[Undefined] Super Juniland

• 16 Replies

Offline Jerom

• View Profile
[Undefined] Super Juniland
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:03:30 »
Edit: Level finished  >>>> http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=4934.0

If you like monochrome Knytt stories like Knytt 8bits, or the recent and awesome Advanced by SecretGlitch, you maybe like Super Juniland ;)
Started 2 years ago and never finished, I want to put an end at this level before the end of July!
Difficulty: normal

Some screenshots (thanks to custom objects, I will add a yellow/greenish color like the old gameboy^^ ):
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 17:15:10 by Jerom »

Offline Ganoan

• Wondering...
    • View Profile
Re: [Undefined] Super Juniland
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 13:51:26 »
Looks amazing to me! Really looking forward to this.
What about the size?

Offline Jerom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 20:06:36 »
Right now, 50-60 playable rooms; later, maybe more. So, it's a small/medium level.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 23:46:11 »
Man, between this and whatever my longer gameboy level will be, people will be getting a fair share of retro knytt. But man, this looks pretty amazing, really looking forward to it!
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 23:54:56 »
This seems like it will be great. It's weird too me because I still have an original gameboy. And I found all these 8bit levels right after buying the gameboy.
Thanks for the stars, everyone!

Offline Ganoan

• Wondering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:40 »
So, what kind of tilesets are you using? Are they selfmade (then, you caught this 8bit-feeling dramatically precise) or are they taken over from some Game Boy games (because especially the third screen reminds me of one special game, but at the moment I can't say which one that was...)?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:44:55 »
This looks awesome! Also frustrating, but I can put up with that.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 15:26:28 »
thanks to custom objects, I will add a yellow/greenish color like the old gameboy
you mean with an overlay? I don't know if that's a good idea, it could slog stuff down I think. you could just go and batch process a green tint into the tileset(s)...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Jerom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 21:32:10 »
@Ganoan: all the tilesets are selfmade ;) 4 colors for each tiles (which is not like the gameboy tiles with 3 colors + 1 transparent color).

it could slog stuff down I think. you could just go and batch process a green tint into the tileset(s)...
yes it's an overlay (big custom object on the 7th depth): it's more "coherent" with FX/monsters than a tint on the tilesets.
I don't see any slowdown in the KS Editor... But it's not a big deal if it will be any kind of overlay on the final level^^

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 13:11:35 »
The main issue I could think of with an overlay is that if will flash off between screens unless you implement stupidly complex preventive measures.

Offline Jerom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 20:05:56 »
@Sergiocornaga: yes, there are flashes bestween screens :( ...but can you tell me more about these stupidly complex preventive measures? I'm interested!

Edit: Oh, I find a solution: In the level, you can choose the colors of the overlay (yellow-green, brown, ...) or no color at all. This is a good solution about the overlay/flashes screen: if the flashes are too annoying, you can select "grey/no overlay" ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 20:14:51 by Jerom »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 05:37:07 »
@Sergiocornaga: yes, there are flashes bestween screens :( ...but can you tell me more about these stupidly complex preventive measures? I'm interested!

You could remove the flash by, in each room, setting the gradient to a screenshot of the room with the tint, then using a custom object of a screenshot of the room without the tint on layer 4 or 5 and finally adding the tint on layer 6 or 7. If you include enemies and objects in their starting positions in the gradient, it will prevent them from flashing as well.

Offline Jerom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 21:18:32 »
Ok, thanks for the tip!
But why have I to make a screenshot of the room, on the gradient/background AND on the 4/5 layer too? I don't understand why add 2 big CO is better...

(you're right, it's too complicated :D , I prefer my solution: the player will choose what he like: grey or colors).

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 21:20:06 »
This looks fantastic, my favourite screens are the cave, closely followed by the Mario block castle with spiky thwompy things.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 12:05:11 »
But why have I to make a screenshot of the room, on the gradient/background AND on the 4/5 layer too? I don't understand why add 2 big CO is better...

The gradient version would be pre-tinted with the colour, removing the flash. The two custom objects then load simultaneously, applying the tint effect on top of the black and white background along with enemies and other objects. But you're right, it's too much.