Currencies?

• 70 Replies
Re: Currencies?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 20:37:47 »
Irrelevant, but will it be possible to use one currency to buy another? Or are there no bureau de changes in Knyttwadf's world XD

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 21:25:39 »
As I understood it, Nifflas said that no, they will be independent, and thus not exchangeable.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 22:36:23 »
Indeed, there won't. The sole idea is that they act like keys to access certain areas. Once you have a currency, certain parts of the world become accessible.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline DiNo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 16:39:58 »
Sea shells would be awesome as the unvaluable currency. And they look like fossile ! :p

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 20:09:51 »
I have many great ideas here. I'm also going to make each item unique as suggested earlier in this thread.

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 00:34:57 »
I can't wait to also make up my own currencies in the level editor.  :)  I already have level design ideas that involve using the currencies function to have the player collect a certain amount of several different types of objects.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 20:15:38 »
Seeds of a rare fruiting tree?

Offline Mr Fish

• |#R. FIsH > ?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 21:46:43 »
first thing I thought of at reading the first lines of the thread was "paper clips", but that's just because I should really sleep.. it's just something silly that reminds me of something the characters from (for example) WaDF would do. X)
or some origami figures. :P
and I do like mushrooms, and not at all for the drug aspect. but acorns is nice too, they could just have gotten underground via a squirrel. although if you have acorn photos as background objects, that'd be weird...but on the other hand you also have mushrooms and flowers... XD
sleep->
mushrooms would be amazing...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 02:47:59 »
Lowest currency form = Insects

A rare beadle or moth that must be caught (collided with.) You could even have varying kinds for varying environments, as long as they all have a similar visual style unique to currency.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 03:08:31 »
What about insect larvae? They don't try to run away when you buy a bag of chips :P

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 22:49:39 »
In regards to the idea of using old technology for currency, I think that those teeny little button batteries would, aesthetically, fit quite well in terms of being currency.  And if you were to have greater forms of that same currency, you'd have bigger batteries (or different types entirely).  I feel like you could probably incorporate a typical battery checker somewhere in there somehow, whether it be for measurement, or, well... I don't know.

Were you to use flowers, I'd imagine that the petals would be most effective, but entire flowers would work as well, I suppose.  You'd have to have a nicely-reinforced patch to carry currency like that, designed so friction would tear the flowers apart....

This is a rather strange idea, and I'm not sure how you would go about executing it, but what if you were to use gigabytes/megabytes/etc, stored in some sort of memory stick or other piece of hardware (though this doesn't entirely make technological sense), as currency?  Or maybe use files that would take up space in your character's storage device(s) as a sort of currency?

You COULD even use something intangible, such as "inspiration," as your currency.  Gathering inspiration and giving it to painters or musicians, for instance.

Anyhow, that's my two pieces of undecided currency.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47:40 »
Haha, it would be awesome to just trade abstract items like megabytes, gigabytes, the internet or megahertz. "Give me eight gigabytes, and I'll give you some 64-bit in return."

Of course, this doesn't work in the Knytt world, so I can't do that :(

It gives me an idea though. In the game, humans aren't around any longer but they left a lot of stuff on the planet. Knytt characters are quite smart and could probably figure out human electronic devices - only they don't tend to have an interest doing that, which end up in them misinterpreting many things. Perhaps a quest can be related to a character who's collecting technology for a museum, and ask you to collect various items not knowing they're abstract, like megabytes or the internet. I'd just have to come up with actual items that can correspond to these measurements and abstract items, to make the misinterpretation make sense somehow...

So, if you didn't know what a Gigabyte was, what item would you picture it being?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:00:08 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:46 »
A gigabyte: I would it be a huge mouth. (giga = huge, byte= bite)
The Internet: I  would make it somekind of fishing net.

64-bit: A camb with 64 pins? :)

EDIT: A gigabyte could also be somekind of chocolate bar, although I would think Megabyte fits a chocolate bar better than a gigabyte. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:18:05 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 14:00:52 »
Haha!

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 15:25:43 »
Or maybe flash drives / hard drives with the respective capacity written on them. It is interesting that storage devices with more capacity are typically bigger in size.