The World In Which We Explore (Environmental Collab)

• 35 Replies

Offline 60FourMaster

• Join The Collab! (The World Which We Explore)
    • View Profile
The World In Which We Explore (Environmental Collab)
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:40:48 »
So, I've had this idea on my mind for a while. I've always wanted to do a 'pass the level' sort of project with a bunch of fellow Knytters.  The idea is, everyone who wants to participate takes a section of a level (about 10x10 or 25x25) and creates their own small world within.  One person does this, then passes it to the next participant, then the next and the next until eventually we have a massive, gorgeous level.  

The general layout would look something like this:

Mostly underground areas.  You can make open areas that seem like outdoors underground, but for organizational purposes, pretty caves, underground cities, volcanoes, subterranean jungles, etc. are what should be going on.  Now, on the map there are some terms:

-The Crease: Where the world warps around.  There will be a few areas that I will open up at the edges of the map to create a fast lane from one side of the world to the other. They won't be everywhere, but they will be there.

-The Edge: The 'end'.  This area is a flat out "bottom of the world" type zone.  Again, this will be something that I add once we're done passing the map.  I'm currently working out how I will make that look but I'm thinking something that looks like a graphical glitch...

-Ancient Temple: The ultimate 'goal' of the map.  This will be a moss-covered underground temple where a true challenge will be implemented.  It will need to be accessed by means of four keys.  Here, the player will also find the eye which will aid them in finding said keys.  

Like the title says, this is an environmental map, so anyone who adds to it should make it pretty. Pleasing to the eye.  I've seen some great looking levels here on the forums, and I'd like to see something similar in the entries.  Things like keys and power-ups will be added once the map gets done being passed around.  Contributers should also name each distinct area they create.  I will add some CO's to show the names of each area upon entry.  Don't know what I'm talking about? Play SecretGlitch's 'Dark Sea 2' and get to the communications tower, then you'll know what I'm talking about.  We will pass the level around via Skype, so if you're interested add me on there. My user is x60fourmaster.  Each area should have at least  two clearly defined entrances, but no more than 4. 
Any further questions should be asked on here, and I will answer them.

Sincerely, 60FourMaster
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 16:55:28 by 60FourMaster »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: The World In Which We Explore (Environmental Collab)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 14:48:32 »
I like your proposal and would be keen to participate. Too busy right now though, maybe in a month's time!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:54:15 »
I too am interested in this, and would like to make something for it. I neither have nor care for Skype, though; is there any other way I could join in?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:03:05 »
Just thought I'd chime in that I'm also not interested in using Skype... what's the point?

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:21:27 »
I too am interested in this, and would like to make something for it. I neither have nor care for Skype, though; is there any other way I could join in?

I only thought of using Skype because that's the best way I know to pass around the knytt.bin file and keep tabs on it.  Does anyone else have an idea for how to pass it about?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:09:36 »
The forum PM system combined with file hosting sites would probably be a simple solution. Alternatively, we could share a Knytt Stories folder through Dropbox (which would mean everyone participating would automatically have access to the latest version of the level as long as they have an Internet connection) and work in shifts to ensure no loss of data.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 00:38:39 »
I'm absolutely interested since I haven't really messed with KS lately.  I totally failed at the last collaborative project, but that's just 'cause I was so busy. :/  I would absolutely LOVE to contribute something like music or whatever, though (if not actually partake in the level design).  That'd be great.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 13:31:26 »
The forum PM system combined with file hosting sites would probably be a simple solution. Alternatively, we could share a Knytt Stories folder through Dropbox (which would mean everyone participating would automatically have access to the latest version of the level as long as they have an Internet connection) and work in shifts to ensure no loss of data.
I've had nothing but problems with Dropbox... But then again, that was a long time ago. We could try that, instant access would be a very good thing.

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 23:16:05 »
I'm absolutely interested since I haven't really messed with KS lately.  I totally failed at the last collaborative project, but that's just 'cause I was so busy. :/  I would absolutely LOVE to contribute something like music or whatever, though (if not actually partake in the level design).  That'd be great.
Welcome aboard! Am I right in understanding that you can make music?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 02:48:18 »
You absolutely are!  If not one of the things I am best at doing, it's certainly one of the things I enjoy doing most.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 21:58:40 »
You absolutely are!  If not one of the things I am best at doing, it's certainly one of the things I enjoy doing most.
This is excellent.  :^^: Custom Music is not only accepted, but highly encouraged! That said, could you make a slow, scary sounding song with an organ and heavy bass drum for an underworld themed area?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 00:45:05 »
I'm just gonna' stop the quote pyramid right here.

I put a little something together to fit your request. How does this sound?
http://www.mediafire.com/?h5gprys0j4ei7ol

Too sinister?  Not sinister enough?  Needs more development?  Too short?  Should it loop?  So many questions aaaah.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:35 »
I'm just gonna' stop the quote pyramid right here.

I put a little something together to fit your request. How does this sound?
http://www.mediafire.com/?h5gprys0j4ei7ol

Too sinister?  Not sinister enough?  Needs more development?  Too short?  Should it loop?  So many questions aaaah.
Start the quote pyramid again! xD And yes, it should loop. Perhaps a bit slower, a bit longer too.  Here's a little taste of what the underworld area will look like And while that's there, what does everyone think of that image? The underworld will be a 3 screen high area just before The Edge.  Also, here are some areas I was thinking could be implemented:
-Concrete Jungle
-Oil Well
-Upside-down Town
-Cave of Erasure

I'll edit this list when I think of/remember more.  Feel free to post your ideas as well.  Also, we need a story. Should we go generic or come up with something original?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 10:26:29 »
I really like the general visual style of the screenshot you posted. But with those two enemies, I don't think this level can be classified as environmental.

Offline 60FourMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 17:10:47 »
True, true. Perhaps it could be Challenge [Easy]/ Environmental? Or I could remove those enemies altogether.