• 119 Replies

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
Re: Night Game announcement!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:55 »
Hey, would it be possible to download it onto an SD card and pop it into the Wii? Because I really don't like screwing around with Nintendo Wi-Fi.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:42:31 »
Well, I was going to buy it on the Wii anyway. :)

Hey, would it be possible to download it onto an SD card and pop it into the Wii? Because I really don't like screwing around with Nintendo Wi-Fi.
Do you mean, like, downloading off the computer? If so, no, you can't buy WiiWare games on a computer.

Also, that's awesome Ponto!  :whoa:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:44:23 by TheRealTJ »

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 01:45:10 »
Ah, yeah, I realised that just a bit ago. Oh well.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 01:56:57 »
Is it possible to get Night Game if I don't have internet on my Wii?
I have internet, and a Wii, but I sadly do not have money for a Wireless Router or the ethernet adapter...
O the irony.
Can't you do that at a friend's house or something?

The only friend I know that has Console/Internet connection has an Xbox 360. :(

But, James, I might take you up on your offer.
:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:12:47 by JC Grim the 'crete reaper »
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 03:04:10 »
[quote author=JC Grim the 'crete reaper link=topic=47.msg148#msg148 date=1235775290

Edit: Well, it seems they have discontinued it for a while.  I'd send you mine seeing as how I don't use it now that I have Wi-Fi.  If you are interested, PM me and we'll talk about it!

well, you can always get one off ebay... ;)

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 05:11:39 »
This is kinda sad, seeing as I probably won't spend $500 on getting a Wii...

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:14 »
This is kinda sad, seeing as I probably won't spend $500 on getting a Wii...

You can usually find a Wii for around two hundred dollars.  :huh:

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:47 »
People keep saying that this is a World Of Goo clone lol XD :ring:

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 06:12:57 »
no No NO NOOOOOOOOO!!!! *starts bawling*
Lurk more.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:25 »
I am curious, why did they want it Wii exclusive? Won't that just limit potential profit?

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 08:08:09 »
^ Maybe because at Nicalis they don't have a way to safely sell their games online yet (like on Steam); they could also be thinking about making a timed exclusive, in order to get extra WiiWare sales due to exclusivity and possibly make a PC version with new features to get people to double-dip.
Fortunately I have easy access to a Wi-Fi enabled Wii, so I won't miss out somehow.

Oh, hi everyone!
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:31 »
^ Maybe because at Nicalis they don't have a way to safely sell their games online yet (like on Steam); they could also be thinking about making a timed exclusive, in order to get extra WiiWare sales due to exclusivity and possibly make a PC version with new features to get people to double-dip.

...one of the best-selling WiiWare titles ever, World of Goo, is available not only on Wii but also PC, Mac, and Linux, and as far as I know, there are no major differences between versions. This wide availability cannot be hurting sales. Safely selling a PC game over the internet is much less complex (and probably less expensive) than getting something sold on WiiWare (and Nintendo has very strict control over what happens on WiiWare). Neither Nifflas's comments in #niffchat or the announcement of exclusivity implied that there would ever be a PC version- though that doesn't mean there won't be one (although it seems unlikely at the moment).

This decision is just totally bizarre. Indie gaming tends to be pretty PC-centric, and to not release an indie game on PC is to cut off much of a large potential audience. A delayed PC release with new features, after many people had already bought the Wii version, would smack of greed and would only further alienate the indie gaming community. I cannot imagine any sensible reason for the lack of a PC release, or for the late announcement of this decision.
good bye

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 10:36:58 »
This is interesting.  Any of us who also dream of one day living off our creative work can certainly sympathize with Nifflas' choice.  On the other hand, I wonder if he could have been more assertive with Nicalis and changed their mind about this.  After all, Nifflas has a loyal following on the PC (anyone here posting from a Wii?) and who is more likely to buy Night Game, his existing fans, or console owners who have never heard of him and think Night Game is a World of Goo clone?  I appreciate so much the games that Nifflas has given us for free that I absolutely would have paid for a PC version of Night Game.  But I don't have a Wii, and I'm not going to have a Wii.  So Nifflas lost the sale he would have gotten from me, and any other of his fans who don't have a Wii.  Will the sales he gained from being a Wii exclusive make up for the sales he lost to his fans on the PC who would have paid for his game, but now can't?  Maybe.  And if this actually moves him toward being able to live off his game work, I support his choice and sincerely wish him the best.  But I also seriously wonder if it was in fact the right choice.  Abandoning a loyal fan base for a potential (not guaranteed) bigger fan base is an interesting risk to take.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:36 »
If there were both a Wii and a PC version, then the loyal fan base would stay loyal and the potential bigger fan base may become an actual fan base instead of the potential for one. 9_9 (I doubt most WiiWare consumers actually care about exclusivity.)

Also, another (relatively) high-selling WiiWare game, Tiki Towers, appears to be a straight-out WoG clone, rather than simply looking like one. :S
good bye

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:59 »
Now it's announced that Night Game will be Wii exclusive, so there will not be a PC release of it.

It's unfortunate news, but not completely unexpected.

In an ideal world, talented people like you could have a bright future in the world of commercial games, without excluding the fans from enjoying those games. But the world is far from ideal, and choices have to be made.

I'm glad that you are compensated for your hard work, Nifflas, and this Wii title will surely open the road for even bigger projects later on.

At the same time, I feel bad for your fans, many of whom are now either forced to become criminals in order to enjoy Night Game on the only platform they have, or simply have to give up on the game they cheered on and watched unfolding almost from conception.

However, looking at the larger picture, NG is only a game. What I think is more important on the long term is that going commercial should not change your values, it shouldn't make you a different person. It may sound strange now, but I've seen it happen elsewhere in less than a year. That was a signal for me to move on.