I'm an idiot.

• 4 Replies

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
I'm an idiot.
« on: August 31, 2011, 13:23:27 »
"I'm an idiot" is my new short game I made.
Please read the instructions before playing, press Enter to select a menu option.
ANY comments and feedback are very welcome.

The game requires the most up to date Microsoft DX installed. Obviously, the game is ment to be played on windows.

http://www.pompipompi.net/RivelundDownloads/ImAnIdiot_2011_08_31B2.zip

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 16:40:54 by Sargon »

Re: I'm an idiot.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 16:19:14 »
screenshots plz  :^^:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 21:01:01 »
I only got to the second stage, but I'll leave my feedback here. I think I'll focus more on the negative points, as those are usually the ones that help the most, hope this doesn't feel too harsh. Also, I have no idea what your qualifications are, or of this is your first work or anything, and I also don't know what tool you used to make this and its limitations.

• You have some resolution and window size problems with this. First of all, this seems to be meant to be played on a window and not in full screen, and that is understandable. The problem is, you can actually press the full screen button, which breaks the game visually on some resolutions.
  • Related to the first point, the game window size is quite big. That is the hight resolution of a lot of monitors, some are even smaller, and a light game like that should be optimized for smaller systems like laptops and netbooks.
  • The game area is very very small, on comparison with the visible area. I mean, that sidewalk takes up less than 1/4 of the screen.
  • Those hearts are huge and I think they're ugly. But that's more of an opinion thing.
  • There were a lot of times where I tried to walk "down" on the screen to run away from some guy that was coming against me, and he always hit me even though it seemed like he shouldn't hit me (they should only hit me if our feet go very close to each other).

OK, some good stuff now:
  • Except for the hearts, I actually liked the way it looked. I also like the way you always moonwalk when you move back, even though that probably was just laziness :D
  • The music was cool, even though I had already heard it. I enjoyed that 8-bit feel (even though it's not actually 8-bit).
  • And finally, I think you have an interesting and addictive concept here.

I hope this helps somehow :)

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 23:57:12 »
Thanks for the feedback. :)
Yea, you are right about the moonwalking, I knew it would take a lot(relatively) of work to just draw another animation cycle, and thought it looks more authentic leaving it this way.
Kind of like when games have asymetric sprites but still use the same sprite for both left and right.
You are right about the resolution. I just didn't think about it. I guess I am not experienced enough with the "user experience". Things like, what volume the music should be(which I was told is too loud, relative to other games) and etc.

Hmm, I am not sure what you mean by "The second stage", but I don't want to spoil.
I am beginning to fear people won't experience this as I ment. But, maybe I shouldn't worry about it.
(Edit: it also could be the game is harder than I thought it would be)

Thank you for the feedback!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 00:00:55 by Sargon »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:16 »
The game probably isn't that hard, I suck at most games I play.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)