[Very hard/Hard] Above and below the waterfall [UPDATE 2.1.0!]

• 9 Replies

Offline rh

• View Profile
Hello everyone.

I don't know if this is relevant anymore, but I am moving to a new server and our level "Above and below the waterfall" is moving with it.

It can now be downloaded from http://knyttstories.hoelzl.fr.

Have fun!
rh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 19:58:42 by rh »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Very hard/Hard] Above and below the waterfall
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 23:12:12 »
Well actually, I was worried that your level might disappear. There was no discernible recent activity on your website, so I recommended it for upload to the archive. It's on Knyttlevels.com now. I apologize if this is against your wishes.

As a community it was decided that it's probably OK to load old hard-to-find levels onto the archive since they were publicly released and free*. Above and Below the Waterfall recently appeared in a list of recommended levels, and that led to its archival.

*I can't find the relevant topic.

Offline rh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:41:34 »
There was no discernible recent activity on your website, so I recommended it for upload to the archive.

I am not sure what you mean by that. My last update on http://knyttstories.zwobot.com/ was in December. How often do you expect updates on a three year old level?

I apologize if this is against your wishes.

Not exactly, but I must say that I think it is very bad form that you did not even ask me. You could have either left a comment on the website or sent me an email (the address would have been very easy to figure out).

I don't really mind being on the level archive except that the level archive does not give credit to the creators of levels. Okay it says "RH" but there is no link to my website or anything else to link the level to J. Schmidt and myself. Also there is no description. It would make a lot more sense to replace the entry in the archive with a link to my website.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 22:06:56 »
There was no discernible recent activity on your website, so I recommended it for upload to the archive.

I am not sure what you mean by that. ...

I looked around the website and didn't see anything with a recent date. Most of the content is undated so it's hard to tell. I spent a long time looking for the levels in that list, figuring out which ones were still available and which weren't. A few had been on personal web spaces like yours, but those spaces were defunct. You're right I should have taken a little more time, and attempted to contact you before making my recommendation. Again, I'm sorry.

The archive has many shortcomings I agree. It's being overhauled, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I will contact the Knyttlevels administrators and see about having it removed. Also, I'll change the links in my posts on the top levels thread to point to your new site.

... I don't know if this is relevant anymore...

It certainly is.

Edit: I looked again, now I see that the comments are in chronological order. I don't know how I missed that. There definitely has been recent activity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 22:17:41 by egomassive »

Offline rh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 22:11:42 »
I will contact the Knyttlevels administrators and see about having it removed. Also, I'll change the links in my posts on the top levels thread to point to your new site.

I you want you could also ask them to replace the "RH" with a link to my website. If they edit the database manually anyway they should be able to do that.

Offline powderj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:47:09 »
If I could interrupt your little moment of butthurt, you might want to revisit your game and fix the "hard" ending.  The shift while arriving at the Excorcist's house results in a void.  Otherwise, fun, tricky level.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:51 »
If I could interrupt your little moment of butthurt[...]

I don't think there's any need to be rude.

Offline rh

• View Profile
Re: [Very hard/Hard] Above and below the waterfall [UPDATE 2.0.7!]
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:28 »
you might want to revisit your game and fix the "hard" ending.  The shift while arriving at the Excorcist's house results in a void.

Wow this is weird. I have had several reports about this and have NEVER been able to reproduce the problems here. Just tried again, and there it was: Void screen. But even better: I kept trying and actually, after a while, it suddently worked again.

I was completely stumped, and just by coincidence did I see something in the World.ini: For some reason (maybe a bug in the Knytt Stories Manager?!) there were TWO sections in the ini file for that one screen. One with a correct shift, one with a wrong shift.

No idea where that came from, or why the game sometimes chose to follow the instructions in the first and sometimes in the other section, but it should be fixed now.

Have fun!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 23:35:17 »
The new additions are cool. This was already a great level, now even better.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline rh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 19:58:24 »
Hello everyone,

I have revisited the level and fixed the yellow key bug that a few people have reported.

To get that bug it was necessary to do a strange serious of actions, so I hope that it has not plagued too many people. Still, such a dead end should not even be possible, so it was clearly my fault.

It should be corrected now.

Have fun and tell me if you find any more problems!