Putting Juni behind scenery blocks

• 11 Replies
Putting Juni behind scenery blocks
« on: March 22, 2011, 23:35:46 »
I've noticed that in the original Knytt, you could go "behind" scenery blocks into secret areas, with only your "glow" visible on the screen. However, in the knytt stories, I've yet to see a secret area where you go behind the scenery blocks instead of in front.

That kinda sounded confusing, but does that make sense? I'd like to make a secret area in my game where Juni goes behind the scenery blocks instead of in front of them. Is there any way to do that?

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: Putting Juni behind scenery blocks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 23:59:01 »
Yes.
Layers 6 and 7 are the only layers drawn in front of Juni, so you need to create custom objects. I don't know if the glow would be visible though.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 00:11:25 »
You can, using custom objects of the tiles you want to put in front. However, this method can be hard and you can't code it with the Level manger.
When you get the Custom Objects, you just put them in the layer 6/7 like bulbapuck says.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 00:44:08 »
actually, scenery that's supposed to appear on a layer in front of Juni is one of the easiest applications for custom objects: instead of using a tile from the tileset, you make a .png of the tile and use it as a custom object. it gets a little more complicated when you have a lot of different tiles that you want to appear in the front, but since scenery (like walls like you probably mean) doesn't have to move, it doesn't really need special animation codes.

you can achieve the glow by giving the detector powerup and using the "secret"-glow (check the object compendium (for that check the [search])), which you put where the secret passage is.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:13:26 »
Here are some examples of what you want in action:

Sputzna by Farik It's only a demo, but it does exactly what you want to do. Look in the green underground area around x1044y1010.

Realms of the Pharaoh by Ozz It's a more recent example that puts semi-transparent tiles in front of Juni. It also makes use of the Ghost Eye power.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 18:01:34 »
Thanks guys! I'll try some of your ideas.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:34:38 »
I have had an issue with that. I made the Two tiles i needed images in the object bank, And it worked in the editor. However, when i then tested my level the two blocks Did not Even Appear in the level. is there anyway to fix this?
i do declare that it is Quite frustrating.
I have pitchers if you wish to see them.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:47:13 »
you must put the object in the custom objects bank and make an animation for it (if you don't want it to animate, just use one picture)...

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:03:43 »
Why do i Need to animate? they are Stationary tiles. the only reason i did that was to create a secret area.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:43 »
The way you wrote it, it seems you put the tiles in the in the Data folder, which only replaces the icons you see in the Editor. For Custom Objects in general you need to put the new objects in the "Custom Object" subfolder inside the folder of your level and edit the World.ini file to use them.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:08 »
okay, so i create the sub-folder and then just put the custom objects in that folder, correct?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:37 »
Correct. Then, open the World.ini file in your level's folder and add the proper code. It will look something like:
Code: [Select]
[Custom Object 1]
Image=CoverTileA.png
Tile Height=24
Tile Width=24
Init AnimTo=0
Init AnimRepeat=1

[Custom Object 2]
Image=CoverTileB.png
Tile Height=24
Tile Width=24
Init AnimTo=0
Init AnimRepeat=1
Take a look at Siam Jam's Custom Object Manual for a comprehensive explanation.