[Challenge/Epic] I Dreamed of the Sky

• 85 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
[Challenge/Epic] I Dreamed of the Sky
« on: July 18, 2011, 15:14:35 »

8)

I'd like to say 'much anticipated' but I'll settle for 'mildly advertised'. My current Epic-Length level is now three quarters done and quite ready for a preview thread.
It's similar in theme to 'Petals of the Dying Flower' though I began work on this long before the little one. Both are about escaping from a dull, underground world to the bright world above, but this one's much bigger, much prettier and much more plot-oriented.

Both experimental in design and in storytelling, 'I Dreamed of the Sky' is about a girl (called Juni, of all things) who has, for all her life, lived as part of a tiny community deep underground, warned over and again against ever daring to enter the caves above. But her lifelong dreams of a fairer world have led her to ignore the warnings and face the unnamed dangers above.

Features many custom graphics and COs, an epic story, flashing lights, enormous lifts and a no-invisible-mazes guarantee . No release date yet but I intend to have it finished this year (since I promised as much when I first mentioned it at the end of 'My Loving Hadron Collider'). Beta Testers will be requested some time in the future (when I have a beta to test).

More screenshots may come if there's interest.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 15:29:12 by Talps »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Epic] I Dreamed of the Sky
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 18:09:40 »
I have no doubt this will turn out amazing and epic and all, it looks great. Thought title sounds a bit cheesy I've had the same idea, where knytts lived underground and with no sun lost their powers so you look for the surface and gain your powers when you reach the sun.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 21:52:49 »
75% complete epic-level kept mostly under wraps! You have greater restraint than I. Looking forward to it.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 13:14:04 »
Yeah well, I tend to get discouraged by preview threads 'cus (unlike your good and highly popular self) nobody's ever interested in mine. So it's more detrimental to my motivation than helpful for me to announce my works in progress. Still, glad to know there's a little interest :P

The title should have been 'When I was a Child I Dreamed of the Sky' but it's too long. It was the same with '(I Saw the World in) the Petals of a Dying Flower' which, let's face it, was a pretty cheesy title, too. I guess I have a gift. :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 18:43:18 »
Your recent Cold Mist Mountain and Petals of a Dying Flower were both terrific levels. (Well, CMM could have used a little polish.) Anyone who's been paying attention should want to play this level too. You shouldn't feel discouraged if you don't receive many comments, especially after a couple weeks. That's just the nature of the forum right now.

For the record I like all of those^ titles, long and short. The long ones would get cut off in the level selection menu, but I'm sure you know that. You could put "When I was a child..." as the description.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:59:18 »
Yeah well, I tend to get discouraged by preview threads 'cus (unlike your good and highly popular self) nobody's ever interested in mine.

I'm very interested! I try to post saying as much in preview threads that interest me, but most of the time I forget. Terrible, huh?

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 14:49:51 »
How's the level going?
I'm dying for news ;-;
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 17:39:25 »
Then ya should've said so sooner <_<

I confess not much has happened since I posted this thread; I burnt myself out a bit getting the latest level finished. But it's been back on my mind since completing my competition entry, so hopefully I'll be able to get working on tilesets for the next area soon. It's kind of a complicated area, mixing dark, creepy abandonment with long-neglected and therefore rampant plant-life and with old, neglected (betcha didn't see that coming) industrialism. I'll post a screenshot when I have something I'm happy with. I might try using a black version of Nifflas' Flower Garden.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 14:31:04 »
Wow, this looks so strange but yet... <3 and the title is so nice.
Also i am now downloading all your levels!

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:29 »
"More screenshots may come if there's interest."

:shocked: But, of course there's interest! I still have to play your latest 2 levels, but if it's made by you and if it's a large level as well, it should be awesome. Me too, I wish there were more people and action on the forum... like some advertising would be done somehow... through Facebook perhaps...

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:27:31 »
"More screenshots may come if there's interest."

:shocked: But, of course there's interest! I still have to play your latest 2 levels, but if it's made by you and if it's a large level as well, it should be awesome. Me too, I wish there were more people and action on the forum... like some advertising would be done somehow... through Facebook perhaps...

Lol, i find facebook overrated :S

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:34:32 »
May be, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very good means to get this forum a little bit more active.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:14:51 »
May be, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a very good means to get this forum a little bit more active.

Well, Hopefully, we attract people that will stay at this forum for good...

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 02:14:45 »
Been on holiday for the last week and for most of that I had no internet access, which gave me time to work on the tilesets for the latest area.

It's not necessarily 100% finished but it's getting there. Hopefully I'll be motivated to press on with the whole area, soon, but I never find it as easy when the player has lots of upgrades, which by this point of the level they do. Still, it's coming along.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:17:33 by Talps »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 04:16:18 »
I demand more updates.
>.> I really don't DEMAND it, but it would be nice!
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~