Petals of a Dying Flower [KS+][Challenge/Scenic/Medium]

• 41 Replies

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Scenic/Small(ish)] Petals of a Dying Flower
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 12:43:34 »
Well to be fair, I'm conducting an interview at the same time and I'm trying to find things in the level to talk about. I'm not always this bad :p

I'm happy you enjoyed it anyway :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 23:30:17 »
For future reference, I'm English and (currently) 26. My accent tends to go all posh when I'm being recorded.  :/
And as it happens, I'm mispronouncing 'Eurydice'. But doing it right is pretty hard... (remember to click the 'listen' button on the Greek side.)

I don't dislike all secrets. Just when a game heavily relies on them I have no patience for it. If I can enjoy and finish a game without searching every corner I'm happy.
And respect to Bulba for carrying a conversation while playing the level! Conversing and playing aren't easy together! (Just don't watch his videos of himself playing 'Ευρυδίκη'.) I do genuinely regret making certain areas of my levels as difficult as they are; it's not just because I'm watching him struggle at times.

I'd kind of like to commentate more of my levels, though I fear it may be dull watching me playing through a level I made while talking about it. It works better as a conversation or a sort of interview.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 23:38:08 by Talps »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:00 »
I'd kind of like to commentate more of my levels, though I fear it may be dull watching me playing through a level I made while talking about it. It works better as a conversation or a sort of interview.
I dunno, I always find developer commentary so exciting!  I'll definitely have a commentated playthrough of Deep Freeze when it's finally completed. :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:36:52 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 06:28:36 »
I watched the commentary video recently and would also like to see more commentary content either by yourself or with another player (I think Bulbapack asks some good questions). It really gives us the underlying process that goes into making a Knytt Stories level and we do not seem to get many videos like this.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 03:31:30 »
I watched the commentary video recently and would also like to see more commentary content either by yourself or with another player (I think Bulbapack asks some good questions). It really gives us the underlying process that goes into making a Knytt Stories level and we do not seem to get many videos like this.

I definitely agree with this. More commentary on levels would be cool, regardless of whose level it is. Also, I watched it again. X)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 20:47:59 »
Really late to the party, but I wanted to give props to Talps for making this level (love the atmosphere the dark/minimalist tileset and sprites manage to convey!) and to both bulbapuck and Talps for making the LP/commentary video. It was a very interesting watch, hope you do another one of these videos in the future :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 23:08:00 »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

I've been out of level-design mode since the summer but I will get back to Dragon Myth at some point! I've managed to shed a few responsibilities recently and getting more used to my new job; I've been feeling more creative recently so maybe I'll find a way to funnel that into KS.

Since Bulba has already played 'Dragon Myth' I was thinking of suggesting to him that I join him on his eventual Lets Play of that. Also, it'd be fun to do 'The Greying Tower'; I reckon I could find stuff to say about that.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2016, 09:37:47 »
Also, it'd be fun to do 'The Greying Tower'; I reckon I could find stuff to say about that.
Yes! The Greying Tower was one of my favorites of yours, challenge-wise, I'd love to hear you talk about it.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Talps

• View Profile
Re: Petals of a Dying Flower 1.1 [KS+][Challenge/Scenic/Medium]
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2020, 15:33:11 »
I have updated this level!

I've been meaning to do this for a while, mainly to make some graphical changes, and also to remove some really irritating pop-out spikes.

Full changelog below.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Petals of a Dying Flower [KS+][Challenge/Scenic/Medium]
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2020, 11:37:24 »
I had to play this update because of Loaf.
Spoiler: "about Loaf" (click to show/hide)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2020, 13:23:29 »
This level is as great as ever. The changes seem for the best, though I'm relying on my memories of this level from several years ago for that assessment.

In my search for secrets I think I found a bug:

Spoiler: Confused ramblings (click to show/hide)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2020, 15:49:11 »
Basically the changes were largely implemented in direct response to the feedback I'd received, like the final area being too bland and the third feeling like you'd made it outside. And all the trouble my stolen music was causing for YouTubers.

Spoiler: Ego (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sergio (click to show/hide)