[Medium/very hard/puzzle+challenge] Tetris Bottle

• 16 Replies

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
[Medium/very hard/puzzle+challenge] Tetris Bottle
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:11:37 »
New level, built in about ten days straight. It's very different from Warmth, if you've played it... this is mostly a puzzle game, with not much environmental work. There are many stages, with new blocks and power-ups appearing once you've climbed high enough. At this point, I've played it through close to ten times. This means I've beta tested myself, and it is indeed possible to conquer every screen. In other words, if you can't, be patient and try again.

I've pondered on digging new puzzle ideas, and hopefully some will be boggling and original.
Here are the stages list, if you don't wanna get clues, don't open this spoiler!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Thanks for playing!!!

Download: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Variad%20-%20Tetris%20Bottle.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:14:44 by variad »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: [Medium/hard/puzzle+challenge] Tetris Bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:29:32 »
You should put it into the competition. Idc if you don't follow the theme. :P
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 13:46:12 »
I've just started to play. Difficulty is definitely hard, close to very hard (might become harder, so I have no clue about that) Not medium. And I'm talking about the jumping itself, not so much figuring out what to do.

EDIT: yes, its difficulty very hard, because it contains a triangular jump

EDIT2: this is frustratingly hard. I stopped at level 7 knowing that I have to replay level 6 too... :(

EDIT3: Okay, I played a bit more, and finally made that stupid jump and now I officially give up. This is way too hard. If I fall down, it takes me approx. 30 minutes to get to that spot again, not knowing what to do. This might actually becoming close to lunatic. Definitely not just hard.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 17:28:33 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 19:21:59 »
Stuck at 5. I don't even know where I can jump; nothing seems in range.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 22:10:59 »
What screen do you see? Is it the beginning of 5? If so, check spoiler:

Spoiler: what to do (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I cheated through level 7. Its just not fun at all with that sticky surface, and now am at level 9, which is fun (and very hard)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 22:35:22 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 22:55:35 »
ty LPchip, now i'm stuck between lvl 5 and 6...

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:44 »
ty LPchip, now i'm stuck between lvl 5 and 6...
If you need help, tell me what you see on the screen (or post a screenshot)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 22:32:01 »
Hey, sorry I don't have the web at home, so I couldn't help earlier. I'm sorry and disappointed that my level ends up being so hard. As I said in my first post, I know where to jump, so FOR ME, it is not only Hard, but even "less than hard", although I'm not saying it's Normal. For players, I evaluate my level at Hard, or maybe Very hard. Some jumps have to be done just right, I agree... ALSO, check the NEXT box closely, as every time it tells you the next closest block. Use the purple save-points... when you gotta go through the fire-area the second time, you should have the umbrella, so it's much easier to go through. Please don't despair, and don't hesitate if you have questions.

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 22:34:16 »
What screen do you see? Is it the beginning of 5? If so, check spoiler:

Spoiler: what to do (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I cheated through level 7. Its just not fun at all with that sticky surface, and now am at level 9, which is fun (and very hard)

The NEXT box gives you a LOT of clues...

Edit: I couldn't write everything in time, before my laptop's battery ran out... now I can :) So I was in fact very disappointed with what I read... maybe I know some tricks that not everybody knows?

Examples: If you hold the jump button while flying with the umbrella, you can go a lllllittle farther and higher. Also, you can keep the double jump "in bank" for as long as you do not use it... (like if you jump once, then use the umbrella to soar, you can use the double jump later, to reach an out of reach platform at the end of your flight). Also, if you want to fly higher with an updraft, you have to fly from the base of it, all the way up. You gain a square or two's distance higher.
Then, another important thing, I repeat, use the NEXT box---------

For the Fire on Ice area, I got through it many-many-many-many times while beta testing... since I usually cannot play Lunatic levels without getting ultra angry (trust me), I deemed that part to be either Hard or Very hard. I'm sorry that some people had to cheat their way through. I focused on making some blocks sticky, and some others non-sticky, in a way that it would not glitch and would be doable. Everything was very well thought, but then, maybe my Knytt skills are higher than average and I didn't know until now...

Please give me further comments and review, I still appreciate the constructism behind them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:36:02 by variad »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:58 »
That was nice.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 18:39:48 »
That was nice.

I also did the same thing. I think this is a psychological puzzle.

@variad: The biggest problem for me with the fire and ice area is, that due to the sticky tiles, if I fall next to such tile, I cannot move until I get past all tiles that have one. Due to that, I usually fall quite far down and have to do a certain part over and over again. I can play Hard levels well, but Very hard and higher are outside my league. I can play very hard levels that have safe spots close to the very hard parts so I beat it the 10th time and then can save, but in your case, if I fail the 2nd very hard part, I am back trying the 1st very hard part for 10 times. I am persistent and try again, but with the sticky tiles, it was getting close to lunatic for me, and I just gave up. I have only once managed to get past the second screen, and since I had no idea what to do, and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to that screen again, it took me way too much to actually find out how to get past it. Because falling down there, you get back to the first screen.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:19:43 »
Eh, this was an interesting idea, particularly the way you've used Tetris interface. But as far as vertical challenge/puzzle levels go, I'm afraid it didn't do much for me because of the very simplistic graphics and the lack of savepoints - so frustrating! I like my puzzles and challenges to be at least a little more consistent visually, if not pleasant.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 23:03:25 »
Level 7 is buggy. I mentioned this before, but since I had to revisit it (which means I'm probably going to skip 7 again once more) I thought I'd give it a try now that I have the umbrella.

God punishes directly by putting me in a position that I either need to kill myself or cheat away from that location. Yes, I'm talking about a bug. Screenshot attached.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 23:46:14 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:32:49 »
WOW, what you say is kind of psychedelic.
Okay, I'll give you a walkthrough, since it seems necessary. First, I tried to speed-run the level twice during the week-end... my record to get through the 12 stages is 13 minutes. Yes, that's knowing the puzzle elements, so 13 minutes is only for the challenge part. I really couldn't get past the red key blocks without the key, so the wallswimming was unfortunately not planned on my part :( You're obviously better than me for that particular jump. (video below)

PART.1.
PART.2.(from the second Lvl7 ascension)

*****(Video)***** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Onvii3H-Q

I hope all the time I put on writing this will help you. I spent about 40 hours working on this level, so it really wasn't intended to be THAT hard. But apparently it is. Oh well. I'm also gonna do a youtube video, a visual walkthrough. I'll find a way to record it, and add the link when it's done. (The link is above!)

I hope some of you out there have enjoyed it... I wanted to put void screens and wallswim purposefully, and I think I succeeded at that. Once you finish it, give me your impressions. Thanks.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 13:40:14 »
I decided to try the jump once more and this time record it with the wallswim together. Took me 4,5 minutes to get this video recorded. I removed the non-essential parts. I wanted to speed things up where you're just waiting, but somehow the audio couldn't be speed up as well, due to being separate clips. Oh well. The movie is 2 minutes long without which is fine. And the actual jumping is about 40 seconds.

Warning, this is a huge spoiler if you haven't played that far yet.

Only watch if you have made it to the end of level 10!
http://files.lpchip.com/temp/flashmovies/KS_tetris_jump/KS_tetris_jump.html

EDIT: after checking your video, I see that I approached level 7 a completely different way. I started jumping on the red keys first (before having the key) and jumped directly onto the top left corner of that most upper block. Since with the key I couldn't do that any longer, I thought I was trapped. And getting stuck in that block didn't help either.

Seeing you play definately tells me this level is very hard and I might even classify level 7 as lunatic. Now that I know how it is supposed to be done, I most certainly am not going to try it myself. I'm simply not skillful enough. yay for the cheat!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 14:28:36 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum