Shattered

• 8 Replies

Offline Spud

• View Profile
Shattered
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:30 »
Hi guys. This is a custom Knytt level that I have been working on for a few days. It isn't my first, I think my first I made 3 or 4 years ago and over the years when I was bored I dabbled around in the editor, but this is the farthest I've ever gone with a level so far.

The plot is that long ago, there was a beautiful continent inhabited by a variety of folk. Sadly, one night a storm ravaged the continent, tearing its very roots. The island sank deep beneath the sea. However, a barrier Bubble(capitalized because of how much the Knytts idolize this bubble) formed, protecting the continent from the harsh sea. This continent thrived once again, isolated and unknown by the outside world, but not at its former glory: due to being beneath the sea, it was always night. The people lived upon this continent beneath the sea for tens of thousands of years, knowing well that one day their great Bubble would pop, letting in the deathly sea from all sides. However, nobody really ever attempted to resurface the island. And then a Knytt named Junebug was born(I know the name is super similar to Juni, that's on purpose. It's sort of a reference/dedication to her, but I wanted a new character with a new tale). She lived in a town called Edgeville, exploring the surrounding meadows and hoping to one day resurface the continent. This is her story.

So yeah... the plot will hopefully slightly build throughout the game, however, the story will be "optional". By that I mean I will give the player the root of the story, hopefully piquing their interest, but the rest of the story will be scattered for the player to discover and assemble into a coherent tale. I'm just not a fan of a forced, in-depth story. Plus I want to keep a sort of magical, discover-the-world feel that The Machine/A Strange Dream has. I love the mystery and isolation those levels have.

As for the level style, I don't know what to call it. I guess challenge would be the most suitable, I'd compare it to The Machine or A Strange Dream: mostly just taking in the level(although I am pretty terrible at aesthetics), but their are challenge sections to test you, mostly athletic mazes in caves. Eh. And as for the level size, I want to try to go for a, once again Machine/Strange Dream(I'm trying to use the games as inspiration for the basics of my level, and using my own ideas for the actual areas and stuff) type size. I'd say I'm about 1/4 done, but who knows, the level could get much bigger if I end up... making the level bigger in some way or another.

For music, I plan to use custom music if I can find out how.

As for graphics, I unintentionally have thus far only used Nifflas style graphics. My goal is to only use default graphics and also my own hand drawn graphics. So far I have 2 complete tilesets with 1 in the works.

Here's the map... I've made this all in only a few days, I'm actually surprised:

Here's a legend:
Red: Sewer
Orange: Edgeville
Yellow: Night Lake Area, Trenchtown(starting area)
Light Green: Grey Caves
Dark Green: Lava Plains
Light Blue: Lava Lab Tunnels
Dark Blue: Woods
Those aren't official names, they just describe the gist of their areas. Most places in this level don't have names. I like the feel of not having names, it makes the world seem like a frontier to me.

Lastly, I need your help. As you can see, I'm not the best at aesthetics. I particularly struggle with backdrops(not the gradients, just things like far off hills and such). I find that a lot of the time you need to use a certain tileset with 1 certain gradient for the level to look good, and since I'm using mostly default tilesets this will obviously get boring since you've all seen the red poison woods with a red background and misty far-off trees and the like. So if any of you could throw me a tip or two about how to make decent backdrops to your levels that can apply in many areas of the game, or just aesthetic tips in general, that would be awesome. Thanks for reading my thread, I'll try to update it soon.  ;)

SCREENSHOTS:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:14:56 by Spud »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: Shattered
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 13:55:50 »
This is looking good :)

About the tiny screenshots, you just have to upload them to this forum, instead of using an external host. When you create a post or a thread, press "Additional Options", and under "Attach" you press the button to find each screenshot. Then you keep pressing (more attachments) in order to add more screenshots.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 20:11:40 »
This looks good! A lot of long projects like this die out before completion; I sincerely hope this isn't one of them. It sounds like it'll be great if it gets done.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 23:09:48 »
what he said
:)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:13:11 »
This is looking good :)

About the tiny screenshots, you just have to upload them to this forum, instead of using an external host. When you create a post or a thread, press "Additional Options", and under "Attach" you press the button to find each screenshot. Then you keep pressing (more attachments) in order to add more screenshots.

This looks good! A lot of long projects like this die out before completion; I sincerely hope this isn't one of them. It sounds like it'll be great if it gets done.
Thanks. I actually wouldn't consider this project "big", since I only have about 7 more themed areas I want to create, and I'm about 1/4 done I'd say after only a few days of work, so I'd say this will take 2 or 3 more months to complete(school is approaching and I'm getting busier).

what he said
:)

Thanks.

And one more screenshot just cuz. It's a sewer. It isn't new or anything, but I really like how I put lit up windows on its walls... it really has a creepy feel in my opinion, the fact that there are weird people living in a dark sewer, in a claustrophobic environment where they could kill you and nobody would be around to see or hear... it sends chills down my spine. Oh, and how many screenshots should I post? I'm thinking one every 2 weeks.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:02 »
Lastly, I need your help. As you can see, I'm not the best at aesthetics. I particularly struggle with backdrops(not the gradients, just things like far off hills and such). I find that a lot of the time you need to use a certain tileset with 1 certain gradient for the level to look good, and since I'm using mostly default tilesets this will obviously get boring since you've all seen the red poison woods with a red background and misty far-off trees and the like. So if any of you could throw me a tip or two about how to make decent backdrops to your levels that can apply in many areas of the game, or just aesthetic tips in general, that would be awesome.

I think your screenshots look very nice and fairly unique, so maybe you don't actually need help!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 13:07:11 »
My only concern is that you seem too have given out lots of upgrades in the first quarter of the level. I think in a long level it's good to spread them out as much as you can, but hey, it's your choice. Looks good, though having the bricks open to the distant gradient, then having windows in the wall... We can see what's behind the wall and it doesn't seem to be someone's home, even if they are creepy sewer people.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 13:41:06 »
My only concern is that you seem too have given out lots of upgrades in the first quarter of the level. I think in a long level it's good to spread them out as much as you can, but hey, it's your choice.
I had (actually, still have) this problem in my level. But I only thought about it when it was too late, I don't want to redo a big part of the level because of the upgrades.

So Spud, if you find that what Talps said could be a problem, fix it as soon as possible.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 23:39:31 »
Or don't bother, see how you find it and if you think you agree with me, remember it for the future.