[Hard/Challenge/Small] Within the Treetops

• 6 Replies

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
[Hard/Challenge/Small] Within the Treetops
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:24:03 »
This is a small level i made for the current knytt stories level competition. The difficulty is toned down a lot (A bit unusual) and is rather
easy to finish. All Tilesets used here are custom tilesets i made. Nonetheless, i hope you enjoy the level...

Download Link: Click to Download

Preview Picture

EDIT: The level itself is tagged as normal. If you aren't lazy or anything like that, change the tag to hard...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:27:41 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Normal/Challenge/Small] Within the Treetops
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 13:39:13 »
I like it a lot!

This is probably hard rather than normal due to a few difficult jumps.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: [Hard/Challenge/Small] Within the Treetops
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 15:26:00 »
Great level! Certainly not a Normal difficulty.

Offline hqql

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:18 »
I liked it up untill I tried getting to the secret ending. I've done some Hard levels but jeez, if those were hard this is very hard. I mean, there's pixelperfect and there's this piece of sh*t. The rest of the level was good, just about hard enough (though due to some jumps not really 'normal' either) but it was very doable, I loved the challenge and it was pretty neat how some stuff was hidden. Getting to the other ending is a whole different story, it's not even challenging to me because it's just too darn hard. Now I know this is partly my own skill talking, but it's also the way you 'balanced' the difficulty throughout the level and putting the [normal/hard] sticker on it. It just isn't right...

And really, I don't mind dying 20 times, but it does get old pretty quick when you find out the next screen is even worse. I got as far as the screen with the 2 buttons on it. If you're going to produce more levels (and please do because I really liked the style of the level [meaning: the only enemy is a bad jump or a lack of exploration of the level]) try and balance the difficulty better, and tag it properly.

If the secret ending would've been just a tad easier to get to it would've been really great.

Oh and P.S.
I hate not being able to finish a level, so don't think I'm a quitter or anything, yours is the first level I just CAN'T finish... and yes, that does piss me off a bit =P

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:11 »
I liked it up untill I tried getting to the secret ending. I've done some Hard levels but jeez, if those were hard this is very hard. I mean, there's pixelperfect and there's this piece of sh*t. The rest of the level was good, just about hard enough (though due to some jumps not really 'normal' either) but it was very doable, I loved the challenge and it was pretty neat how some stuff was hidden. Getting to the other ending is a whole different story, it's not even challenging to me because it's just too darn hard. Now I know this is partly my own skill talking, but it's also the way you 'balanced' the difficulty throughout the level and putting the [normal/hard] sticker on it. It just isn't right...

And really, I don't mind dying 20 times, but it does get old pretty quick when you find out the next screen is even worse. I got as far as the screen with the 2 buttons on it. If you're going to produce more levels (and please do because I really liked the style of the level [meaning: the only enemy is a bad jump or a lack of exploration of the level]) try and balance the difficulty better, and tag it properly.

If the secret ending would've been just a tad easier to get to it would've been really great.

Oh and P.S.
I hate not being able to finish a level, so don't think I'm a quitter or anything, yours is the first level I just CAN'T finish... and yes, that does piss me off a bit =P

Well, technically... You did finish the level? That is what the normal ending is for.
I have a habit of making my knytt stories levels extremely difficult (They are usually lunatic difficulty...). I wanted to make it so the player had to earn his way to the secret ending...

At least you enjoyed the rest of the level though... It is not like my level is an abomination to mankind or something on that level :/

Offline hqql

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:10 »

Oh and P.S.

Well, technically... You did finish the level? That is what the normal ending is for.
I have a habit of making my knytt stories levels extremely difficult (They are usually lunatic difficulty...). I wanted to make it so the player had to earn his way to the secret ending...

At least you enjoyed the rest of the level though... It is not like my level is an abomination to mankind or something on that level :/

I got to a finish, yeah, but I meant I like completing a level and you know I did :P

Anywho, I like incremental difficulty, it keeps the level interesting, but the difference between the normal parts of your level and the harder parts, it's just too big. I don't have any problems with 'earning your way to the secret ending' though, I think it should be a bit harder than getting to the normal ending. In your level however it's not 'a bit' harder, it's WAY harder, and that makes the level for someone of my skill less enjoyable. I don't know how far from the secret ending I got but I'd like to think I got far enough to prove I'm not some whiny noob.

Btw, I'm sorry I was a bit harsh in my previous post, I was pretty disappointed in not being able to complete the level.

Hope this helps.

Offline Mitorun

• Web Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Knytt Stories fan website
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 14:17:27 »
It's definitely my favorite level KS!

I do not know how you feel about the "Let's Play" and a spoiler, but still leave it here (do not look to those who still hopes to finish the level yourself!):

Let's Play Knytt Stories: Within the Treetops (part 1 Easy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCs8IsNSLI

Let's Play Knytt Stories: Within the Treetops (part 2 Lunatic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt5CjpLPFAg