[Misc/Challenge][Hard] Hypnagogia

• 27 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
Re: [Misc/Challenge][Hard] Hypnagogia
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 04:54:57 »
It's a huge level. It's not surprising that bugs are showing up. It's recommended that levels be beta tested before official release to help prevent this, but test all you want, someone's bound to find bugs anyway.

I finally started playing this level yesterday, only found about five endings. It figures that a new release came out the very next day. Hopefully, it will help me find the rest of the endings. So far I have to say I really liked the "hot lights", a clever combination of default tilesets and objects that I haven't seen before. Made some of the best action in the level so far in my opinion. I also like the text near the save points, takes the edge off dying a little. Great writing on the endings too, haven't found seen one yet that didn't work cleverly with the level's intro and exploration. With all the praise I'm giving you I guess I should criticize. The hidden passages are annoying. Many of them have no indication of their being there, not even with the detector equipped. Some of the jumping takes a little too much precision for my taste. The mazes where you can't see the walls, no thanks. I would have stopped playing after one or 2 rounds if it weren't for the great endings.
I actually didn't understand what the blue detect target did until I finished making the level, I should go through and add it for hidden passages, though it's hard for me to know if I should or not in many cases. A lot of the secrets aren't really meant to be found the first time you go through and a lot of the secrets don't really add or effect anything other than just reward someone for looking for them. I do agree that for places that only have one possible entrance that is a secret, I should add in blue detect targets though. Also, it occurs to me now that this would make the mazes less only guesswork.

My problem is the point of the level is that there are places built that the player has no idea to go to but wants to check and see if it's possible to do it. For example, in Super Metroid when you figure out you can bomb jump and then, I think most of us, wanted to see what would happen if we bomb jumped at the opening with the open sky to try to see if there was something above that area. I was disappointed when you just hit an invisible ceiling. So that's kind of what this level stems from, what if you bomb jumped up there and there was a whole huge layer of the level above everything that was just hidden. I don't want to necessarily prevent a person from seeing the level but I also want it to be their idea to explore it (which is also my problem with removing the autosave shift from the repeating tower).

The parts that you've played are probably only the original level I made before I thought that I should add an entirely new thing on top of it that nobody will probably see but to me, it's much more in line with what I want from a game to plan to have a person only see 25% of the game's content if they play through averagely/once. This means that someone who gives more will get more out of it and people will usually have differing experiences.

So when people talk about the game and say that the spaceship was their favorite part or the floating ocean, someone else can say, what the hell? Floating ocean? Where was that?

If I put blue targets where every secret was then the first secret after you get the detector would be exactly where everyone goes to and so on with every other secret. I just don't know how to find a happy medium with that kind of thing after the player gets the detector.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 11:37:50 »
^: Well, I'm not saying you should make everything obvious once the detector has been found. What I'm saying is that checking every tile of every wall to make sure it's really solid isn't my Idea of a good time. There are aspects of how you hid things that work well. For example each ending tells you how many endings there are total, lets me know there's more to look for. Also, I've seen a lot of stuff I haven't been able to get to yet, like the spaceship. In theory, this gives me a direction to look in without giving me the solution. It would probably be a non-issue if KS had a map like Metroid.

Don't go remaking Hypnagogia on my account though. I actually am enjoying it as is. There was so much I liked about it that when I posted before I felt like I was making it out to be the level of the year. I didn't want to give readers the wrong impression, hence criticism. This level shows that you have good ideas as a game designer, but there's room for improvement. Looking forward to your next level.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:39:48 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 16:12:37 »
You shouldn't be embarrassed about the bugs, especially ones as minor as wallswims or out-of-place tiles. Even in my small Ball Tutorial level I missed 2 reachable voids. Yours is one of the very best levels I've played.
Spoiler: hidden passages (click to show/hide)

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:39 »
I've just been informed that the links in the original post are dead. Right now my version of the level is filled with half-finished things I gave up on adding so I'm putting the call out to anyone who has the final version of the level in this thread to re-upload it for me and post it here (or PM it to me). I'll put it on my dropbox and replace the original post's links with that. I promise I'm being better at backing up older versions/completed versions of levels in the future. Thank you anyone who can help out.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:57:03 »
Hypnagogia (v1.62) by plural

Let me know if there are any problems with it.

Since the level is once again available from plural, in the OP, I've deleted it from my box account.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:04:08 by Widget »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:01 »
It appears to work fine for me, thank you very much. The original post will be edited with a working link now.

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 20:36:58 »
Hi Plural, I would like to play this level! would you mind re-uploading the last version?

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 23:57:59 »
Just so you know: Version 1.61 is still up on Knyttlevels.

It's not 1.62, but it's something.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:57 »
Yeah, I'm sorry guys but I actually don't have 1.62 anymore. I think I must have lost it during my many reformats of my pc. (I think I also accidentally deleted Hypnagogia from my dropbox when trying to delete the old version of Harlow, damn H's). I think I'll just go through and make the edits I mentioned in the OP post again and just reupload that. Shouldn't take too long, I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 03:45:27 »
Isn't there a "deleted items" tab in Dropbox that you can restore files from?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 06:35:12 »
Isn't there a "deleted items" tab in Dropbox that you can restore files from?

Yeah, have a look here if you haven't already, plural. In the meantime I'm also going to check a few old computers and hard drives for version 1.62.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 07:25:54 »
Thanks, sergio. I didn't know they backed up people being stupid enough to delete their own files. I actually uploaded the version I had (which may or may not be 1.62, I actually don't know now that I'm looking at it.) and because there was another version uploaded it said I had no deleted files but I was able to just restore the file by reverting it back to previous versions.

The initial post dropbox link is working and 1.62 again. All is well, the thread can, hopefully, rest in peace once again.

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 13:29:56 »
What's Song23.ogg song name? Im really enjoying it everytime i play this map.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 16:37:31 by Katrtlen »