Petals of a Dying Flower [KS+][Challenge/Scenic/Medium]

• 41 Replies

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Scenic/Small(ish)] Petals of a Dying Flower
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:14:43 »
Played it again. As good as when I tested it :) I didn't see a "forest"... depends of how you see things, but to me you're always in caves,
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:52:13 »
Excellent level. I can't wait for your next!
I think that every one else can, though. :D (I mean that it's not going to be as good as your other ones :\)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 23:22:57 »
Dude, I think what we're making is really good; it looks great and should be very fun.

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 00:42:36 »
Last note on that level in this topic: whenever you feel it's ready, feel free to post it into the preview level section without asking me! (Shoulda been in a PM, but I wanted to make people long for it ;D)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 01:08:55 »
I'll put one together when you finish the river.

In other news, thanks everyone for the feedback. I personally would not have been happy to end it at the garden area; for me it wouldn't have been satisfying. However, I agree that I should have put a bit more into the tilesets for the final area; I was low on ideas and motivation was slowly draining away, but it would have been good if I'd done something new for the area. Maybe given it a Victorian Industry feel, to match the wheels. i say it about all my levels, but maybe I'll go back and redo it some time (unless people think it was good as it was).

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 18:46:00 »
I just finished playing this, and I know it's a month-long bump, but this is still on the first page, and hey, it's never too late for positive feedback. I liked the level a lot; it's definitely one of my favorites. It has that dark edge that I always love in KS levels, like you're seeing things through a lens that's somehow changing the image before it gets to you.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:39 »
I JUST got finished playing, "Petals of a Dying Flower."

..........WOW.

I mean really, dude.

You make such profound games on a metaphysical, mood level.

and so intricately and well-designed. I mean...wow!

It's like the difference between a professional designer and some hobbyist who JUST discovered knytt playing some of your games and some of the others I've played since discovering knytt stories for myself.

You and egomassive and a few others are like light years ahead when it comes to sound and fun game design. And you always have a story/theme/philosophy behind your episodes. I found myself really moved by this particular level. I don't know.  Maybe it was seeing this character I'm so familiar with - Juni silhouetted the whole time - in this dark cavern fighting her way to the top/light.

Great job.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 10:47:08 »
 <3

Thank you! Your really complimentary replies are really wonderful to here!

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 02:35:11 »
I have played for about 5 minutes or so, and I just realized in that short time... how bad I am at KS.  XD But, still, In those 5 minutes, I realized that this map was beautifulC) And by the way, the map is not really small, I'd say it's medium in size. 
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 15:01:35 »
So I don't usually post my LP's anywhere, I'm bad at self-promotion. But this one I felt like I should share.
I've been doing what I call the "Talps-a-thon" for a bit where I play through a bunch of Talps' levels. Early on I asked Talps if he wanted to join in on a level to talk about it, and he chose this one.

It was a very interesting and fun experiment and I think it turned out rather well!

You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/KMJsiEq57bU

Thanks for joining me Talps :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 21:40:00 »
T'was my pleasure. Other topics of conversation in the video include some thoughts about 'Dragon Myth'.

Just watched the video and was surprised to find two of the music tracks have been changed in the version Bulba s playing. I wonder who did that and how Bulba got an edited version.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 21:58:25 »
Talked to Talps via PM but I figured I could explain it here as well.

Just watched the video and was surprised to find two of the music tracks have been changed in the version Bulba s playing. I wonder who did that and how Bulba got an edited version.

I myself am to blaim for this. I downloaded this level a few months back and saw this post:

playthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CLoXGIBX_4

EDIT: i'd be glad if you made a version of the level without copyrighted music, right now that video is blocked in germany

typo: the correct link for "October Air" is http://ccmixter.org/files/nhomas/17056

if i'll find enough other good new levels and get around to write another TIGSource post about KS levels, i'll include this one

I figured I might have to change the music and went ahead and did it as an experiment to see how easy it would be. I was going to switch it back before the LP but I later forgot about it. I at least tried to match the mood when I did it, so hopefully it doesn't take too much away from it.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 02:02:32 »
Already posted a comment on the video but this was really cool to watch. I have to say this is probably my second favourite Talps level (after IDoTS of course). So it was really great to hear some of Talps' comments. I definitely recommend checking it out, everyone.

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 00:28:57 »
...Early on I asked Talps if he wanted to join in on a level to talk about it, and he chose this one.

It was a very interesting and fun experiment and I think it turned out rather well!

Watching video now - interesting to see and hear one of the great KS levels narrated by one of the great level makers and the one who actually made it! Cool. and turns out Talps has a british accent...perfect.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 04:35:50 »
So I don't usually post my LP's anywhere, I'm bad at self-promotion. But this one I felt like I should share.
I've been doing what I call the "Talps-a-thon" for a bit where I play through a bunch of Talps' levels. Early on I asked Talps if he wanted to join in on a level to talk about it, and he chose this one.

I have played this level before, but I am watching this for the first time now. Comments as I watch.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)