Tilesets released once upon a time...

• 7 Replies

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
Tilesets released once upon a time...
« on: August 03, 2011, 21:43:25 »
My questions goes as followed,

Once upon a time, before the server swap, I released a tileset called "The Beach With Jungle Flare".
I released it for public use; however, I don't believe anyone ever used it in any levels, nor have I heard of any having copies of it.

I would like to use this tileset for BSoaKFF, but as everyone knows, I have a strict desire to use only fresh tilesets, untainted by other levels.

First off, I would like to know the forum policy on situations like this. Assuming my tileset was never used, will it have to become public domain again when I release BSoaKFF?
I would like to think I'd have a say whether I can control the distribution of my work, but I'm not sure whether the Public Tileset clause covered such a situation.

Secondly, has anyone used said tileset? I'm not aware of any, but that means nothing.

(I've attached a copy of the tileset I speak of as a reminder.)

Your answers are greatly appreciated. :)
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Tilesets released once upon a time...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 22:52:07 »
Normally, when you distribute something with a certain license, it is not possible to change the license just because you have different plans with it. The problem here is that anyone can still use your tileset and claim it was from before you changed the license, and you can't do anything about it.

Since it is however your tileset and that means you can do with it what you want, I would suggest slightly alter it to make it unique again. Perhaps change the colors a bit or things like that.

The sand could be more orange, the grass could be a different kind of green, and stuff like that.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 23:32:33 »
True, yet I don't really feel recolors are making them unique.

I look at tileset remixes like remaking older movies. It may look prettier, but was still someone else's idea. (Except in this situation.  X-P)

However, if I updated this tileset's look with my improved skills and used it with a different name (Perhaps no name at all), that would indeed cause it to fall outside the license agreement, because it would in fact be a diffferent tileset, correct?

Meaning that others couldn't use it, no?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 23:49:44 »
Indeed.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 17:29:34 »
Never seen that tileset before, not on old forum or in any level. Nice btw, how's your level coming along? Been waiting for a new test version since like forever.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:48 »
I released it shortly after I started visiting the forum. I'm unsure if anyone actually ever used it at all...

It's coming along quite nicely. You may stop by the forum and have a look at the updated map I posted. It goes into a little more detail than the old sketch did.

- George Orwell

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 14:53:14 »
I remember that tileset (i was a tileset hoarder) and i defiantly remember it in a level (just one) something about pirates .... or the beach i dunno.

If i find the level again i will post the name and author, if that helps in anyway XD

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 23:18:28 »
I believe I used that one in The Mysterious Grotto.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.