Random influx of guests?

• 3 Replies

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Random influx of guests?
« on: March 11, 2011, 15:14:10 »
Why was there a random big amount of guests earlier today? I don't mean 5, or 6, I mean 17-27. Seriously.

See attachments, cause no one else was online to witness it.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Random influx of guests?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 16:16:48 »
it happens. sometimes someone posted a link to here and then a bunch of guests come over. although that's usually that most of them then look at the same page.
also, I think some search engine spiders are listed as guests.
anyways, nothing actually major. there've been even more guests at the same time in the past, and usually nothing bad happens as a result. ;)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 17:27:05 »
These are search-engine spiders that are unknown to the system. Since they rapidly access many topics at the same time, one spider can easily be seen as 20 guests. This is a problem with SMF that cannot be fixed easily.

There is support for the majority of spiders, but adding all of them is nearly impossible.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 18:23:04 »
Since they rapidly access many topics at the same time, one spider can easily be seen as 20 guests.
Which would explain why most of them view different topics, and why a lot are at the same time.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~