Status \o/

• 43 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Status \o/
« on: September 15, 2011, 20:54:42 »
So, now I live and teach game design 6 hours a week at a school in Denmark called Vallekilde Højskole. Since "The Great Work" is waiting for the documentary to be released, I'm working full time on KnyttWaDF and I'm making great progress.

All the 1440 rooms were completed long ago, and the scripting part of the game runs beautifully now. I'm now writing the game's story, adding NPC's to the game world, and my new quota have landed at one full quest per day. I do playtesting with the game here at Vallekilde and it turns out people really like the game, in particular the player movements (so the Knytt / WaDF combination works well). Despite the game world being entierly complete, I realize that the game is a much larger project than I first thought due to the amount of story and music, and it'll be finished later than I planned. There are still many months of work on this game, perhaps near a year.

The main reason for the delay is that I originally planned the game to have around 800-900 rooms. Then I became obsessed with using up all 1440 rooms of the supported level format, which took four extra months. Now, filling all those areas with quests and music will probably add up to equally much extra work.

Here are some random NPC's from the game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 21:01:59 by Nifflas »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: Status \o/
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 21:14:03 »
Months to a year? can't wait that long! >.>
On the other hand, how much do you think it'll cost and how much room on a computer do you think it'll take?
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 21:50:27 »
If you can run Saira, it'll be no problem running KnyttWaDF. The game will be free and open source, but the massive expansion level (having a game of 1440 rooms and tons of content instead of a short "The Machine" sized adventure) will have a price, though I haven't decided on it yet.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 22:06:35 »
that sure is a long time to go till completion. I know it will be worth the wait though and I'm glad to hear people are liking the switching element of the game :)
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 22:40:56 »
I don't have Saira, so I have no clue yet. >.>
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 22:51:38 »
I don't have Saira, so I have no clue yet. >.>

Get the demo of Saira and see if it runs on your system.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:41 »
i am hoping it is not too expensive. (Another 20 dollars <_<, hey... i got Saira when it was that price. Well, i got an extra friend code when the special was around)...

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:38 »
Take your time Nifflas. I think we all want this to be as great of a game as possible.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:21:42 »
If people are able to playtest the gameworld already, do you think beta testing will begin any time soon?

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:13 »
Those characters look very cool.
And I guess as long as you have fun with obsessing over the size and filling everything up, that sounds like it will be a great game and what you want and all, so wohooo! :]
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 14:54:21 »
With the main character's name probably being Mi, and with one of the NPCs being called Re, do we have to expect there to be all the musical notes? If so, is there going to be a Si or a Ti?

Can't wait to see how good the animations are!
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 15:39:53 »
@AA:
Homer J Simpson: Do

.. 'h :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 19:16:52 »
If there's too much music for you to make, have you considered opening the soundtrack up to other musicians, like you have in some of your previous games?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 19:24:08 »
Well, compensation is a problem. I'm making enough money so that I can live off game development, but I don't make a lot. I mean, if anyone wants to help me out anyway with music, that'd be awesome.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 19:48:50 »
Given the success of the other contribution threads, one for music contribution might not be a bad idea. Though, I would like to hear from some of your past collaborators...