[environmental] Explorer

• 10 Replies

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
[environmental] Explorer
« on: February 20, 2011, 15:55:32 »
Massive exploration level.  (fallout theme dropped) I'm trying to make this into an extremely large map that can be explored for a long time. I also want to try my idea for a cinematic or animated cutscenes, if it hasn't already been thought of.

Screenshots at the bottom.

Tilesets that i'm making:
vault tileset, from fallout - complete
city 17 tileset, from half life - incomplete
underground city tileset, my own - incomplete
dirt/ desert tileset, my own - incomplete

Screen count: Used 84, Blank(so players don't see a void screen) 2, Total 86
Percent complete: Undetermined
Zones complete: zero, one in progress
Story: None so far
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 00:12:56 by me »

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
Re: [environmental] Explorer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:31 »
Since nobody has yet responded :/, I decided to say something. I read the wild world preview by Dj Gopher and saw that he said it took him 45 min to make a certain screen and I noticed that it doesn't take me anywhere near as long to make a screen. Probably because I'm terrible at backgrounds. So now I've decided to show how I make a single average quality  screen in under five min.     First, i draw the land with a neutral tile. I let my hand flow freely to give the ground a more naturally random feel.     Second, I fill the ground in.     Third, I add the edge detail.     Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth, I add the BG scenery.   I do every screen that way.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:40:09 by me »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:09:30 »
I'm surprised this thread slipped through the cracks, this looks like it will be a great level. Have you been working on it steadily since February? You must have quite a bit done by now, but I'm wondering how long it's likely to be before an "extremely large map" sees release.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 13:40:00 »
Ooh, another large level thread! Sorry I haven't responded earlier. This looks like it could become a very nice level! How much of it have you completed so far?

About screen editing, for me it's usually a bit longer than the process you describe. Sometimes the screen doesn't look good enough and I have to change the shape of the ground here and there, or maybe there's some sort of continuity I haven't thought of - some connection with the way the ground is in the adjacent screens - and I have to fix that; sometimes I get carried away and only realize the ground is too high/too low for normal gameplay after I have completed the screen, so I have to redo everything, and so on...

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 15:23:25 »
I've been working steadily for the most part but it's slow work even for how long it takes me to make a screen. If it ends up taking too long then I will probably cut it short or maybe even turn it over to the community to help(with rules and supervision of course). I'm very patient so that probably won't happen, but I don't know how patient the community is. Iv'e done much more than 36 screens now so I will need to count them and update that. I also sometimes have trouble with inspiration but that never lasts for long. I sometimes draw some areas before I make them so maybe I could show that.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:51:14 »
You should go with backgrounds because they add such depth and quality to each screen it's worth the 2 extra minutes working on them.

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 19:12:42 »
It's not about the time it takes to make backgrounds, its that i'm terrible at them

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 21:31:03 »
try doing what you do for the foreground, only on a smaller scale with paler colours. :P
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 00:39:57 »
I never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 20:21:19 »
Yep, knytt without backgrounds is like... oh, I don't know... like a thing that needs a thing, without that thing, that it needs.

Looking good other than that.

Offline me

• Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 06:39:06 »
Updated my screenshots so you can see the stuff i added in the background(not much), updated the screen count, and added other progress trackers.