Version 1.1 is up!

• 33 Replies
Re: Version 1.1 is up!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:41 »
Thanks for info. It's version 1.0.0

Steam users who want to try this feature can grab an NightSky 1.1 executable here though!

Unfortunately the link doesn't work :-( Could you please give correct one?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 14:38:46 »
I fixed the broken link. The url have changed, but check the original post.

I'm still having the problem with that the change is not backwards compatible with version 1.0 (I can not support both full screen modes because of MMF2), and the 1.1 screen mode by that reason also change the minimum system requirements. With the Fastspring version I offer a 1.0 download for those who prefer the old mode, but on Steam I can't offer two separate versions that you can chose between.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 00:09:02 by Nifflas »

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 19:31:08 »
Thanks, version 1.1 works perfectly on my PC  :) (i5 + HD6950 +  Win7)
Now the only thing I miss are steam achievements  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 19:34:55 by neurasthenic »

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 16:13:20 »
It's such a great little game and such a shame that from a technical point of view it's such a terrible let down.  :sigh:

Like for apparently most people fullscreen doesn't work for me in the current Steam build / v1.0 - the almost stamp sized screen is borderline useless on a 1080p monitor. :(

v1.1 does fix this, but at the cost of rather terrible screen tearing. Forcing Vsync for the NightSky.exe inside the Nvidia control panel did not solve this ... it's eye wateringly bad to keep your eyes on the distorted ball. Other than that it's smooth (i5-2400, 8GB, Geforce GTS 250, Win7 64bit).

So neither version really makes me happy. Nifflas, I hope you haven't given up on fixing this  and I hope 1.2 will eventually be released - it such a shame that this great game is held back by these borderline game-breaking technical problems. I'd also like to see Steam Achievements and gamepad support, but I guess Joy2Key will do for now ...

[...] but on Steam I can't offer two separate versions that you can chose between.

That's not true! Several games already do this, mostly those available in both DirectX9 and DirectX10/11 versions. You can have different .exes on Steam, you can have a Steam-Popup asking the user which version to launch on every launch,  you can even have several entries in the right click menu of your game including a link to the settings.exe etc. Steam is actually very flexible and considering that both 1.0's and 1.1's only difference is the .exe file this is something that Steam is perfectly capable of handling.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 00:06:21 »
Hmm, perhaps I should do that.

Thing about upscaling with preserving pixels is that... well, again, Multimedia Fusion 2 limitation. An upscaling that preserves the pixels require an increase of exactly 200% or 300%. I can do that, but that makes the minimum screen resolution for upscaling 1200x678. Sure, lots of monitors support that, but to e.g. fit NightSky on a resolution of, say, 1024x768, the pixels need to be blurred.

The problem is, MMF2 doesn't let me change between a blurred or pixely upscale at runtime either. I can only make that selection at edit-time, so, I'd need yet another executable.

I don't like settling for these crap solutions because I'm working in a tool that can't even do basic stuff that's expected from a game today. I can't have my time wasted. I guess the resolution problem will have to suck about every game I do, including The Great Work and the new KnyttWaDF. Exile Game Jam however opened my eyes for how amazing Unity is, and perhaps it's about time I realize that I have grown out of MMF2 since long ago and begin to work with something more appropriate.

Luckily, Nifflas' Games is doing fine. After KnyttWaDF, I'll actually be able to afford not being productive for a while. As things look right now, my plan after KnyttWaDF is to pick up Unity or whatever other tool that seem interesting, and just go wild and experimental for a while. I dunno, perhaps do tons of minigames and prototypes? Just learn new stuff for a while.

I'll probably update NightSky 1.1 on Steam now that I know I can have separate executables. I'm not investing more time in resolution problems for that game though when they're not my fault in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 00:09:46 by Nifflas »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 02:02:25 »
I get rather sick and tired of all these people nitpicking over utterly irrelevant details. The default windowed version is absolutely beautiful and if people spent as much time playing as they do complaining I'm sure they'd come to see that.

Unless played on a CRT monitor at an absurd resolution it's easily big enough to see all the detail and, if it's having it windowed that's the problem, the black-bordered fullscreen at default resolution takes care of that.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 08:14:50 »
The problem is, MMF2 doesn't let me change between a blurred or pixely upscale at runtime either. I can only make that selection at edit-time, so, I'd need yet another executable.
You can have both blurry (with black borders) and pixely scaling at runtime with MMF2. My Knytt Stories mod does it. No, it's not a simple or obvious solution, but it works like any user would expect it to.

Just to be clear Nifflas, I'm posting this as I think it may be a useful technique to use in your future Multimedia Fusion based creations.

Offline ulu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 20:48:53 »
i have problem with running 1.1. version purchased from indieroyale, i have winxp and after running nightsky.exe i got only popup error msg "cannot load ultimatefullscreen.mfx. this object might ..."
i have tried to change settings to each possible but with same result.
demo 1.0 worked ok for me, can i somehow fix this ? thanks

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 23:14:49 »
Have you properly installed/extracted everything to a directory on your harddrive that you have full access to?

You cannot run the game from whitin the zipfile.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline ulu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 20:46:42 »
i have installed it via iinstaller, not by extraction of zip archive.. btw on another computer with vista it works ok

Offline ulu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 21:53:08 »
so no help for me with full 1.1 version on win xp ?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 23:59:59 »
I just don't know what causes it. Could be a dependency in the full-screen object, perhaps you need to install this but I'm really quite unsure.

It's, again, why I need to get into Unity in the future instead of MMF2.

Offline ulu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 22:56:06 »
ok can i somehow downgrade my version to 1.0 which should maybe work ok (demo worked ok on that xp machine)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 00:10:16 »
You can get version 1.0 at the download area, check the mail you got when you purchased the game. If you used the installer, the savegames will be kept.

Offline ulu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 23:27:19 »
but i purchased game as part of indieroyale bundle - and there is only one installer available which contains version 1.1