[Normal/Hard], [Misc] - Oriante

• 11 Replies

Offline oskop

• View Profile
[Normal/Hard], [Misc] - Oriante
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:16:44 »
Oriante [download] is a small level about Juni leaving the strange place she's in. You can play by day or by night and you learn as much about the world as you want.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the level preview thread (which has some more info on it) and to Widget and Headgrinder in particular for testing it and for all their feedback.

I hope you enjoy it! I enjoied making it. And I appreciate feedback.

Screens:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 13:06:36 by oskop »

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
Re: [Normal/Hard], [Misc] - Oriante
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:33 »
fix the download link

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 13:06:57 »
Fixed.

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 13:55:23 »
I thought it was quite nice. I like the whole aesthetic with the pipes and the blue and the red, especially when you walk behind the pipes (which I could never figure out how to do myself :shifty:). At first I thought the whole spike area would be really annoying, but it turned out to be just hard enough.

Good level. I would have liked for it to be longer.  :)

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:44:55 »
Thanks saba! The pipes go in the foreground by placing them as a custom object on layer 6 or 7; I slightly fudged it (they're a pixel or two more to the right than they should be), but I learnt the process in a thread around here, I'll post it here if I find it later. I'd like it to be longer too, but I realized that it'd take more time and concentration than I have right now. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:49 »
So far I'm a bit frustrated by the difficulty (maybe I'm just not in the mood for a hard challenge level, though) and I haven't completed the level yet. Aesthetically, everything is wonderful. I particularly liked the mysterious world outside - the whole complex and the way the sky is done, the ships and that you can enter them, the strange observation point, etc. I really like all of that and will return to the level to find out more about the world :)

However, I thought there were quite a few gameplay problems. I guess some of them were pointed out by the beta-testers?
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

All that aside, it's very nice to see such an interesting and visually original level released; I hope you return to it to expand and/or make another level. This one shows a lot of promise, and I haven't even seen half of it yet...  :crazy:

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 15:08:10 »
As I mentioned in passing, I think the lion's share of the difficulty in this level is down to the placement of save points. There are slightly too few and those that are in aren't quite in the right place. I did have a go at moving them myself but I'm useless with the editor  :P

I was gradually playing through in 5min bursts but then NightSky came along...  :oops:
I'll have to find some time to finish this 'cause I really enjoyed exploring it, when I wasn't getting killed too often.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 18:08:03 »
This level exhibits excellent design and art direction. I am certainly impressed, oskop! The plot is also mysterious and intriguing. I am curious about two things, if anyone knows the answers my questions.

Spoiler: Question 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Question 2 (click to show/hide)

Also, in response to yohji:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 18:10:41 by Pie_Sniper »

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 00:07:34 »
I like this level alot, love the colours that were used.  :^^: I also like the sleeping thing and how that played part.

Offline WreckSauce

• I'm smilin', cos yo be burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 02:05:35 »
I really like this level.
It was really nice and pretty, wasn't too difficult really.
I liked the night and day thing also, that was pretty cool and added a nice effect to the game.
(:

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 20:31:44 »
Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone! Really appreciated.

piesniper, re: your questions,
Spoiler: Question 1 (click to show/hide)

and

Spoiler: Question 2 (click to show/hide)

yohji, thanks for the positive feedback on the looks; it started as an environmental and throughout I really wanted it to look good. It ended up as one long-winded love letter to the poison forest tileset(s)...

Again, thanks for the comments! And for pointing out faults I either hadn't figured out or can't solve still... Thanks.

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 04:14:20 »
I know it's been quite a while, but I thought my feedback could be welcomed. Today, I realized I had not played this level before. I think it was a nice challenge level, perhaps not perfectly balanced, but enjoyable still. What I enjoyed the most was the amount of secret elements... for example, on the 1st run I didn't find the eye, detector, etc. Then I discovered the 2 side-islands, the father and the child. You used the tilesets very well too. If you make another similar type level, I'd recommend making it a bit less challenging, and patching-up the void-screens (I found 5 or 6, noticeably when you keep flying with the umbrella after either island). Maybe you won't be making any more level on here, but I wanted to give you one more opinion. I'd like to see more work from you, in the future!