Your texts for my level, please?

• 15 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Your texts for my level, please?
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:27:03 »
While I take a break from my Unnamed Level, I decided to make a small, simple level, called "The Library". There are some books in it that you can read, and I would really like if some of those "books" came from this community. Obviously, I'm not asking for actual books, they're really just small texts. I already made one, with less than 300 words, and that was more than enough.
There are no rules, the texts can have any size, poems with just a few words, or larger texts (not too large, though, that would be kind of boring for the player). You can submit anything from jokes to really depressing texts, no limits in that area either. References to other books, movies or even videogames, those are all welcome. Just don't submit something that's not yours, thats all :)

I would be really happy if I could get some help from the community on this simple level.

If you want to submit a text, post it here, or send it to me via PM, if you don't want it to be seen here before the level is released.
Thank you in advance.

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: Your texts for my level, please?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:14:13 »
Random story making... go!

Spoiler: Story1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sentences (click to show/hide)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:39 »
What kind of texts would you prefer? Is there a specific theme you'd like theme to have? Or can it just be whatever? Also, I'm assuming you're using cutscenes for this; is it okay if we put up the texts as cutscene pictures?

Offline Zackarii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 13:13:47 »
This sounds like a fun idea. I'll try to create a story when I'm at school today. Shouldn't be too hard. If i'm not too distracted and if I stay focus I can get it done in the afternoon when I have no afternoon classes.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 15:03:42 »
you should include that story that nifflas made once about a winged girl...if only I could find it. X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 18:28:51 »
you should include that story that nifflas made once about a winged girl...if only I could find it. X)
This one?
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 19:31:09 »
Thanks guys :)

I liked what you did, jetio4.

What kind of texts would you prefer? Is there a specific theme you'd like theme to have? Or can it just be whatever? Also, I'm assuming you're using cutscenes for this; is it okay if we put up the texts as cutscene pictures?
There is no specific theme, write about whatever you want.
Yes, I'm usinc cutscenes, but I want them all to have the same basic structure, to mantain some level of consistency in the level, so I would prefer if you could give it in plain text. If you prefer to give the pictures, thats just fine, I'll see what I can do with it.

Also, you can include illustrations if you want, that would be kinda cool :)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 13:42:20 »
Would be cool to have real books you can read poetry and such from. Some older well known works maybe?

btw there is a really great library tileset somewhere. I don't have it on me but think I can locate it in my worlds folder. If you want.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 14:55:49 »
Would be cool to have real books you can read poetry and such from. Some older well known works maybe?

btw there is a really great library tileset somewhere. I don't have it on me but think I can locate it in my worlds folder. If you want.
Don't bother, I like making my own tilesets, even if they don't turn out that well, but thanks anyway.
Real books are huge, and it would be a pain in the ass to put them in such small screens.  jetio4's text took 3 pages (2 scenes), a real book would be way to much I think. But poetry, yes, that would be very cool. I don't think there is a problem with including someone else's poems there.
But it would be even cooler with stuff made by users, like jetio4 did :)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 16:11:53 »
Let me revive this thread...
These texts are now going to be part of Time Fixes Everything (link in my signature), and there will be no "Library" level. So it would be nice to have some more of those :)
Maybe not even just texts, could be an art book or a comic book, anything I can put un a book :D

Here is an example of what jetio4's text looks like in the game:

This was done some time ago, shortly after he posted the text here, and I may or may not make a new version (because the text doesn't fit there at all and it looks clumsy), but you get the idea.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 22:33:47 »
Just something i wrote...

Your Opinion?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 22:38:32 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 22:42:40 »
Just something i wrote...

Your Opinion?
Yes, perfect :D Exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, it's not that I don't want to write my own texts, it just get much more interesting if other people join in.
And I have a feeling that text comes from personal experience :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 04:10:48 »
Are you using the same book template for all texts? If so, it would be nice if you could post a blank one.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:11 »
Are you using the same book template for all texts? If so, it would be nice if you could post a blank one.
Sure, here it is. I changed the background a bit from the last pic I uploaded.
I also included a newer example with text, justified looks much better.

Thanks.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:07 »
Typo: It's 'below', not 'bellow'.