• 16 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
What should I know about knytts?
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:56:27 »
This thread may or may not make sense.
In the level I'm currently working on, you control a human, instead of a knytt. This is because I had already imagined the story (kind of) of the level before even deciding to use Knytt Stories. I didn't want anything not to make sense, so I kept humans in this one, even though I'm pretty sure that there is nothing in this level that could go against what we know about knytts.
But the thing is, I don't know a lot about what a knytt really is, or where it comes from. Even if this shouldn't be an important thing while designing a level, I want to know what defines a knytt, even the most obvious stuff. What are the main feautures that distinguish a knytt from a human?
Again, this may not make a lot of sense, but I have an idea for a next level (actually, I have a lot of ideas, but I'm thinking about one in particular right now), and this level, if ever made, will make direct references to knytt feautures, and I want to be sure those actually make sense :P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: What should I know about knytts?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 18:15:49 »
Knytts are shorter than humans and sometimes have tails. Apparently Knytt roughly translates as "tiny creature".

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 18:49:49 »
That reminds me: someone made an encyclopedic topic about Knytts and other stuff a long time ago, but I can't find it anymore. Was in in the old Forum?
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 19:21:52 »
Thanks for the info, egomassive.

That reminds me: someone made an encyclopedic topic about Knytts and other stuff a long time ago, but I can't find it anymore. Was in in the old Forum?
This would be awesome. I'll try to find it myself, if anyone else knows where it is, I would be grateful for that information.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:34:15 »
Yes, I believe it was on the old forum. It had details about the different varieties of Knytt and things like that. Also, another feature of Knytts is that they seem to be generally more peaceful than humans.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:10 »
I found it! \o/
Curtesy of googoogjoob (he wrote it all):

googoogjoob's quasi-scientific vegrological survey
I have made a quasi-scientific thing about the (as I see it) three distinct types/species/races of Knytts. It is called a "vegrological" survey because "vegro" is a very rough translation into Latin of "Knytt". And because I needed something Latin-sounding to replace the "anthro-" in "anthropological". Anyway, here it is, with illustrations.*

*I just made all of this up. It is not canonical in any way. If your interpretation of Knytts is different, well, then, keep it.

A quasi-scientific vegrological study of Knytts:

Harara Mountain Knytts: Tall, bulky. Young are carried in pouches on back for a time. Live in family groupings, in houses carved into the walls of valleys in the mountains, or in small, primitive cottages built of rock from the mountain. Some have tails; some do not. Lose tails when they reach maturity. Move slowly compared to other Knytts, though able climbers from youth. All those beyond childhood wear thick clothing.

Juni-type Knytts: Short; average height about the same as shorter mountain Knytts. Live in many different environments; some in villages, some in the wilderness. Young are more or less the same size as very young mountain Knytts. Apparently grow slowly; little size difference between infants and children. Though on average smaller than mountain Knytts, more capable of athletic feats in maturity. As with humans, different levels of technological advancement in different geographical areas; some live in fairly primitive cottages, while some live in small semi-modern houses. Mingle, to a degree, with Nano-type Knytts. More variety in clothing.

Nano-type Knytts: Tall as the mountain Knytts, but thinner on average.  Capable of some athletic feats, more or less on par with the mountain Knytts; they are, however, capable of faster movement. The most technologically advanced Knytts. They have large vehicles, paved roads, electric lighting, and sophisticated locking mechanisms. Live, like the Juni-types, in a variety of environments- they have cities, houses, and mountain-style carved-out houses. Also like the Juni-types, they wear a variety of clothing. A few seem to live with or near the Juni-types.

Another installment! This time, disks, complete with bad Latin names.

Latus Orbis: Relatively harmless creatures. The male is flattened and purple, while the female is yellow with upturned "wings" at its sides.

Puteulanus Surculus: Blue disks. The male is bulkier and has an orange head-orb, while the female is smaller and has a light blue head-orb. Both are capable of emitting dangerously hot spheres from their head-orbs when in danger. The female's spheres are emitted in a regular pattern; the male's are emitted at random.

Brevis Surculus: The male is grey with reddish legs, and has two crests along its sides, along with a red head-orb much like those of the Puteulanus. The female is green and has antennae. The male is capable of emitting toxic spheres of liquid from its head-orb when threatened.

Brevis Orbis: Very small, purple disks. The male has deadly spines.

Campester Cuspis: Red disks. The male has larger eyes than the female, and poisoned spikes on its back.

Ingredior Clausus: Little cubes with legs that inhabit a crystal cave. Multiple colors exist, but the colors are independent of gender, age, or any other visible factor.

Magnus Penna: A very large bird with an equally large beak. Lives in dry, hot areas, and feeds on cacti.

Congeries Virus: Large hemispheres of jelly-like substance. They inhabit cold, dank areas and move more or less at random, feeding on moss from the ground. They have no real organs and are very posionous, much like jellyfish.

Cuspis Repo: An insect-like creature that moves by rotating the spines which cover its body. Inhabits lightly forested areas. It has no sensory organs other than its spines, and feeds on fallen leaves.

Virga Etiam: A large insect with long legs reminiscent of sticks. Feeds on smaller insects that live on and in trees.

Volvo Latex: Small, mobile round creatures. They inhabit tiny, crude houses they build out of clay. Females have legs; males do not. Therefore, males move by sloshing around, while females walk. Volvo Latex lives near sources of great warmth, eg lava, from which they derive nourishment.

Colui Varese: A varied species of insects. They vary greatly in color, size, and whether or not they have wings. All have legs, and those without wings live in burrows of their own making.

Minimus Penna: Very small birds which live in hanging houses of their own construction. Inhabit wet, dark, warm areas.

Navi Gemma: Small, diamond-shaped flying arthropods light enough to stand on clouds, which they do often. It is on these clouds that they build their homes, which are very much alike in shape to themselves.

Ieiunium Gorf: Large, green sedentary mammals. They subsist on the leaves of a certain type of tree which only grows in a small area. They are known for their strength, but are harmless if let alone.

And then there's loads more about other creatures, but you wanted to know about knytts, right? I can copy more later if anyone wants that.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 13:32:20 »
Well if wikipedia is right it comes from the book 'vem ska trösta knyttet?' which is made by Tove Jansson, and set in same universe as moomin. Would not doubt nifflas got a lot of inspiration from Tove Jansson. Possibly the best child author known to me and maybe Nifflas too.

edit:
also from the book illustrations, the knytt looked like this: http://tofflan.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/knyttet.gif?w=180&h=245

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:15:52 »
Haha, it doesn't take place in the Moomin universe though I absolutely adore Tove's work. The word "Knytt" is kind of adapted into the swedish language, and means something like 'harmless little creature'. When I use the term Knytt in the game, I refer to all kinds of various creatures of the games, not only the humanoids.

KnyttWaDF will feature both Harara types, and Juni types. However, I need names for the types so different creatures can talk about each other.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 13:55:40 »
I saw the "Harara" type as the ancestral form of the "Juni" type. But if they live in the same time, then I'd have to guess that "Harara" Kyntt folk live in remote mountainous regions where they've retained their fur for warmth and tails for balance on steep mountainsides. The "Juni" Knytt folk live in a greater variety of areas, but their beginnings would've been in lush, warm areas where life was easy. Therefore they multiplied more easily, and thereby advanced faster than their mountain brethren. Advancements allowed them to live in all manners of areas through the use of clothing and tools. Reliance on such things lead to loss of fur and shortened tails.

Long story short: Mountain Folk and Lowland People, or Long-tails and Short-tails.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:29 »
Long story short: Mountain Folk and Lowland People, or Long-tails and Short-tails.

Genius!

Offline Denis

• I am the law only for my kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 18:56:53 »
According to Tove Jansson, Mumins are around 6 cantimeters tall. A knytt is around twice smaller than a Mumin. So knytts are 3 cantimeters tall.
Son of prometheus

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 00:01:30 »
Paula, I want that entire thing please. :O

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 16:15:20 »
ugh, couldn't have waited any longer to tell me that, huh?
* Miss Paula grumbles and goes to dig out the thread again somehow

Elder provided the first and last three pictures with the creatures' latin names that are attached, rest again is by goog.

Crusta Tardus: A turtle-like reptile with blue skin and a purple shell. Eats grass.

Crusta Tarduscuspis: Much like the crusta tardus, but with grey skin, a green shell, and spikes which it can deploy when it feels threatened.

Crocus Dracanis: A yellow hairless mammal. It can be very loyal to Knytts, and is thus often kept as a pet.

Frons Bestia: A small brown mammal that feeds on tree bark.

Fidelis Muris: A rat-like rodent with red skin and brown fur.

Ericius Volvo: Spiny mammals capable of rolling into a ball, and then rolling forward, when frightened. The male is reddish while the female is pinkish.

Ericius Repo: A shelled mammal capable of extending poisoned spikes when threatened. The male has red skin and a rounded head, while the female has orangeish skin and a pointed head.

Navi Quadratus: A largely harmless flying insect.

Navi Crocusircum: Much like the quadratus, but smaller.

Duonavi Emitcuspis: A green insect capable of firing four poisoned spikes when in danger.

Trinavi Emitcuspis: Much like the duonavi, but red and capable of firing six spikes.

Navi Emitdolororbis: Again like the duonavi, but black, and instead of firing spikes, it fires heat-seeking spheres.

Sero Emitlusum: A large green bulbed plant that fires poisonous spores at intervals.

Sero Emitdolororbis: Much like the emitlusum, but fires heat-seeking spheres rather than spores. Visually indistinguishable from the emitlusum.

Sero Emitincenlusum: Again like the emitlusum, but fires fireballs and is itself deadly to the touch.

Sero Emitlusumvelox: Once again like the emitlusum, but fires its spores in faster outbursts.

Sero Emitlusumiuxta: Again like the emitlusum, but only fires when it senses heat in its vicinity.

Quote from: Noi on 26 February 2008, 19:33
Great thread C)p it really highlights one of the things I love most about the Knytt games: the huge number of interesting creatures, both harmless and harmful.
One type of knytt I'm interested in are the winged knytt. I've always considered them as sort of fairies, but they're also called angels in some levels.
So far, I have no idea what to do for the fairies/angels/whatever, other than call them fairies and leave it at that. They are, essentially, Knytts with wings, so what are they? Knytt's that've died and gone to heaven? A bizarre subspecies of Knytt, the product of random genetic mutation? Angels? I could go in and design some sort of weird hierarchy of angels, but that doesn't seem worth it. So: I'm just going to call them fairies. For now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 16:26:09 by Miss Paula »

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 16:27:32 »
two more pictures by Elder, about Knytt creatures.

that's basically all.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 19:05:09 »
Oh, thanks a bunch! :D