00 »
Please tell me the 1440 version will be available off steam...

Do you mean available from Steam or not on Steam?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 10:21:25 »
Whether its from or on steam or at steam or whatever...

Yes, the 1440 room version will be available through steam. I'm not sure if the same game with 2 different modes can be accessible through steam at the same time where one is free and the other isn't. Maybe as a demo version or so. Dunno. I really don't know how steam handles this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 14:06:02 »
Do you mean available from Steam or not on Steam?

I mean, not on steam. Or at least, not only on steam.
Something about the whole "charging me twice for games I never receive" policy that I disagree with.

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 14:16:03 »
What about this new Indievania distribution platform? :]
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 21:20:03 »
Yeah that looks pretty good, plus there's no harm in trying to get it distributed on many different sites now is there?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 12:59:07 »
Something about the whole "charging me twice for games I never receive" policy that I disagree with.
Of course the plus version will also be avaliable at my own website as a non-Steam version, the way all my games are now.

I'll look into other ways to distribute the game too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 13:01:05 by Nifflas »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 14:37:11 »
I'm still on Multimedia Fusion 2, but this time I'm building the game for Mathias' Anaconda runtime, which is a cross platform Mac/Linux/Windows runtime for MMF2 that fixes many of the problems I've been having with earlier games.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 22:37:44 »
I'm still on Multimedia Fusion 2, but this time I'm building the game for Mathias' Anaconda runtime, which is a cross platform Mac/Linux/Windows runtime for MMF2 that fixes many of the problems I've been having with earlier games.
That's great to hear. can't wait to see how it turns out. hopefully it won't be hard to code in.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 00:19:47 »
Well, it's identical, though I have to be aware which features that are supported by Anaconda. Mathias who created it have even implemented some specific ones I need.

Unfortunately, the level format of game itself is still becoming more complicated. It's extremely difficult to create a super easy level format while having good support for tons of quest structures. Right now I'm prioritizing making the game's own quest really good, then I have to work out if there's some way I can make it easy to edit.

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 19:26:04 »
Unfortunately, the level format of game itself is still becoming more complicated. It's extremely difficult to create a super easy level format while having good support for tons of quest structures. Right now I'm prioritizing making the game's own quest really good, then I have to work out if there's some way I can make it easy to edit.

Don't worry, simplicity is overrated :P

In the game I am currently writing, I am trying to "complicate then simplify"; basically, I am adding literally everything that comes into my head into the game and level editor. Then, I work out which features will always be needed for all level editors, and which are optional, and make it so that be default, the editor will either ignore the more advanced features, or fill them in for you in some way (either by assuming a value, or by a small "wizard" sub-application).

For example, in my game, you have to specify the colour scheme for each screen, which involves giving RGB values for each of the many, many screen layers. This could be very intimidating for new users, so instead, by default, it only asks for the colour of the foremost layer, and for an "increment value". After both are provided, the editor calculates the colours of the other layers by extrapolation. If desired, you can press a button (currently a little man wearing sunglasses, holding a paintbrush, standing on the word "pro") to edit all the colours individually.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're referring to, but blah  :crazy:

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 05:16:17 »
Developing better tools earlier is almost always worth the effort. If some quest stuff can be edited easier and more error-prone, I'd suggest adding that to the editor first. Finding the right way to edit quests and dialogs is tricky though.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 14:49:20 »
Well, I've found pretty nice ways to do everything already. To my knowledge I'm not doing things wrong. Problem is just that my current implementations only make sense to someone who knows programming. I know power and ease of use are not two poles you must put yourself in between. However, tons of time must be invested to create a system that can be both at the same time, and if I did that I'm not sure when the game would ever be done instead. To be honest it's just a lot easier to add a Python hooks and require the level designer to know how to script.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 14:50:57 by Nifflas »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 17:36:16 »
That sounds simple enough. If this game gains a big level making following we could collect snippets of code for new programmers, enough to make simple levels.

I'm curious of what has hooks. Screens? Objects? Music? I think a special object class specifically for inserting hooks in screens would be very helpful. For instance, if I wanted 30 screens to call the same function I could place hook object 7 in them and code for that instead of the screens. I'm sure you have it all figured out. I'm just imagining possibilities.