Currencies?

• 70 Replies

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: Currencies?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 10:57:04 »
First idea that came to my mind were also mushrooms, too. I also like the idea of shells. What about pearls?
It seems to me, however, that we are only thinking of elements of the natural world. What about some strange technological artifacts which are the remnants of some ancient civilization?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 12:02:25 »
Ah, well, they can just as well be remnants of human technology, that'd go with the game story!

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:07:00 »
Maybe have mice, cellphones, car parts, TVs, gaming consoles... Saira's PDA!

Making unique items for at least one of those kinds of currency would be good, I think. In that context, you may want to read this blog post on the subject:
http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/beyond-good-evil-collectibles-review/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:14:30 by PONTO »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:17 »
That's very interesting. I'd actually love to do that, I can see why it's a good idea. It'd add extra development time, and I would need to figure out a way to set up the menu to display it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:45:21 by Nifflas »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 15:14:06 »
I love the idea of remnants of human technology as the hidden currency. You could play with the idea that Knytts are smaller than humans and have things like huge broken fragments of CDs or diamond ring hula hoops. As for other ideas, the money-like currency could be beads, and the NPC-given currency could be scones.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 15:35:17 »
Yeah! \o/

Some great inspiration comes from this topic.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 15:44:56 »
One of them could be one of the items from the alchemist in The Great Work. ;)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 16:40:10 »
Absolutely!

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 18:27:35 »
I would say that gold could be used for those common places. If you don't like the idea, how about diamonds.
Also, you say you have to get to certain areas with the common currency... Try to make certain areas more expensive than others
As for the other two currencies: Purple Crystals for the Middle Currency and Blue Moonstones for the Best Currency

Make the Crystals and Moonstones hard to find.
ex: Only put the moonstones in the extra areas of where you have to pay gold/diamonds and you need certain powerups you can't get if you enter the area for the first time. I like secrets....

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 19:28:48 »
As someone said, it would be good to add more money-types to one currency.
So what about when one currency will be fruit, then for example, 1 Fruit = apple, 2 Fruit = pear, 10 Fruit = cherry etc.
Or just totally random items having the same value.

And an extraordinary currency: Lightbulbs! (normal, neon, economy etc.), they could be in the streetlights, so the Knytt/Ball
could take (steal XD) them.

Or some Liquids! The Knytt/Ball must find some bowl/cup to take the liquid from its place (lake etc.), then Knytt could leave it behind or keep it, so she won't have to seek it anymore. It could be collected from waterfall, rain or drops too.

Or repeat some Knytt items as currencies! (dunno if mentioned yet)

Or it could be powder from plants/mushrooms, Knytt will need some sack to take it, then she comes to that plant/flower/mushroom and she shakes it and the sack fills.
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 19:58:09 »
Grookie: I'm not planning to add new game mechanics but I do appreciate the suggestions anyway.

Every type of currency have the same value, and they're not exchangeable. I think diamonds work better than gold with PONTO's suggestion that each item is unique. I can not come up with a lot of different natural shapes for gold, but diamonds can have all kind of different colours and names. Human artifacts can also be of various types, like a CD or a microchip. Finally I guess different kind of either fruit, mushrooms, or flowers could work.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 21:05:59 by Nifflas »

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 23:01:06 »
I'm also curious if we'll be able to customize these currencies in our own levels, by changing the graphic used for them, but also by having a larger number of different currencies than there are in the main game.  Or, similarly, will we be able to make quests in which the player has to collect a series of items in order to complete the quest?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:13 »
You'll be able to do all that.

Making quests will however be the most difficult aspect of designing a level. I haven't fully sorted out how it will work from a technical point of view, but I will probably design a (it'll be primitive, but still quite a challenge to design in MMF2) scripting language for quests. In seven working days all 1440 rooms in the game will be complete, 11 months after I started create the game. I'll dig into NPC's and quest scripting after that. Obviously this will by far be the game with the longest development time I've ever done.

To make things not too painfully difficult for me, I'll have some limitations. Each room can only connect to one quest (though a single quest can involve several rooms). Only one NPC in a single room can talk (though multiple NPC's can be in a single room). Only one item can be preset in a single room. That way, I only need to refer to room coordinates rather than specific object ID's or coordinates, and not have to figure out how to mark multiple things about a room on the world map in a small 16x16 pixel square. Of course I can make all that work too if I spend extra work, but I shouldn't waste time on things that are very easy to work around (just add more rooms).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 13:15:28 by Nifflas »

Offline pip

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 17:37:19 »
How about fossils ? Small ones, big ones, rare ones, common ones ...... etc.
Mammal fossils could be what one NPC wants, Fish fossils another, Plants yet another.
It's been a while... maybe I should try making a KS level and tileset .... Hmmm

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 20:35:46 »
That could definitely work too! Sounds fun to draw as well :)