[Challenge][Easy]Generic Level

• 11 Replies

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Easy]Generic Level
« on: June 07, 2011, 22:04:00 »
One day during literature class I got very bored and started drawing an imaginary Knytt Stories level. As time went by, and the lesson became even more boring, I noticed that the level I've created is actually pretty decent. I started working on it as soon as I got home.
Today, after about 2 weeks of very lazy development, the level is finished and ready to be published. I call it "generic level" because it's a very basic level: No new mechanics, no interesting gimmicks, no exploits of the level editor, just plane old-school Knytt Stories with some custom music and maybe a tileset or two.

Here are a few screenshots:

This is the original design I drew at school:

Ditto, with walkthrough arrows in case you'd get stuck:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

And here's the download:
Link (19.1 MB)

Please remember to share your opinion!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:28:35 by TheYeIIowDucK »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge][Easy]Generic Level
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 23:32:55 »
I was apprehensive because of the labeling as "generic" and "nothing special", but once I started playing I felt refreshed. You've made a little bit of Knytt zen here. It's probably normal difficulty rather than easy due to some of the spiky parts.

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 00:48:15 »
I'm with egomassive - while this level may have been generic, it goes to show that a level needn't feature anything new or amazing to be fun to play. The areas were very nicely designed and looks good, the music was great, and the story was compelling without being convoluted. Well done!

Offline powderj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:51:12 »
There isn't a thing wrong with this level!  Nice story, pretty environmentals, fun challenges and a great flow!  You've got some good talent going and I'd love to see more from you.  Well done!!!

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:30 »
I was apprehensive because of the labeling as "generic" and "nothing special", but once I started playing I felt refreshed. You've made a little bit of Knytt zen here. It's probably normal difficulty rather than easy due to some of the spiky parts.

I don't know what about you, but I find these spiky bits quite easy. To me, the hardest part of the level is just before you enter the room with the ghost eye, where have to navigate through a pit with a spark-bursting creature popping out of it. Every time I try to pass through that part I die at least 5 times.

I'm with egomassive - while this level may have been generic, it goes to show that a level needn't feature anything new or amazing to be fun to play. The areas were very nicely designed and looks good, the music was great, and the story was compelling without being convoluted. Well done!

Thank you! I personally think that the story is the weakest aspect of the level. I made it up in less than a minute when I realized there is no real objective or goal for the player.

There isn't a thing wrong with this level!  Nice story, pretty environmentals, fun challenges and a great flow!  You've got some good talent going and I'd love to see more from you.  Well done!!!

I don't think I'll be making many more Knytt Stories levels, or at least not very soon.
There are quite a lot of rubbish ones I've made in my past under a different name. This is the first real 'professional' level I've made and it's the first one to take me more than 2 hours. I actually feel a bit burned out.
I do have an incomplete level called Night Tower. The custom tilesets and music used in Generic Level were all originally created/downloaded for Night Tower, and in the way I see it, Generic Level IS the finished Night Tower. You can see some screenshots of Night Tower in the credits.
There also is an original idea (or at least I think that it's original) that I want to toy with. I probably won't create another full-scale level just to showcase that one idea, but I do want to create an "experiment" level with a basic tileset.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 13:30:28 »
...I don't know what about you, but I find these spiky bits quite easy. ...

I didn't have any trouble with them, but I'm pretty good at Knytt Stories as I expect you are. It's the part where you have to open and close the umbrella quickly to thread your way between two kill zones. It's only my opinion, but this kind of obstacle doesn't belong in an easy level. Anyway, don't worry about it. The slightly difficult stuff probably made it more fun for me. The challenges are well balanced from beginning to end, whatever difficulty they may be.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 17:14:30 »
i shall give this level a try...

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 18:05:11 »
Just finished the level... A good time-killer i must say.
This level was kind of easy but the difficulty label is easy though...
This was a good level with a stable storyline...

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:48:22 »
Finished the level a while ago. The overall level design is very good, though I think the difficulty should be Medium instead of Easy, if only because of the last couple of obstacles. The plot is kind of an excuse plot, but you said yourself you made it in less than a minute. And I especially liked the music! (Could you tell me what song played at the beach? That was probably the best song I've heard used in a level.) All in all, a very good level.

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 12:02:44 »
Finished the level a while ago. The overall level design is very good, though I think the difficulty should be Medium instead of Easy, if only because of the last couple of obstacles. The plot is kind of an excuse plot, but you said yourself you made it in less than a minute. And I especially liked the music! (Could you tell me what song played at the beach? That was probably the best song I've heard used in a level.) All in all, a very good level.
I used custom music because I really hate the defaults songs. Almost all the music you've heard was created by C418. He gave me permission to use his music some time ago via Twitter.
Oh yes, I love that beach song. It is the only one not made by C418, and it seems like I forgot to credit it :/
Anyway, it is called Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. You can easily find it on Youtube.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:39 »
I think you do yourself an injustice by calling this 'generic'. This is a very pretty, very fun level made to a high standard; it was all put together very well, the exploration was great and the challenges were well balanced and not frustrating (I'd say 'normal' difficulty too; 'easy' levels to my mind are basically pure environmental). I especially liked the passages after the eye, but all the environments were very, very pretty.

The only lacking part of it was the story; I really wish you'd extended the effort there, and made a decent ending, and you'd have had a really fantastic level. As it is, it's still great; one of the best levels for a while.

Well done!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 18:24:16 »
Like the others said, for a "generic" level this is very well worked out. Nice sense of space with those rock arcs. It was so nice to see a large level, beautifully designed, at this time when there are so few KS levels released... Also, the music was really fitting everywhere, except the challenge parts at the end, which I found a bit jarring compared to the rest of the level. Anyway, a good piece of work, thank you for this opportunity to enjoy a bit of KS magic again :)