[Challenge, Normal, Hard] Tower Of Trials

• 6 Replies

Offline rs0320

• View Profile
[Challenge, Normal, Hard] Tower Of Trials
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:27 »
So I've just finished my very first level, (Thus meaning this wasn't made with any practice whatsoever, and I tested alot of stuff) and I'd like to hear what the knytt community thinks of said level. It's pretty short though, and not very inventive. You can download it if you wish to try it here: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/ThreeHeadGuy%20-%20Tower%20of%20Trials%20v1.2.knytt.bin
Update:
 v1.1. Fixed some complaints.
 v1.2. Fixed some more stuff, added better backgrounds, more details, etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:48:24 by rs0320 »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge, Normal, Hard] Tower Of Trials
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:19 »
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your level is all but unplayable. The second floor is way too busy, have you actually even played through it yourself?

As a piece of constructive criticism, though, try to make use of the "sign area" objects rather than huge swathes of signs copied across a screen. You can find information on the sign area objects (and all the other objects too) in Exp HP's Object Compendium thread. There are many other useful threads in the Knytt Stories Level Editing Support board aswell.

Offline rs0320

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 13:05:02 »
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your level is all but unplayable. The second floor is way too busy, have you actually even played through it yourself?

As a piece of constructive criticism, though, try to make use of the "sign area" objects rather than huge swathes of signs copied across a screen. You can find information on the sign area objects (and all the other objects too) in Exp HP's Object Compendium thread. There are many other useful threads in the Knytt Stories Level Editing Support board aswell.
So by busy do you mean there's too much shit on the screen or what?
And also by answering your second question, yes, I have in fact played through it. Multiple times. On different computers. I've also had other people play it, and it is quite difficult for some, but it's supposed to be that way.
Also, don't be ''sorry'' for for being the bearer of bad news, as constructive critisism is best critism. Now, if you just wrote that the level was unplayable and nothing else, that would be bad, but you actually went ahead and wrote some useful stuff. as I wrote that this is my first level, It's nice to hear how to improve future levels.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 16:03:19 »
Yes, I mean too many objects/enemies. The best challenge levels use simple, clear obstacles that are as predictable as possible.

The enemies you've used on the right hand side of the second floor have a degree of randomness in their movements which is acceptable when they're placed sparingly. When you use such a volume of them in one space, though, crossing the screen is more like a game of russian roulette than a skill-based challenge; the unpredictability means that repeatedly charging through the screen blind is almost as viable a technique as attempting to dodge projectiles.

The challenge on the left-hand side of that floor suffers for being unclear to the player. Using the retractable spikes means the obstacle is impossible to see as a whole which overcomplicates it. The very same room with permanently visible spikes would still be a tricky obstacle but the threat would be apparent to the player on their first attempt.

The two problems both tie in to the same design flaw. Killing a player out-of-the-blue (whether with an obstacle that was hidden, or a random event) doesn't add to difficulty, it takes away from fairness which is just irritating for any player.

Offline rs0320

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 17:18:50 »
''Contrary to popular belief, I actually do listen to what people say they want in the next update'' -Chris Benjaminsen, Everybody Edits.
So yeah, I updated it, and fixed any problems listed above.
Partly, anyways. I also completely redid the first room to the right on the second floor.
Now, find some new stuff to complain about.
New version here: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/ThreeHeadGuy%20-%20Tower%20Of%20Trials%20v1.1.knytt.bin
Edit: Made an even newer version, see first post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:00:28 by rs0320 »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 13:44:32 »
But not to all they say, because you still haven't fixed the signs. :P I did enjoy the level, but it lacks polish.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline rs0320

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 14:47:39 »
But not to all they say, because you still haven't fixed the signs. :P I did enjoy the level, but it lacks polish.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I did fix some signs, but i forgot the ones in the start of the tunnel of verdict. I also agree that the level needs more polish, but there's only so much you can do in a small place like that. I'll try to fix as much as possible in the next update.