[Easy/small/environmental] A Lovely Day for a Picnic

• 9 Replies

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
[Easy/small/environmental] A Lovely Day for a Picnic
« on: April 14, 2011, 20:42:29 »
Well, here it is. My first Knytt Story.
http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/RichardJ%20-%20A%20Lovely%20Day%20for%20a%20Picnic.knytt.bin
Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

It doesn't take very long to complete, and only contains 17 screens. I'm happy with it for a first level, and I had fun with the creative process and finding my way around the editor.
Please leave your feedback on the level, be it positive or negative!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Easy/small/environmental] A Lovely Day for a Picnic
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:16:09 »
This level is exceedingly pretty. It looks like quite a bit of effort went into the detail of each screen, yet you don't overdo it and some locations are quite stark. I really like the sense of depth you've developed in x1010y999.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 21:45:36 »
How pleasant. I want to go on a picnic now, but it's raining. Great for a first level.

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:03:37 »
Thanks. I did try my best to make each area pretty in its own way, which mean spending a long time on some screens trying out different objects or different tiles. I'm glad you like the top of the waterfall, it was an idea I had while falling asleep one night and sketched out quickly - I have to say, I was impressed with my own brain at that stage (normally I wake up to find scribbled notes like the recent "raining vibraphone", whatever that means...)
Looking at my level now, the main problem I have with it is that each area doesn't last long enough for the music to really kick in. I could of course take away the run powerup, but honestly that kind of thing just annoys me. In my next level (I've had a couple of ideas but it needs more thought) I'll have to make the areas longer, or perhaps have music that spans a couple of areas.
Thanks for playing, guys!

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 16:15:16 »
It's a good level I liked it. Will be looking forward to more levels from you.
And I think you could use only 1 song. The level is about as long as a song so it would be perfect and see how all the areas are sorta similar it wouldn't be out of place anywhere either.

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 23:45:27 »
Thanks, Salmoneous. I don't have the inspiration for making another level yet, but I'm having ideas...

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:36 »
For a first level, this is very nice! If you want some nitpicking, here it is:

I thought it was odd how some areas looked very well developed visually (e.g. the first screens, the valley - lots of little details), while others were very bland (e.g. x1006y1000 and the same general area). It's a common visual problem in KS, though - make the land too low and you get a blank sky you can't really fill, except with little flying sparks and similar creatures. Still, x1006y1000 could benefit even from a simple change of background graphics - try switching from 65 to 64, doesn't this look more natural and rich? Or 53 for an even more detailed version. Also, transition screens could use a bit more of the actual transition element - e.g. already the first screen has just a little bit of blueish tyles (bottom right), so when the player enters the next screen, the change is more surprising than it should be. To solve this, you could use more blue on this screen, or better, make another screen where the transition from grey to blue is better defined. And finally, what is atmospheric effect 20 doing in the last screens? It weirded me out a bit :)

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 22:25:23 »
Thanks for the feedback!
I'll keep in mind the land-too-low issue for my next level. I've noticed many levels get around this problem by adding 'floating platforms' or overhangs, but I couldn't figure out how to make those work with the world I was designing. The 'bleakness' you mentioned is something I struggled with. In particular I wanted the city area to feel quite bleak, as a stark contrast to the vibrancy of the valley at the end, but with the tilesets I used in the area surrounding the mountain, there wasn't much to put there in the way of decoration, and I didn't want to flood the place with objects.
Thanks for the advice about the transitions - I can see what you mean. I knew it should be gradual somehow, which is why I added (e.g.) the bottom-right tiles in the first screen, but I'll try an even more gradual approach next time.
As for ambience 20, what don't you like about it?

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 17:47:20 »
As for ambience 20, what don't you like about it?

I thought it represented some machines, some electricity or something, working in the background, whereas you put it into an area that had nothing to do with machinery or electricity.

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 19:15:19 »
Oh, that's interesting. To me, it sounded like the constant hum of insects and wildlife.