Character name

• 59 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Character name
« on: March 08, 2011, 19:55:51 »
Still need a good name for the main character. It was originally meant to be Mi but I scratched that when I realized it's too similar to what Nintendo calls the Wii avatars. It's a bit of a shame though, 'cause I imagine her having a very short name and that one sticked.

As with any game character I do, I do not imagine a standard English name. The game industry have too many of those already, and characters (apart from enemies) from other places than America and Europe are heavily underrepresented.

Figuring out a name is always a project. I think I found Saira at this site. They have a neat random name generator too, it's at least good for laughs. I selected "Feminine" and checked "Rapper" and "Hippy" and got "Queen Playa Lovedream" and "Puff Freak VanillaKilla Solardropper" (she's not a rapper btw, I picked that option for fun) . I have to put a character somewhere in the game with the second name just for the randomness of it, it's gonna be a dolphin crystal new age hip-hop dj girl. I got some nice names when combining "Chinese" with "Transformer" too, Shui Hot Rod Xun type of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:16:46 by Nifflas »

Re: Character name
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 21:18:13 »
Looks like an Anatu to me.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 21:49:28 »
Some which I've invited: Alessye, Krillam, Suanna, Åmmanie, Hilgerbura
Ooh and some short: Ulj, Hüt, Ünna, Åéna, Myrgn

This might look very silly XD
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:17 »
Nairi (Armenian) country of rivers
Maina (Indian) bird
Meena (Indian) blue gem stone
Megha (Indian) cloud
Isra (Arabic) travel at night

I like Megha best, even though I'm not sure how it's pronounced.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:21:11 »
For some reason, when I look at the character, the first name that pops up is:

Sue
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:46 »
I like Ava, as far as I remember it means "water" in old german or something. and I know a girl of that name who's kind of a hippy and has lovely curls and sometimes dreadlocks.....
Aya sounds nice too and is also short. :P

and my boyfriend's suggesting Tiana and Tsé. weeeeeeee
X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 14:10:37 »
and my boyfriend's suggesting Tiana and Tsé. weeeeeeee
X)

Maybe just Tia. I'm sure I've come across that one somewhere.. at some point  :^^:

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 14:40:48 »
Isla is a feminine Scottish given name, a variant of the name Islay, which is the name of an island off the west coast of Scotland. It is also the name of two Scottish rivers.
Idk, just a random name.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 14:48:09 »
I made a program once that can generate random words that are always pronounceable, based on criteria such as exclude hard/soft sounds, number of syllables etc. (once, it generated "ewarhgai", showing how much my programs care for their creator) I'll see if I can salvage it from my old HDD, or else remake it.

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 17:21:36 »
I like Ava and Nairi.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 17:27:13 »
I wonder how or if it changes how the player percieves the character if (s)he names her when starting a game.

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 18:28:51 »
Wellllll.....
I normally name characters after myself. If I'm naming a female, I'd be in trouble.
How about you have one or more preset names, and those appear if you choose a "no idea for name" button or something. Like Mother 3, and possibly earlier games in the series.

Edit: Just used that random name generater, got "Pia". Thought it sounded decent for her.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 18:42:16 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 20:46:05 »
Default names are useful for talking about a game. Without one we'd have to call her the Player Character from KnyttWaDF. Also, I perceive nameless playable characters as soulless. With a name I can imagine she has a history reaching back to her birth, rather than the moment I started playing.

I prefer using the developer's carefully chosen name since I don't know what the character is like when a game starts. I also prefer when the name is unusual so I don't associate the character with people I know, and then my perception of the character isn't altered by anything outside of the game.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 21:49:55 »
I agree with Egomassive. Everyone talks about Juni and everyone knows this is Knytt Stories. You talk about Barn, and you talk about Knytt. If the name isn't decided, you automatically have to revert to the game itself, making it less personal towards the game.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 21:54:18 »
Ava sounds good to me.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.