Easy way to make sprite sheet?

• 3 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Easy way to make sprite sheet?
« on: August 06, 2011, 19:39:10 »
I should have asked this a long time ago, maybe I would have saved a lot of hours of work all together.
I use Photoshop to make animations, and then I have to turn that animation in to a sprite sheet, so I can use it as a custom object in Knytt Stories. I started by doing it manually, and dear God it is a painfully boring and repetitive process, I wanted to kill myself every time I did it. So I got a script that did it automatically. Sort of.
The script works like 30% of the time. The rest of the time (I'm not very good with percentages so I'll let you figure that out) it either gives me a retarded error message or cuts off parts of the sprite sheet, and I end up having to do part of it manually.

So I'm hoping some one has a less painful way to do this. I have found other software that does this, but none of them work for photoshop files, usually they are made to make GIF files in to sprite sheets. I could save my files as GIF first, but I would loose a lot of quality in that process, so I either need a better Photoshop script or some kind of software that can take the animations from the .psd file and make tham in to a sprite sheet.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to make sprite sheet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:09:56 »
You could export it to gimp and use the spritesheet creator:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/20943
I used to use this plugin all the time, it works rather well, despite the fact that it doesnt support multi-row spritesheets  :sick:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:24 »
Ooh! I bet I could make use of that. Thanks Smeagle.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 14:00:57 »
I really don't like GIMP for a bunch of reasons, but I guess I'm going to start liking it now. Thanks for the suggestion smeagle ;)