[Medium/Challenge/Hard] The Cave by Knyttster

• 2 Replies

Offline Knyttster

• Oh, look at this, it's my personal text!
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
[Medium/Challenge/Hard] The Cave by Knyttster
« on: July 31, 2011, 21:10:56 »
Well, my level is finally done. This is the first level I have ever made, and it's for the KS Level Competition: Claustrophobia. It's really short with only 15 screens. It has two secret areas with NPCs, and a custom objects. Screenshots can be seen here: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=4930.0

You can download my level here: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Knyttster%20-%20Untitled.knytt.bin

Please criticize!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Re: [Medium/Challenge/Hard] The Cave by Knyttster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 20:58:08 »
I played the level, however I'm abstaining from any critique until the competition is over.

But you can feel free to put a link to this thread in the competition thread if you want.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline hqql

• View Profile
Re: [Medium/Challenge/Hard] The Cave by Knyttster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 14:42:59 »
I didn't really have to go looking for the hidden rooms since they were pretty easy to find, and apart from the 3 enemies and what, like 4 spike traps, there wasn't much to do besides walking. The Mario sprite was fun, eventhough it didn't serve any purpose (unless you'd count killing you) and the text balloons were still empty (kinda sloppy..), as for the rest, it's all been done before, the dark maze, the way you hid the rooms, the waterfall. I mean, sure, it's not like you're the only one who has done these, but I'd expect a bit more creativity in a level of 15 only screens, and especially more of a challenge.. The Medium/Challenge/Hard tag is very inaccurate, since it's more of a [Very Small/Environmental/Maze/Easy] level, in my opinion.

Make a larger level, add more stuff, PLEASE give a run powerup if you're not set on making a lot of traps based on Juni not having that powerup and truly finish it (the pointless secret room and the empty textballoons).

The first 2 screens were pretty fun to play, eventhough they were not much to look at, and after that the environment got increasingly better but also increasingly boring to 'play' (having to use 1 key per screen is boring).

Hope it helps.