• Sergio's Games
Re: Currencies?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 17:44:12 »
MicroSD cards might make good currency!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 20:29:26 »
When it comes to technical artifacts, the Knytt characters have very little information about what they are. They are probably familar with some terms, like megabytes or internet, but they do not know exactly what those items are. They don't have working computers after all, and are just trying to figure the devices out (though they're probably bound to fail).

If I label technological artifacts, it'd make most sense if they are labeled according to what term the characters in the game would assign to the item. If they know there's such a thing as a hard disk from some book they read, but not knowing what they are or look like, they'd probably believe that a CD is a hard disk.

Do you have ideas for other examples where they would make an incorrect assumption that still makes sense from their perspective? A chip can probably be a robot centipede.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 20:31:55 by Nifflas »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 21:32:06 »
I like the idea..

Laser diode crystals could be "life stones", maybe?

What about keyboard key's representing money?
For example, 1!, 2@, 3#, 4$, 5%, 6^, 7&, 8*, 9(, 0) could represent a lower unit and 1(end), 2(down arrow), 3(page down), 4(left arrow), 5, 6(right arrow), 7(home), 8(up arrow), 9(page up), 0(Insert) could represent a higher unit.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2011, 22:05:46 »
Well, I was actually thinking they would be aware of some computer and technology terms. Perhaps some book made it into the underground, and they also have some of the technology (which they'll call "artifacts"), though they don't know how they work. So, they start mixing up names with each other, and in their attempts to make sense out of it all they'll describe many tech items with an incorrect tech term.

I like the idea of keys on keyboards. It'd be awesome to go on a quest to find a caps lock. Perhaps some keys have names that can be confused with non-keyboard related technology too?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 22:08:05 by Nifflas »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2011, 23:48:00 »
In Knytt Stories the Knytt seem to have their own written language as seen on the orange buttons. Although some Knytt may be able to read human language, I don't think they all would. They should have their own interpretations of keyboard symbols where the letter/numbers are based on hieroglyphics which they have given their own meanings to. The 'J' could mean "fish hook". The 'M' could mean "cat ears". 'U' equals "smile". 'A' and 'V' for "male" an "female". The '+=' key could mean "death" as it looks like a grave. The keys should be associated with things that the Knytt know and feel are important or would have been important to humans.

It's probably too thin for a gameplay mechanic, but it could be used for entertaining info in the collection menu.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 23:52:14 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2011, 06:58:29 »
I like those ideas a lot, egomassive. A quest to assemble a keyboard (which would be pretty big in relation to the Knytts) sounds like fun too.

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 18:24:35 »
The 'J' could mean "fish hook".
I do not. >:I
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 20:04:21 »
I like those ideas a lot, egomassive. A quest to assemble a keyboard (which would be pretty big in relation to the Knytts) sounds like fun too.
Kind of how one might go on a dinosaur excavation?
Perhaps a way to gain an archaeologist's trust?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 13:17:27 »
An archeologist searching for human artifacts. He's looking for "glyphs" which happen to be keys from a keyboard (though the Knytt characters are completely unaware of that). They'll all have names that correspond to what the letter actually looks like.

I think that's an awesome idea, so thanks a lot for it! I've said it once already, but this thread is turning out to be very inspirational.

Offline Threrra

• I make games too
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 16:31:19 »
-The Knytt could believe that computer chips were potato chips for robots. (Ok, this one is poor.) ;)

Seriously, I was hoping there were at least some hard studying knytts, who can read our 'ancient' letters, but as it sounds, they all are completely unaware of it. Anyway, here are some ideas which assume that some knytt can understand our language, but make mistakes while reading it:

-An old Knytt who likes 'ancient artifacts' tries to reconstruct human history. He has pages of a history book.
He finds pictures of electrical batteries and believes they were long ago used in battle. To 'support' his theory, he misreads battery sometimes mistakingly as "battlery".
A AA battery or a AAA battery looks to this Knytt like a 'battering ram' he once saw on one of his book pages.
A button cell looks to him like a shiny shield. But he isn't sure whether he mixed them up with normal buttons, so he wants you to find some for him to research.

-also: Some Knytts mistake  1GB RAM for a big ram (uncastrated male sheep)
-bugs --> computer bugs

-bluetooth: A knytt lives on an underground island. He can't leave it because he can't swim.
But he heard , that bluetooth was once used for connections. He wants you to find a blue tooth so he can build a bridge and finally leave his island.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 17:48:46 by Threrra »

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 20:09:14 »
I like the idea of having to assemble a computer. It could get pretty long, though, if you choose to include all 101 keys :P

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline goxc

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:38 »
I know this thread has been around for a while and a lot of ideas are already out there but I figured another two cents couldn't hurt.

A few things that sprang to mind when I thought of currencies: Cogs, marshmallows (no idea why), clothes pegs, someone mentioned sheets of music and it made me think of having actual music notes as currency (maybe a bit too abstract), feathers from a particular bird, marbles, belt buckles.

Going with the technology theme, keyboard keys could literally be keys for unlocking doors. Megahertz could be mistaken for some kind of weapon. A mouse could be mistaken for an actual robot mouse, assuming mice exist in the Knytt universe (and it has wheels instead of feet. Get it, mouse-wheels? ... Maybe not).

Offline Mr Fish

• |#R. FIsH > ?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2012, 20:03:04 »
nuts and bolts? then higher valued ones in more valuable metal like gold, platinum etc.
this sprang to mind because i like the feel of chunks of metal, its strangely satisfying to roll them around in your hand  :crazy:
i also want mushrooms

Offline Mr Fish

• |#R. FIsH > ?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 17:47:42 »
also, as far as things that couldnt actually grow in the places the creatures live, surely that is better? if the currency used could just grow anywhere then would you not just be able to grow or steal all your money from the ground?
if the currency was a certain type of flower, wouldnt the point be that the banking system would be the only one who can grow/ create money? or have i really got the wrong end of the stick here :S

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 01:59:54 »
if the currency was a certain type of flower, wouldnt the point be that the banking system would be the only one who can grow/ create money?
There's been such currency in history. Some flower went well over its real value for some reason. People started growing a lot of it and then it collapsed. All today's currencies can be 'grown' by governments and gold can be 'grown' by gold mining. If flowers are a currency, one would need a whole lot of them to buy something. Or they would need to be magic so that one can't grow them easily.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:03:10 by GrayFace »