My level is crashing, my level is crashing!!!!

• 3 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
My level is crashing, my level is crashing!!!!
« on: April 03, 2011, 21:35:31 »
So the level I've been working on for the last 5 months or so has suddenly developed a problem.  It won't run!  All the other knytt levels I have work, but if I try to launch mine from the editor or from the knyttstories.exe, it will simply crash!  I've been looking through the ini file for anything that seems out of order, but I haven't found anything yet.  This has happened to me before as I was working on a custom object, but I was able to remove the ini code and everything worked fine.  This time, it isn't working fine.  :/  Please does anyone have any suggestions?  Anyone care to take a look at it for me if I wrap it up in a bin?

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: My level is crashing, my level is crashing!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 21:51:16 »
First, try making sure the problem is in the ini by making a backup of the ini file and replace it with one of another level. Just to make sure its the ini.

If you establish it is the ini, try building it back up section by section until one breaks the game again. Also watch for typo's, etc.

Also it might help to know what program you are using to edit the .ini file. Some programs may be set to linux format and will treat the enters differently, making the text actually without enters. You can verify this by opening the .ini file in notepad. If its all one row with [] chars in between, then you're saving in linux format.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:01 »
Before you do anything, make back ups of your back ups. The Level Editor automatically makes them, and one of them may still be good. If you mess around too much they might be written over.

Can you not test your level from the editor, or can you not open it with the editor? If it's the second option, then I doubt it's your World.ini. The original editor doesn't use it.

I had luck opening a corrupted file with Xoft's Level Composer. But, your situation sounds different.

Edit: I'm willing to take a look at it for you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:45:38 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 13:22:40 »
Thanks for the responses.  It looks like it IS the ini file.  I didn't realize the editor makes its own backups, rather I try to simply make a copy of the whole directory every now and then.  I only had one back up, I made another one, then discovered I had this problem, and it is effecting all but my old back ups.  So... looks like I've got to read through a bunch of scripting.  

*long sigh of relief*  

@ego: thanks so much for the offer.  I may take you up on it if I find I'm not making any progress, but I think I can manage from here.  

Edit:  Problem solved.  I never found the actual problem, but I copied all the new code to the old ini and it worked, so easy fix, no losses.  Thanks again!