[easy, sorta-enviromental] A Small Green Cave.

• 7 Replies

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
[easy, sorta-enviromental] A Small Green Cave.
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:41 »
http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/jetio4%20-%20A%20small%20blue%20cave.knytt.bin

Note, it is supposed to be both green and blue. It's my first level, done in under 2 hours. I kinda... didn't do well on it. No screenies, sorry :(
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: [easy, sorta-enviromental] A Small Green Cave.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:14 »
I don't know what you expect. The level is not good in any way and I don't know if you did it bad on purpose. Because stuff like the wallswim screen with a big lol seems like.. you're not even trying.

It's one thing to do levels like these to get around the editor and learn it but to release it on the forum. it's not cool. If you want to improve I tell you just take the time with the level and learn from other levels.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 16:19:07 »
Fair enough. I did rush a bit on this level, and it was made in the 2-hour time limit for a competition I didn't even enter.

I'm going to try my best to make it better. Remove the wallswim screen for sure (add maybe a hill), make it longer, have the part of the cave leading up to the doublejump but have the umbrella (really just one jump) longer, add music, etc. Any other ideas to improve on this horrible level?
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:10 »
Fair enough. I did rush a bit on this level, and it was made in the 2-hour time limit for a competition I didn't even enter.

I'm going to try my best to make it better. Remove the wallswim screen for sure (add maybe a hill), make it longer, have the part of the cave leading up to the doublejump but have the umbrella (really just one jump) longer, add music, etc. Any other ideas to improve on this horrible level?

It doesn't need to be longer, besides fixing the bugs you should focus on making the level more appealing. There is nothing interesting about it. No environment, no life, no nothing.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 22:06:57 »
It's much better, certainly. I think the level could really benefit from having more going on in the background - not necessarily the 'close background' (like the sunflowers and cats) but the 'far background' - hills or trees or something. Just so the player isn't staring at a gradient, basically.
Also, you might want to think about adding a story or some kind of motivation... at the minute there's no real reason to enter the cave other than /because it's there/.

As for more specific level design - it seems pointless to have just one jump that requires the umbrella, and to have the umbrella sitting right there in front of it. Why not just make the jump smaller? A very small error in the screen below that (i.e. the bottom of the waterfall) is on the right edge of the waterfall there's a tile that doesn't match up - possibly on a different layer? I'm not sure. And what's the deal with the shifts out in the plains?

I feel bad for criticising you so much, but you said you wanted to make the level better. Oh, I did like the use of the 'unfinished level' tileset as cave paintings or whatever, that's a clever idea.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:26 »
As for more specific level design - it seems pointless to have just one jump that requires the umbrella, and to have the umbrella sitting right there in front of it. Why not just make the jump smaller?
Meh.

And what's the deal with the shifts out in the plains?
The random shift is there because it used to be a required Wallswim. I didn't know how else to make the player go one screen straight up with only run.

ust so the player isn't staring at a gradient, basically.
Also, you might want to think about adding a story or some kind of motivation... at the minute there's no real reason to enter the cave other than /because it's there/.
I'll see what I can do about the background, thanks for the idea! Same thing goes for the story!

Oh, I did like the use of the 'unfinished level' tileset as cave paintings or whatever, that's a clever idea.
Yeah, I used those as cave paintings. I was afraid that no one would get it :\.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:33:14 »
Place object 17 and then set up Warp Right in screen options.

I think I liked the first version more, except for the cave. Here's the problem with this: there's no story, no challenge, no good gfx or music and no exploration. If would be better if there was some kind of catch in some of these areas.