[Small/Challenge/Hard] Enemy Mine

• 6 Replies
[Small/Challenge/Hard] Enemy Mine
« on: February 20, 2011, 17:25:13 »
The gameplay was inspired by dessgeega's "The Oubliette." The art is something new, using a rough, colored pencil style.

I'm calling it "hard" because it was hard for me to finish. Maybe I'm just crappy at video games.

Give it a try and let me know.

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/DaveGermainGames%20-%20Enemy%20Mine.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 17:29:07 by dave.germain »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: [Small/Challenge/Hard] Enemy Mine
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 18:21:52 »
I love the tileset. Awesome job on that. I do miss a bit of edge on the corners where the ground/ceiling and background collide to give it a bit more cartoon feel I suppose. Other than that, great job.

I haven't actually played the level yet, this is pure based on the screenshots provided. If I can find some time I might play this one.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 20:01:56 »
this wall (1st attachment) isn't flat (i'm standing on a tiny step), same for the wall in a screen below that screen

wallswim after i double-jumped from the left into the 2nd attached screen
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 21:04:57 by ortoslon »

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 21:51:24 »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 22:24:48 »
Nice little level. "Hard" is a fair assessment of the difficulty. I thought for sure you had used traditional tilesetting to make this, until I looked in the editor. Your technique has some definite advantages in development speed and visual possibilities, but for a small level that has such a simple appearance 17+ MB is a bit overkill.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 14:36:40 »
ortoslon: sweet playthrough. I make way more mistakes than that. Hehe. And thanks for spotting that wallswim. I didn't have any time for testing as I wanted to put it into the Level Comp.

egomassive: I think the size is coming from the gradients (7mb) and music (5.5mb). I suppose I could trim the gradient size down a lot by just repeating one or 2 gradients. I'm not too concerned with download size as most people can handle 17mb. However, as the levels get bigger, I might have an issue. Right now, my method is basically restricted to 128 unique Knytt screens (because of the 256 tileset limit and I'm using 2 unique tilesets per screen).   

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 17:07:05 »
Quite a nice level you made their. I like it. It looks good, I don't have a clue about those tileset things, since I don't make levels  :P2 but just from the point of view of a player it is nice. The challenge was ok, some screens where ntbustingly hard, but overall it was totally doable with some patience.  :nuts: