[Easy] [Environmental] WHOA.

• 10 Replies

Offline Onematty

• View Profile
[Easy] [Environmental] WHOA.
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:30:17 »
Ok, I know. FOur levels i none day. Sorry. But I just completed the beta for my WHOA level. Ok, this is finished for now, but I do plan on making a V2 thats bigger, I just need you guys to give me some ideas and maybe provide some more tile sets. This is basicaly a whole bunch of different game worlds in one, and each screen is a different game. Its EXTREMELY short, but hopefuly the nostalgia some of you will have will make up for that.
EDIT: WAIT. I need to fix something... Give yo uthe fixed link shortly. Sorry, I forgot to give yo ua crucial power up at the beggining ^^;
FIXED: http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/Matt%20-%20WHOA%28FIXED%29.knytt.bin
CRAP, nvm...ok, just add the climb powerup, even though I'm positive I added it that time, I msut've forgotten to save in a hurry, and I don't want Nifflas getting pissed off at me for re-uploading the same level 3 times on his site >.>

Games are as follows:
Super Mario World.
Legend Of Zelda.
La-Mulana(ok, so I cheated with this one by using an already existing screen I pre-made, it's still cool...)
Tetris(complete with theme)
Knytt(Or at least the opening menu of it).

I worked hard o nthis and I am sorry I made about 3 levels today, I just keep getting inspired to make more...I'm done for today though, so don't worry. Expect more fro mme in the future though, once I learn more and get enough time to make more then 5 screens of gameplay...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:39:13 by Onematty »

Re: [Easy] [Environmental] WHOA.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38:25 »
Super Mario World.
Legend Of Zelda.
La-Mulana(ok, so I cheated with this one by using an already existing screen I pre-made, it's still cool...)
Tetris(complete with theme)
Knytt(Or at least the opening menu of it).
So, your level is made up of those games? If so... *downloads*
Lurk more.

Offline Onematty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:58 »
So, your level is made up of those games? If so... *downloads*
Yes, but theres an error and yo uhave to add the climb powerup. Not that it makes a difference. Only thing inaccesable is the level ending, which isn't anything but "You Win". I stil lcan't believe I forogt to add the climb powerup, its the bases for all things Knytt  <_<

And please, give me feedback. I know for a fact this level, to say the least, has POTENTIAL.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:49:27 by Onematty »

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 21:38:47 »
Just finished playing this...
First off, it is a pretty creative idea to use these tilesets (if you were the one that made them), but this level is only 5 screens long. And most of the screens are pretty broken and uninteresting. There are multiple invisible walls, and invisible objects as well.
I like the idea behind this, although it has clearly been used in many other levels (Don't Eat the Mushroom by UncleSporky is one of the most popular.)
You cannot limit yourself to spending just an hour or so creating a level. Good levels take days, weeks, or even months to complete. Even if they are short; the amount of time put into it goes into the details.
If you were to expand on this idea, and make it into an actual level, it could be good. But five incomplete screens doesn't make a level, especially a "Whoa".
If you're new to level creating, I'm not trying to sound harsh. Just keep at it, it's all a learning experience  :^^:. As I said before, this could be a fun idea if you expand on it.

Edit: By the way, level "betas" aren't complete levels. You can post ideas and unfinished levels in the "Level Preview" section of the forum. I've been judging this level based on thinking it being "complete".

Offline BlackM.1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 22:11:13 »
Well this was a neat little level, real strange though, short but alright I guess :)

Oh and Static, levels don't need time to make them good, it just takes a good mind to make them good. And from what the first paragraph says, its not a beta since matty said they just completed the beta

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 00:11:13 »
Oh and Static, levels don't need time to make them good, it just takes a good mind to make them good. And from what the first paragraph says, its not a beta since matty said they just completed the beta

I disagree. Yes, a creative mind is required, but good levels also require time and effort. Just a few hours doesn't show a lot of effort.
Not that I'm insulting Matty. He seems to have a good eye for design, and the level is very creative (albeit a bit unoriginal), but more needs to be put into it. If he does put some more time into it, and make it quite a bit longer (not by necessarily making more tilesets, but span them out across more than one screen) it could be a great level!

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 00:26:40 »
I love tetris

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:39:27 »
This is fail. 3 bugs per 6 screens.
Lurk more.

Offline Onematty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:59:46 »
This is fail. 3 bugs per 6 screens.
I know it's fail. In plan on working more on this later. Right now, I am actualy putting more effort into a level I plan to release Monday. Meaning all of you won't have to suffer from me until then at the least.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:58 »
I know it's fail. In plan on working more on this later. Right now, I am actualy putting more effort into a level I plan to release Monday. Meaning all of you won't have to suffer from me until then at the least.

Matty dont take it personally. I have a feeling youre not a bad level creator, you just need to put more time into your levels before releasing them. Plan to spend at least a few days on your levels, adding new parts, refining, and testing them. Its better to release one long, quality level as opposed to 5 short, mediocre ones. Which I'm sure you can do. Keep at it ;) its a learning experience.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:48:06 by StaticRomantic »

Offline Onematty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:29:57 »
Matty dont take it personally. I have a feeling youre not a bad level creator, you just need to put more time into your levels before releasing them. Plan to spend at least a few days on your levels, adding new parts, refining, and testing them. Its better to release one long, quality level as opposed to 5 short, mediocre ones. Which I'm sure you can do. Keep at it ;) its a learning experience.
I know your not insulting me, and trying to help. I know I have the POTENTIAL, I just seriously lack the effort. As is my life story, I guess... But I'm trying to get better.