[Challenge/Environmental] Juni's Great Adventures 1

• 4 Replies

Offline Mirror Sound

• tumblr: mirrorsoundks.tumblr.com ask me stuff. :)
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr
[Challenge/Environmental] Juni's Great Adventures 1
« on: May 29, 2012, 20:20:16 »
Hello, first of all.
This is the first level I am actually planning on uploading for public. It's about one of Juni's many adventures that will be shown in this series. I got the idea during a lazy monday afternoon (pretty original, huh?) I'm sorry that there are no screenshots, but a preview is available at the level archive.
If you try out the preview, by any chance, tell me what you think, please. :)
Thank you.
EDIT: THE LEVEL IS NOW 100% DONE! Head over to http:/knyttlevels.com to download it! :D I don't plan to start working on JGA2 too soon, tough.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 16:02:13 by Mirror Sound »
Juni's Great Adventures 2 - to be released December.
Medieval Landscape - Postponed until the release of Juni's Great Adventures 2

mynameisteja.tumblr.com
a friend from school. c: follow her plz?

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge] Juni's Great Adventures 1
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:43:43 »
Hmm...

To put it bluntly, it is really crude, even for a preview.

However, I do have some hearty suggestions for you, should you choose to expand this into a finished level.

Firstly, allow me to point out some glaring problems with the level.  You will definitely want to deal with these points before declaring your level done, in descending order of importance:

-It is absurdly short and void of any sort of story.  Knytts don't have anything to say, and you are not given any information about where you are or what you are doing.
-Two different ways to win, one much easier than the other, but both having the same effect.
-A wall made of blue vanishing blocks that leads absolutely nowhere.
-I can walk into the wall at x=1002, y=1001, which leads to a wallswim, which I can use to get back up to the start and jump into multiple void screens.
-There is a lack of sound for the water.  Typically you want to use ambient sounds 13-19 for water FX of various types.

Now, I am going to assume that this level is very early in development.  For that reason, I really think you should have waited to release a playable beta until your level was at least halfway finished.

Secondly, you should definitely take a look at other peoples' levels, particularly ones that closely relate to the type of level you want to build.  Play them, open them up in the editor, and learn how they work.  Then decide what you want to try and replicate in your own level.

Thirdly, you need to ask yourself:  'What can I do to make my level special?'  There are numerous ways you can do this.  You could utilize one or more of the following:

-Use imported music in your level, (with the artist's permission) as opposed to the standard KS soundtrack.
-Use a custom tileset or two to give the level a truly unique look.
-Think of inventive ways to use the objects given to you in the editor to make interesting and/or challenging puzzles and obstacles.  Toy around with objects and learn how they work.
-Tell a fascinating story.  This is often the most difficult part, but a great story will carry a level farther than you might think!  Of course, you don't NEED one, but it is an option.
-Create and use custom objects, if needed.

Remember, anyone can make a level for Knytt Stories in about 2 minutes, but the truly good levels may require months of work!  Decide how devoted you are to this craft, and here's hoping you make something special out of this.   :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:54:39 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 14:54:18 »
Thank you. :) I will deifnatley keep those hints in mind. As said, this is my first knytt stories level so I am kind of unexperienced with creating levels. Frankly, I just learned how to make people talk about three days ago. There will probably be a story/plot too, hence the fact the level is marked with a number, meaning there might be a series out of this.

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 18:15:50 »
Great!  I am looking forward to this!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 20:20:31 »
STATUS UPDATE TIME! ;D
The level is, at this time, about 80% done (I finish about 15 screens a day). The soonest release date is someday this week, however, it might be postponed, hence the fact I am going on vacation with my family soon. There have been two playable beta levels released yet (I preffer the second), so if you want a spoiler, head over to the level archive and download them.
Thank you for your time.
Also, if you REALLY can't wait to play this, take a closer look at my signature this week. ;)

mynameisteja.tumblr.com