How do I make messages to the player?

• 5 Replies
How do I make messages to the player?
« on: June 29, 2011, 22:21:05 »
How do I make those text boxes in Knytt Stories and how do I edit the text?

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make messages to the player?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 22:32:12 »
I'd suggest looking around a little more for help; a lot of this stuff is answered >here<, or in other topics that people like you have asked in, about nearly the same things, like this over >here<. If those don't help at all, don't worry, we will be more than happy to help; just explain what you do and don't understand. Of course, if those do help, that's great, and you are well on your way! Take care! :)

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 22:38:37 »
No problem. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them, but try to look in >here< first, and always post your KS editing questions in there as well. Anyway, good luck! ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 22:41:34 »
I'd suggest looking around a little more for help; a lot of this stuff is answered >here<, or in other topics that people like you have asked in, about nearly the same things, like this over >here<. If those don't help at all, don't worry, we will be more than happy to help; just explain what you do and don't understand. Of course, if those do help, that's great, and you are well on your way! Take care! :)
Ok. I did everything correctly (I think). I opened the manager (current screen) and switched it to sign A. I typed everything and hit save, but it still doesn't show a speech bubble in-game. What did I do wrong?

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 22:47:02 »
That's not a mistake! Don't worry; the text is probably saved. You need to put a "Sign A" some where the screen. It's in the "Systems" bank. If you want to be fancy, put a "Sign A" where you want the text to be, and "Sign Area A" around the location you want it to show up. IE; I want people to see the text above this rock; so put the "Sign A" above the rock, and the "Sign Area A" around the rock. Experiment, you'll get it. That's fancy, though, so for right now, just start off getting a "Sign A" on the screen. When the character passes over it, the text you wanted should appear, all things having gone right.

It's Bank 0 Object 17 for the "Sign A". It's also clearly marked in writing. Hope this helps!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 22:52:08 »
That's not a mistake! Don't worry; the text is probably saved. You need to put a "Sign A" some where the screen. It's in the "Systems" bank. If you want to be fancy, put a "Sign A" where you want the text to be, and "Sign Area A" around the location you want it to show up. IE; I want people to see the text above this rock; so put the "Sign A" above the rock, and the "Sign Area A" around the rock. Experiment, you'll get it. That's fancy, though, so for right now, just start off getting a "Sign A" on the screen. When the character passes over it, the text you wanted should appear, all things having gone right.

It's Bank 0 Object 17 for the "Sign A". It's also clearly marked in writing. Hope this helps!
Oh! I found my mistake! I put Sign Area A instead of Sign A. Thanks again! :D