Windows 7 compatibility issues

• 3 Replies
Windows 7 compatibility issues
« on: August 27, 2011, 21:08:36 »
It seems like NOTHING works on Windows 7. I know how to change the compatibility settings for programs. Just to clarify, I set it to run in Windows XP Service Pack 2. I also set KS to run program as administrator. I have also tried every combination of the extra settings you can select. After this didn't work, I tried every other OS just to test it, to no avail.

When I open KS it will ask if I want to allow the program from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer. When I click yes, the screen flashes black, a notification appears on the desktop saying the colors have been changed to Windows 7 Basic, the screen will flash black again, and then it will be back on the desktop again, as if nothing ever happened. I have also completely uninstalled and reinstalled KS and the same thing continues to happen. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? From what I've seen, everyone has been able to get KS to work after changing the compatibility settings. It's making me both frustrated and very sad. :(

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Windows 7 compatibility issues
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 22:51:42 »
This has nothing to do with being Windows 7. You should be able to run it normally in Windows 7 without setting a compatibility option.

Something else is happening to you.

Another user recently reported something similar. See this topic: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=4971.0

Long story short (though you really should read that topic): a firewall was preventing stdrt.exe from launching. Knytt Stories.exe AND stdrt.exe both need to be whitelisted from launching in order to work. stdrt.exe is the internal name of any MMF application. Since Knytt Stories was made using MMF2, the internal name is stdrt.exe
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 00:06:14 »
Thanks for the suggestion, LPChip. I actually saw that thread earlier and gave it a read. I went into my firewall settings and put KS on my list of full permissions. I even completely disabled the firewall and tried to launch it, but that didn't work either. I've searched my computer for "stdrt.exe" and I'm unable to find the file anywhere to make sure it's getting through the firewall and to make sure it's not being blocked by my virus protection (Webroot). Could it be hidden somewhere? Or is it possible that, since "stdrt.exe" might keep getting blocked, that the file is only created while KS is open, therefore, it's not open long enough for me to do a search for it since KS won't launch in the first place?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 00:46:55 »
stdrt.exe is indeed the internal filename. That means that the program won't be visible until it starts.

Where did you put Knytt Stories? May I suggest to move it to C:\ or if you have another drive, then D:\ etc...

Also, its not the firewall but a program that stops other programs from running. You could rename Knytt Stories.exe to stdrt.exe if you want to do something with that filename. Just rename it back when you're done.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex