Survival Horror Demo [puzzle/small/easy]

• 7 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Survival Horror Demo [puzzle/small/easy]
« on: January 29, 2013, 20:39:39 »
A long time ago I worked on a survival-horror style Knytt Stories level. I abandoned the project, and it is still abandoned. I've decided to release it as a novelty. It contains creepy graphics and effects, a 3D-like perspective, and a smidgen of key-and-lock gameplay. You can use and edit the graphics for KS projects I you so wish.

Download Survival Horror Demo 190 KB
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 20:41:17 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: Survival Horror Demo [puzzle/small/easy]
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 21:26:59 »
Cool, I somehow thought you would have got more of this done.  The 3d effect is nice, and
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:05:13 »
Well, I removed all of the half-made graphics. There was quite a bit of partially completed stuff. I wont attempt something like this again until I've learned Blender. Making graphics in a 3D modeler is the most practical way to approach a project like this. I expect I'll have to learn Blender for another project soon. I need a score of 8-way isometric characters performing many actions.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 16:58:59 »
It is really impressive. I love the first screen.
I hope there will be more of it some day...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 17:04:54 by Polana »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 17:35:54 »
Cool, I somehow thought you would have got more of this done.  The 3d effect is nice, and
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
How?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 19:51:54 »
@ ixMarcel: I guess your question is "How do I water the plant." When you push down in front of the vase a message displays. If you push down you go back to exploration mode. If you jump while the message is displayed, then you go to inventory mode.

It's not a great control scheme. I was trying to force KS to be something it wasn't. If I had completed the game there would have been a tutorial at the beginning.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:47 »
This is a neat little tech-demo. I won't lament the project's demise, though. It does give me some ideas about the potential for key-and-lock gameplay in Knytt Stories, but I think I prefer the simpler system of interaction used in Raicuparta's level Some Room.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 20:14:34 »
I'm glad you mentioned Some Room. I think Raicuparta's level has a much better system to work from for playing and programming. Combine that with KS+'s Flag(All) check and you could have some complex puzzles without complex programming (compared to this demo anyway.) The only advantage this demo has is an inventory system allowing you to choose which item to use. But, an inventory could probably be added to Some Room's system with some creativity.