Stereotype and NPC Contribution!

• 28 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Stereotype and NPC Contribution!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:34 »
I never said she was good actually. She's just an optimist. Good vs. Evil is something I try to avoid.

(Also, what is this "good-evil" axis you speak of, with "alignments" such as "chaotic"?  I would like to hear more about that.)
Haha, don't you know your Dungeons and Dragons?

Actually, I've never played D&D, but I've seen the same alignment system in several computer game RPG's. I enjoy applying it to real people, just like I occasionally will talk about stats, items, spells, and status effects to describe irl things.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:19:03 by Nifflas »

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 13:45:43 »
I have a friend who is very optimistic, cheerful and friendly, but also quite childish and impulsive, and sometimes downright crazy (she once spray-painted her sister purple because she stole her chocolate). She is very likeable for it, perhaps you could make the optimistic fairy like that?

Maybe she could occasionally get distracted from the problem at hand, and generally not take things too seriously. For example, the optimistic fairy might be halfway through her answer to a problem when she realises you are standing in front of a cake shop, and instantly goes off on a tangent "I think we should let the p-SHINY! WANT! GET NAO!!!!11!1!!111!!!!eleven!!!". Having random outbursts like this every so often, on some of the more minor problems, could build character. She should probably be restrained on the larger, more important problems though.

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 15:34:16 »
Yeah, that's a very good idea! She'll be clever and intelligent, but also having a childish impulsive crazy side will probably add a lot! I'll definitely try to expand on that side of her.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 15:38:19 by Nifflas »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 15:38:01 »
Do you think you could give us an example snippet of some of the responses you have for the fairies? That would make it easier to judge what might be best to suggest.

As for what I can suggest now, I seem to recall you saying that the fairies were like facets of the main character. If that's the case, it might make sense for them to have some similarities. If you can figure out what it is about the pessimist that makes her so appealing, maybe you can mirror it onto the optimist.

And just a note: Our experiences color our perception of things. It may be that the optimist is perfectly alright as is, but you're seeing the pessimist as much better because you're imagining her saying things the way your friend does and are seeing hidden layers of meaning because of that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 15:46:45 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 15:40:53 »
I might post something soon, but the current dialog contains heavy spoilers. I think I have a pretty good idea of how I can make the optimist more likeable already!

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 00:30:06 »
(Also, what is this "good-evil" axis you speak of, with "alignments" such as "chaotic"?  I would like to hear more about that.)
Haha, don't you know your Dungeons and Dragons?

Actually, I've never played D&D, but I've seen the same alignment system in several computer game RPG's. I enjoy applying it to real people, just like I occasionally will talk about stats, items, spells, and status effects to describe irl things.
:oops: Now I feel stupid.  Not only have I not played D&D but I've never been able to get into that style of CRPG.  Those terms sounded like they might be something more esoteric, from the Middle Ages or something.  I should have known it was just a D&D thing.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 00:05:48 »
speaking of optimists... :P2

oh, I had an idea last night, and anybody knows the craziest ideas come when you're trying to fall asleep. right? :P
anyways, I'm not completely certain about how to execute it, but what about some "political" discussion/two opposing standpoints? like perhaps something like
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

fairly random, I admit. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:42:29 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 16:27:04 »
Regarding the game editor, the current Kyntt Stories editor only accepts ASCII characters in the text boxes. If I save UTF-8 characters (ie Chinese) they come through as little squares. It would be cool to have a multi-lingual version if it isn't too much work. I teach in Taiwan and my students like Knytt but can't make Chinese stories.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 17:14:05 »
Sorry, MMF2 doesn't support Unicode and hardware acceleration at the same time, so I can not add it.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 20:23:15 »
fairly random, I admit. :)
don't you mean, fairy random? *snort*

English must be your second language, Nifflas?  I think this is hard enough already without me even trying to imagine tackling it in Swedish.  More specifically, I can understand your predicament with the optimist - I'm highly cynical myself and thus find it far easier to conjure up possible dialogue for the pessimist than for the other one.  However I'm glad you have a solution to avoid making the optimistic fairy sappy, clichéd and predictable - so tbh I have nothing to offer!  As back seat astronaut pointed out, the only way some of us can help is by giving us potential examples to experiment with - but you mustn't spoil the game...

Oh btw, if you manage to nail this dialogue (in such a way that I think you very well might) and formulate a complex, unbiased and illuminatory game... The critical indie community should (in theory) proclaim it your best game to date and bung it right up there with Braid & Limbo!!1

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:33 »
Haha, I don't know if it can get that popular. I think the dialogue may be very good... That is, if I get enough help from other people who'll look at it and give input or change things.

I'd really like to work with a writer or something.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:35:46 »
Though I'm not a published or "professional" writer, I have been privately pursuing writing for a long time, and have always scored very highly on writing tests and been told that I write well.  I would be happy to give input and feedback on the writing of the game.  Maybe that could be part of beta testing.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:40 »
Yeah, I'll try to make the beta testing open and last for quite a while.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 19:35:28 »
I used to write commissioned art critiques for a friend and have been told I possess certain journalistic qualities (i.e. have the uncanny ability to bullshit my way through life using the unparalleled power of the English language), so i'd be happy to help out with some of the dialogue as well.

I think the only possible problem you might have is a classic case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth' - when script is altered by different people, the original meaning - particularly if it's subtle - may get lost (sort of like Chinese whispers) considering the delicacy of language.  Best to get one professional writer to do it all for you!  Not that I'm on personal speaking terms with any, sorry...