[Misc/Challenge][Hard] Hypnagogia

• 27 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
[Misc/Challenge][Hard] Hypnagogia
« on: August 14, 2011, 23:13:05 »
This is a level I've been working on for a while and you may have noticed or even played an earlier version a few months ago if you were browsing the archives.

The idea for me was to make a level about secrets but also make it feel complete without having to find them. To that end there are 13 odd endings for the level that can be found by finding secrets or just taking different paths. The level was pretty hard for me at points but because I suck I only labeled it hard. If you notice any parts that are bugged or find a void screen please tell me. If anyone wants to use the custom objects, tilesets, or gradients go ahead. All the music is licensed under creative commons and almost exclusively found on Jamendo. Also there is some cussing so if that offends you then don't play it.

Download:

Version 1.62
dropbox
size=49.31

Old Versions/Updates
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Changelog
Version 1.62 Some of the fixes SergioCornaga mentioned and a few small graphical changes. Also fixes the bug when trying to get the * ending because of the cutscene autosave bug. So, sadly if you get the * ending you have to start a new game but at least now it's possible to get the ending again.
Version 1.61 fixes the problems GrayFace has pointed out in regard to void screens and wallswims (hopefully).
Version 1.6 has a few cosmetic changes and fixes pathing at points where a save point will strand you between a certain ending and that specific save point forcing you to start over if you want to keep playing.

Pictures:

Have fun.

Old Edit:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:22:49 by plural »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Misc/Challenge][Hard] Hypnagogia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:00:55 »
I haven't played your earlier versions. From the screens and the description this looks like a promising level. *downloading*

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 16:58:29 »
Got some ending, must be a pretty large level because I didn't reach any of the places in your screenshots.
It was a good enjoyable level, can't point out anything bad besides very small unimportant things.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:22 »
I'd really like to play this, so hopefully I'll have enough time to soon. You've got one too many ones in your knyttlevels download link!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:37:34 »
Fantastic level! I got 6 endings so far, but I'm stuck:
Edit: Not a big deal though. The beginning isn't long when you know the shortcuts, so I'm playing on 2nd slot from the beginning. I'm overwhelmed by the huge world and atmosphere.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 20:30:32 by GrayFace »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 21:56:12 »
Fantastic level! I got 6 endings so far, but I'm stuck:
Edit: Not a big deal though. The beginning isn't long when you know the shortcuts, so I'm playing on 2nd slot from the beginning. I'm overwhelmed by the huge world and atmosphere.
Yeah, this is my first level and I sort of built it by just adding more and more to each section but I realize now my mistake because it was something that never came up when testing because I never thought about someone getting an ending and then starting from the last save to look for the next ending.

So, I guess this would be a good spot to say that certain paths stop you from being able to find the other endings because you're literally blocked off because in my mind I didn't want people getting stuck in the part of the level that no longer had anything to offer anymore once you passed it. I think I'll just make some warps so that if you come in from left that the ghost blocks won't be there so that you don't get stuck. And Also I'll make a path away from stuck save points so that it doesn't force you to play through again if you don't want to.

I should get around to fixing that in the next few days. I had an update planned with a bunch of foreground custom objects I made only to discover the custom object limit.

Anyway, if you're not finding most of the things from the screenshots above here's some advice that doesn't really spoil anything but how to get to those areas, though might spoil certain parts that you might not want to know the first time through. So this is for anyone who's gotten a couple endings but wants to know how to get to the point where they can see the rest without cracking open the editor:

I'd really like to play this, so hopefully I'll have enough time to soon. You've got one too many ones in your knyttlevels download link!
Thanks for pointing that out. D'oh.

Edit: I didn't want to double post so I've edited the first post and I'll edit this one too. There's a new version above that fixes the problem Grayface was describing. It also adds a few cosmetic changes throughout the level but it's nothing too drastic.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:29:18 by plural »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 13:56:32 »
Looks like I've finished it. :) While playing in times I felt like the world is endless. It was going on and on and I still had many passages where I haven't gone behind me. Great work!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 15:06:21 by GrayFace »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 23:47:03 »
Looks like I've finished it. :) While playing in times I felt like the world is endless. It was going on and on and I still had many passages where I haven't gone behind me. Great work!
Thank you. I should have asked the people here to playtest the game instead of my friends. I had no idea getting to most of those screens was even possible because I actually tried and the other people didn't report any problems. I am not good at platforming.

About the autosaving shifts though,

If the autosaves bothered anyone else please tell me. I hopefully fixed all the bugs GrayFace found, I'm updating the first post with a new version and a new update.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 17:19:49 »

Offline Saml

• now I've got a pie turtle too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 21:19:25 »
The latest version (from the level archive) has screwed-up media--none of the custom tilesets or gradients are showing up... This basically breaks the whole thing.
Now that stars are official, I can go wild down here! :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Quote from: Nifflas
There are many things you can explode. Cats, paintings of fruit, Kaknästornet, factories...

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:13:02 »
The latest version (from the level archive) has screwed-up media--none of the custom tilesets or gradients are showing up... This basically breaks the whole thing.
I still haven't found time to download this yet, but did you possibly download the update version without having an original to install over? Try the 49 MB version if so.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 22:53:18 »
First, I have got to say this is the first level I have played since forever ago.  Now, with that said:

This is a fantastic level.  I really love the atmosphere of everything and every place.  So much to see, so much to do.  I love all the choices you give with direction.  I ended up getting ending 7.  Good job, m'friend!
Teeeheee

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 15:49:34 »
Played from start to ending 2/13. Was hoping to be done with this in a single session, but this level is so vast that that's clearly impossible! Great stuff, but not so convenient for someone with as little free time as I have right now. :(

This level is quite amazing. The 'icy' environment is my favourite so far, I would even go so far to say that it's one of the most interesting I've ever encountered in games overall.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:53:06 »
I've updated again and hid older versions in spoilers to hopefully lessen confusion. Sadly trying to fix the stranding that was happening in the original version of the game I turned off the autosave that happens after a cutscene but I forgot that it just sends you back to where you saved before if you don't turn the autosave on. So yeah, the final ending is unreachable if you don't have the current version or the oldest version. Apologies.

Anyway, I'm rambling. That lone layer 3 block was supposed to be a hidden shortcut in an earlier version but I changed the level around it and forgot about the block. I feel like I need to start adding credit for people that are pointing all these things out to me, it's thoroughly embarrassing.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 03:18:04 »
It's a huge level. It's not surprising that bugs are showing up. It's recommended that levels be beta tested before official release to help prevent this, but test all you want, someone's bound to find bugs anyway.

I finally started playing this level yesterday, only found about five endings. It figures that a new release came out the very next day. Hopefully, it will help me find the rest of the endings. So far I have to say I really liked the "hot lights", a clever combination of default tilesets and objects that I haven't seen before. Made some of the best action in the level so far in my opinion. I also like the text near the save points, takes the edge off dying a little. Great writing on the endings too, haven't found seen one yet that didn't work cleverly with the level's intro and exploration. With all the praise I'm giving you I guess I should criticize. The hidden passages are annoying. Many of them have no indication of their being there, not even with the detector equipped. Some of the jumping takes a little too much precision for my taste. The mazes where you can't see the walls, no thanks. I would have stopped playing after one or 2 rounds if it weren't for the great endings.