The World In Which We Explore (Environmental Collab)

• 35 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: The World In Which We Explore (Environmental Collab)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 18:00:38 »
The old: environmental/challenge debate again...

Basically environmental isn't just a beautiful level. Its a level only made to explore with no enemies or other kinds of challenge. If you want challenge, then its just not an environmental level. There's no rule that prevents you from making your challenge level look pretty though.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline 60FourMaster

• Join The Collab! (The World Which We Explore)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 05:10:32 »
I see... Then I'm gonna make the decision to remove the enemies and keep this an Environmental project.  Thanks LPChip.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 11:28:18 »
Bytheway: An enemy, such as a plant can be part of the level (as scenery) as long as you do not have to pass it in order to beat the level. The level cannot be labeled challenge due to the plant being there either.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 18:23:22 »
Alright!  I'm getting better at not procrastinating so much.  Here's a revised version of the Underworld song, now... double in length, because I just couldn't help myself.  I'm bad with a "little bit" sometimes.  It IS just a little bit slower (5 BPM, to be exact) as well.  And it can loop!  Though... it might not sound so great outside of Cubase, now that I think of it.  Take a listen, try to loop it, if it sounds alright, no worries, but if the loop sounds weird, I think I'll know how fix it, and it'll take like... literally a minute to do that, if it's necessary.
http://www.mediafire.com/?z3ku2nji3u0dhu3

I'd be more than happy to contribute other types of material, particularly level design and similar "idea-based" mediums (MAYBE some gradients or tiles (or even CO's!) here or there), but I want to finish Pouring (which shouldn't take TOO long) before I get to that, so, for now, music is all I'll put in.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:53 »
Nice track. It seems to loop very well. You might not want to do this, but you can take the OGG quality down to about 1 without affecting the song audibly and it cuts down on file size a lot.

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:19 »
That is perfect, Ultigonio. 8) Thank you!  I'd be glad if you could contribute more to the project, all the help we can get is good help.  I'm almost done with my school year, so I'll be able to start working on laying down the base for everyone (by that I mean the surface.)  I'd like everyone who is considering building the world to please put their ideas for themes down and when they will be able to work on it.  Also, I have an idea for a storyline.  Here it goes:

Juni is participating in a hometown bike race in hopes of (some sort of motivational item or quality).  At some point during the race, her brakes give and she falls into a rushing river.  She falls unconscious after trying to fight the current and awakens to find herself in an underground lake.  Not knowing where she is, she sets out to explore the land which she has fallen into, trying to find her way home.

Note: Juni is unaware of the Ancient Temple or any sort of civilizations in the area, so it is assumed that she is in a foreign area, not inhabited by Knytt.  This means, go wacky with CO animals and creatures.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 20:08:59 »
Note: Juni is unaware of the Ancient Temple or any sort of civilizations in the area, so it is assumed that she is in a foreign area, not inhabited by Knytt.  This means, go wacky with CO animals and creatures.
This last bit makes me rather tempted to have us take a look at Egomassive's Knytt Stories Mod, despite it being unfinished.  It might be a little extra effort, but it'd be great to test out the functionality of having custom enemies and the like.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 20:16:47 »
Well as I stated before, I'd rather keep this to a true environmental level.  If anyone wants to add an enemy here or there I personally do not mind, but others may.  As for mods, could we steer clear of those? I've never had good luck with them.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 21:34:30 »
As for mods, could we steer clear of those?
Oh, but Jace is a really nice guy, once you get to know him. :nuts:

-- Sorry, I just couldn't resist here. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 00:57:17 »
Clever Chip... Clever.  X-P I think you know what I mean though.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 22:17:06 »
Well as I stated before, I'd rather keep this to a true environmental level.  If anyone wants to add an enemy here or there I personally do not mind, but others may.  As for mods, could we steer clear of those? I've never had good luck with them.

*cries* Hey, at least try out the demo level of my KS mod before you shoot it down. If you want lots of custom creatures then it is perfect for that, they can have behaviors from original creatures rather than animation loops. Also, if you're familiar with editing the World.ini directly or using Custom Objects, then the implementation is rather easy.

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 06:05:47 »
Alright, as long as I don't have to do anything than I'm completely fine with using a mod.  I just don't wanna have to install it.  /lazy  X-P

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 07:26:54 »
*raises hand*

I SERIOUSLY want to mess with Ego's mod anyway; I'd love to do any work with implementing it and all that.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 22:39:10 »
Alright, well will you have to make a new level to be able to use it? Or can you just install it and have it work with a pre-existing level?